French motorists are just thick as...

Last Friday evening I had to drive a Volvo X90 through the busy centre of a town I know quite well. PàD is universal there. It was dark. I got accustomed to the bigger than I’m used to vehicle and it’s unfamiliar to me automatic gearbox on the straight avenue I started on. What I didn’t expect when I stopped to give PàD was for the engine to stop. Once I’d discovered that upon pressing the brake pedal it restarted I became more confident. I completed the round trip without hitting anything but did spend quite a long time trying to do a three point turn in a car park without being able to find reverse! The joys of strange cars.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If by stop-start you are refering to an eco fuel saving system, then I fail to see why it is a problem. Indeed it is very useful (if your battery is OK).

In fact I would go as far as to say that one is "thick" or perhaps just has too much money or disregard for the environment if you dont want one.

I have learned a lot about myself today, that I am sad for living in a one bedroomed flat and from another forum that i am sad for having a grotty semi in the UK, now I learn that I am thick and/or have too much money and/or disregard the environment.

I guess I deserve it all for being sober for 5 years.

I did 3 bank jobs today ALBOF!

Told Credit Epargne what I thought of them after waiting a week for a RDV to open an account when they phoned to cancel 20 mins before because la personne was absente and that I would have to wait for her to feel like turning up to work to give me another RDV. I need my 4th Banque in France as numbers 2 and 3 where I currently hold accounts have both stolen/lost my money recently.

Went into town to check out the remaining 4, waited in line in one and was so disgusted with how rude the cashier was with the people in front of me I gave them a swerve, tried another to get the same warm Picard welcome from the girl there who told me I would have to wait é weeks or a month for someone to give me a RDV, told her that I was going to follow my instinct and go elsewhere, bank next  door pretty much the same story but i stuck my ground and she went and woke up the Directeur who decided to see me, still not got an account, still have an obscene amount of cash & cheques in my Pocket that I dont trust the others not to misappropriate, he may call me back later this week.

But then again he probably wont.

How did we get from french driving sytandards to 'attacking banks'.... love this forum.

Richard -   Here's an idea - if you've got too much cash and cheques in your pocket (if you don't want to donate to my charity - me) -

then why don't you stand in front of the cashier -

and WAVE your money around - and ask why don't they want it..!!

You might then get some attention, maybe even the red carpet.   You probably turn up looking a bit of a scruff with grubby jeans and they think 'nope, no money, can't be bothered' !!!   (Sorry, my attempt at teasing, not meant to be rude....XX)

Chessie

Frankly I doubt that french cashiers could give a damn about any sort of money waving, and would likely start asking how a person got hold of it.

French driving......... 'special', but I have to say, that people seemed to be sticking to the speed limit last time I was back, which was remarkable.

And pray why blame a cyclist if they end up in an accident with a motorised vehicle. I am not saying that cyclists cannot  be silly when on the roads, but there are too many drivers who do not seem to understand how to drive when there are cyclists about and put them at risk. These people also tend to put everyone else at risk, because they are simply rubbish drivers.

Simply ego. We all have it, or just about.

driving and also ie love making, who would say that they are rubbish at it.

Few say that they are rubbish drivers and those that do, and I know some, tend to hang up their licence and not drive any more. 

And frankly they may not be, just maybe a nagging nagging nagging spouse/OH who reduced their self confidence. In fact, it may have been they who were really the good driver, as there is nothing worse than a lousy driver whinging at ANYONE else who's is behind the wheel!!!!!!

And I suppose some who say that they are lousy drivers may be.

I like driving, I do most of the driving these days. Am I good? As the expression goes, not for me to say, but I try to be and I am told I am, passengers thank me and compliment me, and all they need say is, thanks for the lift etc.

I am the safest driver in the world. I am actually very good in snow as well. I have no idea why.

Thing is, I hate driving. I really don't enjoy it. Especially in France. Not because of 'bad driving' but because it bores me to tears. I like driving lorries and vans mind you.

The only exception is in central Paris where I just love to drive. It is fun.

I kinda like driving in the UK but largely because it is all new and different. In France, rather be a passenger.

[quote user="idun"]Simply ego. We all have it, or just about.

driving and also ie love making, who would say that they are rubbish at it.

Few say that they are rubbish drivers and those that do, and I know some, tend to hang up their licence and not drive any more. 
[/quote]

Is this what you mean?

I wonder how they rate their performance in either of the disciplines.  

[quote user="Chancer"]

What is wrong with someone owning a 20 year old car?

You make it sound as bad as being older or more disabled than you are.

[/quote]

I rather think that PatF was talking about the age of the drivers rather than the cars!.  I must admit, I do begin to think that  having to undergo some some sort of medical after (say 70-80) - to allow you continue to drive is  GOOD IDEA.  I followed someone yesterday who found the white line easier to cross and use as a guide than to stay on the correct side of the white line.  And that was only about 10am so I hope not due to inebriation the previous night!

Not sure about medical to decide fitness to drive.

The Institute of Advanced Motorists (sorry, I know, UK !) - do have training courses, and also provide assessment and guidance for older motorists.   As a former IAM member I know how just how good these courses were in improving individual driving standards.

There was a programme on UK tv not so long ago which covered exactly this subject;  elderly drivers with families concerned about the declining ability of their older family members.

Surprisingly, most of the older drivers did very well on their driving assessment test - so being an OAP doesn't necessarily mean being 'doddery' or slow.   In fact the older driver can be a lot safer because experience and ability to read the road is far better in such drivers, rather than the 'yoof' drivers who think their quick reaction times will always get them out of trouble.

Yes, older driver can be a 'nuisance'...

But it is, really, the new, young French drivers who do need to be taught differently.

Chessie

Like you Chessie I was an IAM member (car) and wish there was something similar in France. There is Prévention Routière but that is more a movement to encourage good behaviour on the road. Has anyone tried finding a retired driving instructor or examiner for on the road lessons?

[quote user="chessie"]Not sure about medical to decide fitness to drive.

The Institute of Advanced Motorists (sorry, I know, UK !) - do have training courses, and also provide assessment and guidance for older motorists.   As a former IAM member I know how just how good these courses were in improving individual driving standards.

There was a programme on UK tv not so long ago which covered exactly this subject;  elderly drivers with families concerned about the declining ability of their older family members.

Surprisingly, most of the older drivers did very well on their driving assessment test - so being an OAP doesn't necessarily mean being 'doddery' or slow.   In fact the older driver can be a lot safer because experience and ability to read the road is far better in such drivers, rather than the 'yoof' drivers who think their quick reaction times will always get them out of trouble.

Yes, older driver can be a 'nuisance'...

But it is, really, the new, young French drivers who do need to be taught differently.

Chessie

[/quote]

Isn’t it a pity that it’s unlikely that anyone young and French is likely to be reading this thread and is therefore unable to answer this horrendous slur. Nasty.

Judith - thanks for your comment. You're right - if it wasn't for the fact that the roads here are very quiet many of us older folk would soon be banned from driving.

The french govt. has debated the introduction of medical tests for older drivers, but it wan't passed. Maybe because many isolated older people would be even more isolated.

When we return to the UK (I'm dreading it) I hope I won't have to drive again. Good public transport there.

Patf. indeed, and I feel a bit the same.  There is a big problem here in France of poor driving at all levels, some of it is because they do  not get the experience of road traffic that we get in the UK.  Like wise, I am getting to that age when I might have to have a test, and having not drivien a great deal over the last year due to the hip op, I do find my concentration not quite what it was.  Yes, most of the roads round  here are pretty empty too, though not as empty as the Gers I guess, except for peak holiday periods, but I do find that my concentration levels decrease more than they used to, needing to take more breaks ... but c'est la vie ... I am still of the opinion that speed in itself is not the culprit, it is the lack of driving experience which mainly causes the accidents.

The only "accident" I had here was caused by someone (French) driving on the wrong side of the road ...  he admitted he was not concentrating but thinking about something else ... happily I was OK, if shocked, the car was OK and driveable after immedieately, but better after it was repaired (door straightening and new wing mirror).  I had taken avoiding action when I saw him, but he, instead of continuing on the wrong side of the road so we could have passed OK, moved back onto the correct side of the road, but not with enough time for me to take another avoiding movement  ... so typical of lack of experience!

BinB -   YOU are the one being 'nasty'.   In the interests of being pedantic, and to elucidate, for those with an 'ism' or an 'ology' in dermatologically challenged body covering -

it is a well known, accepted, fact that the majority of deaths of young men, between the ages of 18 - 25 is due to fatal car accidents.   Before a recent eu diktat the UK insurance companies could 'load' the premiums of young male drivers because they were at higher risk.

It is a world-wide phenomenon - young men, testosterone and cars - are a fatal combination.

Now twerp - where's the 'nasty slur on the french' in the comments I made earlier.

This was a reasonable discussion until a snowflake intervened.

Chessie