Rental Agreement

cooperlola

First of all, apologies if this is a repeat (bound to be) but a search yielded nothing useful.  Friends have entered into a 6-month rental agreement while the renters look for a property to buy. Both couples are English (the cottage owners and the renters), so the contract is in English.  Does anybody know where I can get hold of a basic French version of such a thing as the bank needs proof of residence and don't understand the English contract! 

Is this a legal document they have signed regardless of what language it is in or just something one of them has typed out? I say this because french property rental has a lot of protection for the renters regarding eviction during winter, inventory of the state of the property before they move in etc. The only place you could probably get a copy of a document would be a legal letting agency, I have papers for the flat my daughter rents and there are many with many clauses and penalties and this was a reputable agency.I don't think any english document would stand up in a tribunal here if the worst happened for either party so they really should get a notaire to draw up some sort of legal binding contract, it would be better for peace of mind.

Without going into all the details, they intend to get a notarised French document sorted in the near future.  However, in the meantime, the renters need to open a bank account just to sort out the basics, such as getting a telephone installed, getting a bank card for petrol etc.  I spoke to the bank today (I'm the official translator!!) and have set up an appointment for them next week.  However, the bank needs proof of residence and said the basic agreement between both parties was fine, but needed to be in French.  I just thought if I could find a "pro forma" french agreement it would make my task of producing a french version look a bit more authentic and prevent any translation mistakes.

If the agreement is for up to six months maximum then, in order to provide protection to the owner, this will surely be, by definition, a "holiday rental".  As such it will probably not be sufficient to show ressidency in any case.

If your friends enter into a fomal residential tenancy agreement then the tennants will almost certainly have the right to remain in the property for a minimum of three years if they choose to do so and it could be very difficult for your friends to get them out.   I would say it is safer to stick to the holiday let contract and if that doesn't help the tennants then that isn't really your friends' problem.

Can't you and your friends just be a little creative over the address at the moment.

From previous threads on here most banks seem to understand that to get things like utilities, telephones etc in place you need a bank account to begin with. It's then the utility bills that show the bank where you are actually living. I understand the need to be honest but if your friends' are honest eventually ............. so what?

Benjamin

[quote user="cooperlola"] Does anybody know where I can get hold of a basic French version of such a thing as the bank needs proof of residence and don't understand the English contract! [/quote]

Hi, you can buy tenancy agreements in stationary shops.

[quote user="booboo"]

[quote user="cooperlola"] Does anybody know where I can get hold of a basic French version of such a thing as the bank needs proof of residence and don't understand the English contract! [/quote]

Hi, you can buy tenancy agreements in stationary shops.

[/quote]Thanks, that's all I wanted to know. Ta.[:)]

When we rented about 4 years ago and had to get bank account etc the owners of the gite provided a letter, in french, that just said we were living in their property since (date) and we also provided an EDF bill (in the owners name not ours) and got bank account and phone, no problem. Other people I know have had the same thing, just a letter, and managed to buy cars and do all sorts. Hope that helps too.

[quote user="Eslier"]If the agreement is for up to six months maximum then, in order to provide protection to the owner, this will surely be, by definition, a "holiday rental".  As such it will probably not be sufficient to show ressidency in any case.
[/quote]

Holiday let can only be a maximum of 90 days with no renewal.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...