1001 Uses for a Carte de Sejour

They are plastic with a little flex. So they could be quite useful for pottery work.

They are also quite sharp around the edges so I think they would be quite use on a camping trip. Cutting cheese, bread, saucisson, that sort of thing. Forget a Swiss army knife. A CDS is what you need.

If you were trapped in a German POW camp I reckon you could actually dig an escape tunnel with it.

Hi Norman, don't know why you bothered replying.

Although they are both quite annoying, it seems to keep them happy.

Ignorance is bliss.

I was thrown off the phoney estate agents' forum for calling ignoramuses (or should that be ignorami?) ignorant.

Hope that's not the case here, although I don't really care that much.

LOL Mogs, at least you see the funny side.

It would be quite useful also for cutting up cocaine....you know like they do on the movies.

So if you are a cocaine addict living in the Dordogne....get yourself a 'carte de sejour'. It will come in very handy. Not only will you be able to cut up your cocaine into neat little piles but also use it to pay cheques with it. Not that anyone accepts cheques anymore. So basically I guess it is just a cocaine cutter. Hmm.

Just remember not get caught by the police with cocaine and the CDS at the same time. LOL. That would not be very cool.

As a matter of fact I had a sterling cheque that I wanted to credit to a French account last week, but I wasn't in the town where I have my branch, nor did I have any of my bank details, not even my debit card.

I gave the cashier my CdS which has both my identity and my address on it and she was quickly able to trace the  details of my account and pay in the cheque.

So for once you have a scintilla of accuracy in one of you posts: a CdS can be used to pay in a cheque...

To repeat: you were wrong as usual when you said

"Pointless things that don't fit in your wallet or your back pocket. They do nothing that your DL or passport does not do."

I

have mine in my wallet since it is the same size as a credit card; it

acts as ID in most situations (such as if I need it in the bank or in

hospital) and, unlike a UK passport also has my address on it so it acts

as a useful proof of where I live as well as my identity. It also has

my fingerprints in the chip  on the card.

I used it 3 times last week.

LOL....

Worse than proving your identity 3000 times a week is the French obsession with the 'attestation' !!

You need a sodding 'attesation' for everything in France. In fact, what the hell is an 'attesation' ?

It really drives me up the wall. I need an attestation to prove that I have a head.

I am sure the 'attestation' was invented to keep the French postal service in business.

Talking of which, how many teachers of French actually teach the word 'attestation' to their students ?????

Personally I think it should be the first word people should learn before moving to France.

ALBF, it used to be A LOT WORSE, for attestations than it is now.

Used to need a Fiche Individuelle and/or Fiche d'etat civile, for just about everything. Constant trips to the Mairie.

And Idun, being Idun, complained bitterly about the stupidity of it, the CE1 teacher told me that they were essential, absolutely essential as proof..... and I just grinned and quietly said that the forms could say what they wanted, but a form, was not proof the the Papa was the actual Papa.  Must say that she looked shocked and used to give my family and I, y compris my husband rather old fashioned looks after that.[Www]

Great when they stopped them.

I don't know why she would have looked quite so shocked, I thought it was generally accepted that the main point of who is "Papa" on the birth certificate only incidentally to do with biological parentage and more to do with legal responsibility / inheritance. Historically, where a rich man had fathered a child out of wedlock, there would be negotiations over who to put down as "papa", all very open, everybody knew and nobody bothered, there wasn't the same nudge-nudge-wink-wink surrounding it as maybe there was in England at that time. If the lord was in need of an heir he would be named as father, if he wasn't then another man would be named, maybe the husband or suitor or failing that some random chap chosen for the purpose, and the lord would compensate him appropriately. Now there aren't as many lords and counts etc I guess it doesn't happen as much but I think that in the French mindset, the most important aspect of "paternity" is not the act of procreation but the legal consequences of filiation.

Am I right in thinking that paternity tests are still illegal in France today?