How many /what percentage of contributors to this site live permanently in France

[quote user="alittlebitfrench"] You move to pro active modern areas where people don't give a tôss where you are from and would prefer to speak to you in English so they can practice their English. I have given up on speaking French. People want to talk to me in English. It most cases, that is not rural France especially rural France that has become Brit ghettos.  But....nobody listens to my advice.[/quote]

Taken me 14 years before finding someone who wants to talk to me in English and who is not drunk, everything comes to he who waits but I will not live long enough for the millenia that it would take for me to be accepted, they dont even accept their own kind, people from the next village are enemies, children that have moved away to become educated, better themselves (its not hard!) and make their living are treated as lepers when they return, those I have met are the only people who have any idea what its like for me as a foreigner here, and I am outgoing and make friends easily, still could be a lot worse, I could be coloured or gay, those I have met of both persuasions have all had to move to more enlightened areas.

My new friend who wants to improve her English with me has studied in Paris, worked in Dublin 2 years then Québec for 8 years before a break up forced her back to Amiens which is at least an enlightened place but she feels a complete outcast now.

I would happily live on the outskirts of Amiens or any enlightened French city which they probably all are if they have a dynamic economy, not within the metropole but on the boundary between it and France profonde.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coucou ma petite T.(my name removed by me)

Je pense toujours et très souvent à toi .
Comment tu vas ? j'espère que ta santé s'améliore 
de jour en jour et que tu es définitivement guérie .
Tu sais nous t'attendons tous pour la route des villages .

Je te fais d 'énorme bisous et te dit à très vite .

Jacqueline .

Received the above email today and I reckon that that speaks of friendship and warmth.  At least, it seems that way to me. 

If you or your family can't make friends, ALBF, then I am sorry but I have to conclude that that might say more about you than "the French in rural France"[:)]

By the way, that is just one of several emails I have received regularly during the last 12 months or so, not to mention all the various kindnesses shown me by my neighbours.

I don't count myself as friendless, rather that I have an embarrassment of friends and acquaintances.

[quote user="alittlebitfrench"]Well that is quite easy Richard. You move to pro active modern areas where people don't give a tôss where you are from and would prefer to speak to you in English so they can practice their English. I have given up on speaking French. People want to talk to me in English.

.[/quote]

So true, any of our French neighbours that speak English like to speak to me in English. I seem to rarely speak French except when shopping.

[quote user="alittlebitfrench"]Yes, but Idun. If you move to the Dordogne (for example) you will be seen as another 'Anglais' that will come and go.

They have seen it all before.[/quote] Try not to generalise, dear ;-) I moved over in 2007 with OH and mother in tow. Fair enough, 'our' village is totally anti-Brit, probably because there are 30+ Brit families here. But then again, they hate the Parisiens and each other too :-) So, I got adopted by a French Gersoise family and spent the next 8 years living a dual life. English during the week, French at weekends. A whole village-full of family and friends. Very rural and no pretensions, no one-up-man-ship. Just warmth, friendship and acceptance. So....try not to generalise, hein?

[quote user="Alan Zoff"]I would struggle to find someone in the village who could speak more than 3 words of English. Turns out that's not such a bad thing[/quote]

I can find a few people locally who know more than three words of English but not one of them could construct even a simple sentence.

[quote user="Alan Zoff"]Within the first 12 months of buying our house, we had 3 meals in French homes and were made completely welcome, even though we only spent a few weeks in France at that time. It's now a regular thing.

Perhaps it depends on the region but, as I said earlier, I chose this part of France because the people seemed nicest.[/quote]

Getting invited is not 'hard', people are curious, and as toooo many are brought up to believe that les anglais eat la m er de they want to 'show off' french cooking....and then they are faced with a sort of terror when invited back, not knowing what they would be served ?.

It wasn't those curious folk I first met who ended being close friends.

And some french people who moved to the village used to tell me that the people were cold and unfriendly, well, not with me.

Holiday home since 1970. Many many happy times with friends and family staying; loads of lovely local friends (French and British - and Dutch). Sold in 2017 because French inheritance laws meant I would not be able to share house among my stepchildren on my (hopefully not imminent) demise.

I did have the advantage of fluent French, having studied and, later, worked in France in the 1960s.

Having the house made a big change in my life, as it inspired and enabled me to became both a guidebook author and publisher.

I would never want to live in France full-time though. Far too hedged about with ever-changing rules and regulations. And UK food and shopping is so much better these days.

We had always intended to return to the UK - various reasons.
We enjoyed our 16 years in France, no complaints, but the time had come to leave.
We never had any illusions about being 'integrated' - IMO the french will always see us as etrangers, at the same time accepting us and being kind. (Usually). We also tried to help them.
It does help a lot if you speak french though. Any language barrier emphasises our differences.
Exceptions could be british children born and grown up in France, and british people with a french spouse.

[quote user="BritinBretagne"]Food and shopping, two of the reasons I don’t live in the U.K. It shows how we’re all different.[/quote]

The only thing I don't really like about the UK is 'British' culture. I don't think I could live back in the UK for that reason.

I prefer the UK countryside, I prefer UK driving, food is OK, shopping is probably better to fair and people are more sociable in every day life.

In fact the only thing I like about France is actually the culture....i.e the way people go about their lives. It is calm and no one is pretentious etc. People keep themselves to themselves.

It is funny given that 'French culture' probably is the main thing that Brits hate about France and why they end up moving back.

That probably also explains why the British want to create their own communities in France. Which annoys me BTW.

Those moving to Brit communities are not moving to France because they want to live in France. They are doing it for other reasons. It will end in tears.

I think I said that earlier LOL

[quote user="You can call me Betty"]I'm curious. What is it about this thread? People who seldom/rarely/never post, lured out of lurkerdom by such an innocuous question, just to add that yes, they live in France. Is there a prize?[/quote]

I don't know why they are coming out of hiding!  The question must somehow challenge, interest, prod them in some way?  So, I hope someone ask questions that get many more people posting!  And here's your prize, Betty[B]![:D]

We had annual village sales of our own produce and my home made bread, english style, always sold like 'hot cakes'.
And I had neighbours converted to my home made ice cream. And spice bread, which is completely different from the french version.

Another general lurker here, but occasional poster.

Holiday home bought in 2005, had some marvellous times here since, and just spent 3 months, and one of the most enjoyable summers we've ever had, over here.

Our experience is counter to ALBFs, but he's right about one thing; the house will always be a cost centre. But we knew that would be the case if we chose not to let it out.

However the pleasure we get from being here and sharing it with English and French friends well out-weighs that cost.

We have had nothing but kindness and been welcomed by our neighbours. Our French is passable, so that definitely helps, but some neighbours use us an means to teach their kids extra english at shared meals etc. And no complaints about our cooking so far.

Maybe it is a rural rather than urban thing- the villagers are a tiny bit anti Parisian, but that may be just for humour. When a local place came on the market, the Maire came to see us to ask if we had any brit fiends who would be interested.

We have no rose tinted specs, we know the system here sucks as much/little as in the UK, but its about choices, and this was ours. We have no regrets.

[quote user="alittlebitfrench"]A holiday home is very different to moving to France for life. Especially for those thinking of retirement as it could be a one way ticket.

I asked earlier,. Do you imagine being buried in France when you pop your clogs ? ?[/quote]

What does it matter where you are buried; you wouldn't know anything about it?

ALBF wrote : I asked earlier,. Do you imagine being buried in France when you pop your clogs ?

I don't envisage being buried anywhere but I would consider my ashes being scattered somewhere in France .. if ashes are still allowed to be scattered at that distant point in the future.

Edit: OH and I have lived here happily and full time since 2005