Cyclist shot in Les Gets

idun

This has been shocking news in the UK, but it is that time of year, and I would hope that everyone who lives in France, ie like the cyclist, should realise that it is a very dangerous time of year to go out and about when the chasseurs are about.

A couple of years before we left we had english friends staying with us and I realised that the blokes were missing, I asked their wives where the blokes had gone and they said for  walk in the woods. Truthfully, I went into a panic which I tried not to show, but it was obvious I was concerned.

No one knew which direction they had gone in, as there were many options from our french house. Fortunately they returned safe and sound, a long time later. I was very worried. We had had all sorts of 'incidents' in the area. And I do not trust the hunters.

A 10 year old girl was shot and killed by hunters a couple of weeks ago. She was having a picnic with her family and the hunters shot through the trees at something and claim the bullet bounced off a tree.

Our friend (French) was in her house a couple of weeks ago when a bullet cracked through the window, passed her nose and ended up embedded in the oak door the other side of the living room. Gendarme were called..the culprit was seen waving from a distance and running off.

So sad that so many people have been killed, particularly in tge last few years by hunters out enjoying their day and trying to keep numbers of sangliers down, which do so much damage.

I know that in some areas, numbers of hunters are dropping; many hope that the recent announcement that licences will cost less will encourage younger people to join local groups.

I feel that an eye test would be appropriate for hunting groups, although some people have difficulty arranging eye test appointments.

Another concern is that local groups in our area indulge in a lot of alcohol before, after and indeed during shoots.

My story, FWIW.....

Cycling up a steepish, bendy 2 miles or so climb in near to Marcilhac on

the River Cele I came across a lunatic and his rifle. He was

looking up through the forest that bordered the road. I called up to him

to make sure he knew I was there.

The next second there was a load of barking and a boar came charging

towards the lunatic chased by a pack of dogs running parallel to the road. The lunatic fires his

rifle, misses the boar which takes off at right angles further into the

wood.

The trajectory of this lunatic's shot was right across a hairpin bend

further up the hill just at the time a car was driving down. By luck he

missed the car and by luck I hadn't passed him (I slowed down). I gave

him a mouthfull and got the usual Gallic shrug.

If that's not enough I've some across quite a lot of hunt dogs running down the middle of the roads seemingly lost, plus, when they are trying to massacre everything breathes these idiots hair down the lanes in their 4x4s.

Don't move to rural France.

It is that simple.

La Chasse is part of French culture. Yes they are a bunch of drunken idiots that pose more threat to themselves and others than the wildlife.. But...they are a part of French culture.

Don't start on forums complaining about being shot at or barking dogs.

There is enough information out there about this.

Don't move to rural France if you don't get French culture. IT IS THAT SIMPLE !!!!

When I lived rural, going out on a Sunday was a no no. Even in the car. LOL.

I would never ever live rural France. It is that simple.

In rural France, I live in a house enclosed by a two metre wall. The only way I'll be shot on my own land is if the bloke in the house behind allows a sniper into his bedroom.

Personally, if you can't tell a fully Lycra-ed up cyclist (in bright blue, as I believe this poor guy was) from a wild animal, then frankly being let out with a firearm is pretty stupid.

albf says donā€™t move to rural France - hundreds of thousands of people live in rural France, many of whom were born there. So your advice is that they all stay hidden in their houses? Really?

We donā€™t live in rural France but in a small town of about 10,000 inhabitants. Our French neighbour in the next apartment goes hunting each week, as do several French friends. Their families go out into the countryside, some on the same walks as me, including our hunting neighbourā€™s wife - every week regular as clockwork.

Most of those in our walking groups are French, quite a few born and bred in villages and hamlets near our little town. Try telling them that they should stay indoors - theyā€™d tell you what to do in no uncertain terms, an English man trying to tell French people to stay indoors......

Yes...but if they grew up there they know the score.

I grew up rural UK, I know the score about rural life.

What are you trying to say here ?

I am fed up of reading threads about numpty Brits moving rural France and complaining about hunting and their neighbours barking dogs.

You have a choice !!! Don't move there.

When we lived rural we lived opposite a church. The hunters would gather at 7am ish on the square and they were already pƮssed.

That is French culture.

[quote user="alittlebitfrench"]Yes...but if they grew up there they know the score.

I grew up rural UK, I know the score about rural life.

What are you trying to say here ?

I am fed up of reading threads about numpty Brits moving rural France and complaining about hunting and their neighbours barking dogs.

You have a choice !!! Don't move there.

When we lived rural we lived opposite a church. The hunters would gather at 7am ish on the square and they were already pƮssed.

That is French culture.[/quote]

Get fed up all you like. There's a big difference between aspects of French "culture" like barking dogs and going out and murdering people.

How on earth is the shooter a victim???? Victim of what, he chose to take a loaded gun out.

At 22 he should have had good eyes and ears, unlike some from our village, vieux chasseurs, who would boie un canon or several before setting off for the hunt.

And I was NOT brought up in the countryside, but frankly, when you hear guns going off, you  ask what is going on.

AND our Mairie used to have a panneau where such info as the hunting season was shown.

OK, for holiday makers it is different but the man who was killed, lived there. Just goes to show how 'interested' one should be about one's environs when we move to France.

[quote user="idun"]
How on earth is the shooter a victim???? Victim of what, he chose to take a loaded gun out.

At 22 he should have had good eyes and ears, unlike some from our village, vieux chasseurs, who would boie un canon or several before setting off for the hunt.

And I was NOT brought up in the countryside, but frankly, when you hear guns going off, you  ask what is going on.

AND our Mairie used to have a panneau where such info as the hunting season was shown.

OK, for holiday makers it is different but the man who was killed, lived there. Just goes to show how 'interested' one should be about one's environs when we move to France.

[/quote]

I've got to agree. If you take a loaded gun out into public space you have to take FULL responsibility for anything that happens. If you end up killing (or injuring) an innocent person you should be severely punished. If you are found to be intoxicated the penalty should be even more severe.

DerekJ wrote : I've got to agree. If you take a loaded gun out into public space you have to take FULL responsibility for anything that happens. If you end up killing (or injuring) an innocent person you should be severely punished. If you are found to be intoxicated the penalty should be even more severe.

Whilst waiting to welcome our son home at Manchester airport seemingly aeons ago and concentrating on seeing him come through arrivals I was quite suddenly aware of a large presence beside me. Turning my head slightly I was eye-level (I am tiny) with a machine-gun held by a policeman. I was terrified.

I realised that this person was good, not evil, but simply the presence of a loaded arm adjacent to my left ear was extremely frightening.

To be in a position to hold an equivalent weapon, intent on killing a living being, should imbue the holder with caution and respect .. should it not ?

So what is it about hunting that causes some hunters to lose all reason ?

I think that by the time there were armed guards at UK airports, I had seen lots of guns in France, I seem to think that even centre commercial security guards had them at one point. So I wasn't bothered.

The only armed people who have ever worried me were the hunters in France and the idea that lots of people had guns and rifles at home and that there were too many 'accidents' with said arms.