Boost to forum membership

parsnips

I run a ten year old Tosh laptop with Windows 10 v1703. When I was pushed onto v1709 everything went awol. So I rolled back the OS to 1703. I have no problems running Chrome on this forum and its quite quick (I only have a 2.4 Mbs down through copper) and I have an android tablet and an Android G4 phone. No problems running this forum on these. The other place, about to expire, is very slow to load but runs fine. The longest I wait for a page to load is 5 or ten seconds. I am going to be relying on this place for all the help I have received over the years when the other place closes.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Chancer"]

This is my final posting on this forum unless someone can be botherd to sort out the myriad problems, living where I do in France I have more than enough hoops to jump through every day just to lead a normal life without additional ones, I have no more paint to watch dry. Given its continued deterioration since the las new and improved user experience I wont hold my breath.

[/quote]

Eh, Eh, Calm down Chancer.  You are not the only one using a windows PC, I am on two but no problems for a while with t'forum. I did suffer the same issues as you are some time back and gave the forum a miss.  I don't know enough to give advice but when things start going haywire I look to do some PC house keeping.  I use programs like System mechanic to de frag and de clag the machine and they work for me.  If it was all this forum software lots more of us would be suffering.  That missing for a couple of minutes cursor issue was with me up and till just a couple of weeks ago.

[quote user="alittlebitfrench"]http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/laptops-portable-pcs/laptops-and-netbooks/acer-chromebook-15-1277917/review

A chromebook for £279

Download firefox and you are soughted.

No anti virus software needed.

You have google version of office.

Your android phone will sync with it.

Et voila.

DEATH TO MICROSOFT !!![/quote]

That doesn't look bad and with amazing battery life

The only real downside to a Chromebook is the need to have an internet connection. Not an issue at home or in hotels etc and even on the move if you have a smartphone to tether to it will still operate. What you can't do is download films and so forth for offline watching - well, you can, sort of, but it's not satisfactory.

I have never seen the point of downloading a film and watching it on a laptop, tablet or whatever. I just can't think of a situation where I would want to watch a film on a laptop.

I will download a film and watch it on telly. But am I going to watch again on a laptop ???

Once you have seen the film, you have seen the film. If you really like the film and want to watch it again, watch it again on a telly.

You can download a netflix film/series onto a chromebook.

[quote user="JSKS"]The only real downside to a Chromebook is the need to have an internet connection. Not an issue at home or in hotels etc and even on the move if you have a smartphone to tether to it will still operate. What you can't do is download films and so forth for offline watching - well, you can, sort of, but it's not satisfactory.[/quote]

Could you download to a media drive and watch that later?

You can call me betty:

No. A laptop or PC can be used without an internet connection because all the data is strored on the device's hard drive. For example if you were writing a document on a PC you can save it to the hard drive. On a Chromebook you cannot even open the word processor to start writiing unless you have the 'net.

In effect, the internet becomes the Chromebook's hard drive.

[quote user="richard51"]ALBF When we were flying back from Seville on Sunday (by Ryanair) a couple near us were watching a film on their tablet.[/quote]

What were they watching ?

Airplane ?

Airport 77 ?

Air crash investigation ?

(I would love to watch Air crash investigation on a plane with the volume turned up loud). Tee Hee.

[quote user="JSKS"]You can call me betty:

No. A laptop or PC can be used without an internet connection because all the data is strored on the device's hard drive. For example if you were writing a document on a PC you can save it to the hard drive. On a Chromebook you cannot even open the word processor to start writiing unless you have the 'net.

In effect, the internet becomes the Chromebook's hard drive.[/quote]

Noo, no, no.

You can use google docs and work offline.

[quote user="JSKS"]You can call me betty:

In effect, the internet becomes the Chromebook's hard drive.[/quote]

Ah get it, totally cloud based

I guess some feel differently, but I haven't lugged a laptop around (in fact, I've barely used one) since I stopped working on a regular basis. I seem only to switch one one to do stuff like my tax return or the odd spreadsheet. Day to day I use a tablet, and for travelling I can manage just fine with phone and kindle fire. Off on hols soon, with 10 audiobooks and a couple of box sets downloaded, all in a gadget the size of a very thin paperback book. I wouldn't dream of carting a laptop.

The point of the chromebook is that it isnt a laptop and because the hardware is stripped down they are cheaper and use less power giving good battery life. You can add storage to the chromebook but if you are going to do that you might as well get a conventional laptop.

They work best when online using the cloud for storage and retrieval. The advantage of this cloud-based system is that you can never lose your data even if the machine falls in the sea.

You do, however, become totally reliant on the Google environment but that's no bad thing when all your devices are synced to the same Google account.

Chancer wrote : its not his machine as there is no problem on any other site

If you have cleared all the cookies for this site and done a general clean-up as per the previous poster who temporarily had the same cursor problem as you and you find that your problem is still not corrected then, as you say, you might be right that it is not your machine at fault. But I would be surprised .. as there does seem to be smthg adrift with your machine .. but finding the fault might be difficult.

I use either an android tablet, a win7 laptop or a win10 laptop to access this site and can only replicate the quoting problem .. when gobbledy gook appears all over the shop .. everything else works fine and quickly with no adverts anywhere.