Naturalisation

@Andy:

French law already has a whole raft of provisions aimed at clarifying the position for every category of immigrant, including special provisions for Algerians and other special groups, so I don't think it's beyond them to add provisions for Brits if they decide they are a special group. French law also sets out the rights of people of any nationality who have resided legally for over 5 years and meet the conditions. I don't think there are many grey areas of immigration situations that are not covered by the law, and I would be surprised if they decide to leave Brits in limbo and not legislate for them. Whatever the agreement is will then, I imagine, be codified.

https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F17359

ET

The point I have made before (though it is of course guesswork) is that there already exists a category for non-EU nationals, and after Brexit that is what British people will be.

I don't really see the need for a specific Brit category..

[quote user="alittlebitfrench"]I stand with Idun on this one.

Unless you have lived in France a long time and truly understand France and more importantly how diverse France is multiculturallly then you realise that gaining French nationality will not change anything.

I personally think you will complicate your life getting French citizenship. To suggest you are less British and more French is nonsense. What does that mean exactly ?[/quote]

1)There can be few areas more multicultural in France than my 'quartier'.

2)"gaining French nationality will not change anything." Apart from being able to vote and stand for elections in my case, and the right to do certain jobs for those who are of working age..

3) What are the complications you would envisage?

@Norman

OK you don't see a need but I think the EU may see a need, because it wants Britain to give special treatment to EU nationals already established in the UK, and this would have to be reciprocal. Probably it would only apply to those who are already here, but I thought that was what we're talking about.

A bi-lateral agreement on immigration with a non EU country wouldn't be a precedent as France already has one with Switzerland.

• 1 year later...
For anyone who is intending to apply for naturalisation, living in Haute-Garonne or the 'subsidiary' depts of Ariège, Aveyron, Gers, Lot, Hautes-Pyrénées, Tarn & Tarn-et-Garonne, then the Facebook group (almost 800 members) is very useful: British People Gaining French Citizenship Together In Toulouse. There may well be other groups for other depts.