will Macron be eating humble pie?

mint

Will Macron appear on TV full of remorse, apologise for his policies that have caused untold uproar, brought France to the brink of civil insurrection, and do all that is required to right the wrongs?

We all know that a French official will never admit to having made a mistake, it's always "there has been a mistake".

So, no - it'll be another dose of smoke and mirrors, blaming the right wing, the left wing, the casseurs, foreign agitators, uncle tom cobley and all, and offering some more crumbs from the full baguette.

And then it'll start up again.

An example. The government has refused to raise the SMIC by more than 1.8% saying it will create problems for employers.

No mention of "Yes we will increase the SMIC by more than 1.8% and adjust the tax paid by employers to compensate them. Give a little - get a lot more.

Macron and his gang don't have a clue how to deal with people - being a politician means a lot more than being a glorified overpaid accountant.

But what caused the GJ protests in the first place?

Fuel costs for rural dwellers who have to use their cars to travel to work.

No measures to address the huge increase in fuel taxes that have already been imposed- cancelling January's increase is like a mugger telling his victim "I've broken your left leg already, but I'm not going to break your right leg next January" - Hmm - yeah thanks very much.

The reactions so far don't seem very positive from hardcore GJ's it seems.

A statement from Eduarde Philippe due tomorrow for the details - should be interesting.

Thanks, fittersmate.

I met a GJ at the Aldi checkout today.  The checkout chap always teases me and we normally have a laugh together.  The GJ joined in the small talk and contempt for Macron came across very strongly when I mentioned that Macron had promised some changes (at that time, nobody knew yet what changes).

I think I mentioned on another thread recently that the cashier said that the end of every month tended to be very quiet in the shop as people had run out of money to buy even food.  So the pouvoir d'achat is truly a BIG concern for many.

Why on earth doesn't Macron suggest improvement to public transport for rural people. I.e. reducing fuel useage.

NB another thread disability is not always visible.

NB another - queen Jill (of no speciality except google) should accept that biological functions happen.

NB sweet people show their real colours when calling others turd - note that I did not use such vile language to other posters - I think?

NB assume gym night was free on the state .

NB why ask WB - he is more biased than the bbc and surely you have a TV or radio.

"What he could have done was to announce a real in depth purge on government spending"

I thought I remembered this as one of his ̶l̶i̶e̶s̶ ̶h̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶h̶e̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶t̶r̶y̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶g̶e̶t̶ ̶e̶l̶e̶c̶t̶e̶d̶ policies on the run up to last election?

[quote user="richard51"]Why on earth doesn't Macron suggest improvement to public transport for rural people. I.e. reducing fuel useage.

NB another thread disability is not always visible.

NB another - queen Jill (of no speciality except google) should accept that biological functions happen.

NB sweet people show their real colours when calling others turd - note that I did not use such vile language to other posters - I think?

NB assume gym night was free on the state .

NB why ask WB - he is more biased than the bbc and surely you have a TV or radio.[/quote]

Good gracious, got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning?

Niggle, niggle, dig, dig, assume, assume......meh, meh, meh, meh...

To put you out of your misery, I will answer you but only this once.  Where to begin?  OK, let's start with these assumptions that you make about me.  Why would gym night "be free on the state"?  I don't see why it shouldn't be as I understand that some NHS doctors prescribe gym fees to encourage people to lose weight, heighten their moral, build up their strength etc.  But, for me, as you so obviously grudge me it, I will tell you that I pay 60 euros a year for 2 nights a week and that the fee lasts the usual French year, from September to July.  Clear now?  No need to assume, you only had to ask![:)]

At other times you have assumed that I was too lazy or too something to get my flu vac at the pharmacie or wherever instead of having the nurse around.  Well, I told you about that one, didn't I?  Remember?  AFAIK I hadn't realised that pharmacies offered it; certainly no one including my doctor told me that....perhaps they don't do that around here.

You are the person who mentioned the T word.  Me, never said that but then I wouldn't would I?  I don't do blatant or use language that would make my mother blush.  Also, you might like to remember the context.  People were thinking up what would be an appropriate name for you.  Dick the Small or Dick the Large, Dick 1 or Dick 2?  Joining in the fun (as one does when it becomes irrisistible) I offered Richard III (notice the capital Roman letters?  so not even spelt out).  I think Betty cottoned on pretty quickly, as I would expect ([:P]) and .....e v e n t u a l l y....you realised and decided to have a Eureka moment about it, positively shouting it out to everybody.  Then you made remarks about urban slang, etc etc etc.  Me, I don't do urban slang....maybe just good old Cockney rhyme when the occasion arises.

Another assumption,I mentioned in passing on another subject, that the tax office fined me 20 euros for a late payment when I already paid by prélèvement  You told me to just pay up, that I could afford it and that it would be like a charity.  Look, I don't need you to tell me to pay up lamely a sum of money that I do not owe, I don't need you to tell me what I could afford and I am quite capable of choosing a charity myself.  Is all that OK with you?

As for asking Wooly for his opinion, I'll ask whoever's opinion I want.  I RESPECT Wooly's opinion (OK, NOT always[:D]) but I knew that on this occasion, he would have probably heard Macron speak live on TV and he DOES understand French, you know.  We have the same sense of childish humour often and we have spent years making each other laugh on the Forum.  He can be relied upon to pick up on any wickedness on my part.

Don't overreach yourself trying to rile me.  It's not going to work.  My illnesses are now in abeyance, I am re-gathering my force, I feel just tickety boo:  only kiné appointments till March (so no cancelling Christmas like I had to last year), my hair is re-growing shiny and thick, I am losing the chemo weight, I can nordic walk again, I can even do my own housework!  Don't know how long these good times will last but, whilst they do, I intend to make the most of it.  You can niggle all you want, it's the proverbial water off a duck's back.

Noticed my change of signature tag?  YES, no longer feeling fearful or worried or suffering insomnia so the old signature line of fear being born when one day we learn that which the day before we didn't know was no longer applicable.  I have been reading some Proust and reading about him too.  He suffered appallingly in all sorts of manner during his life but he still produced work of beauty and wisdom.

Slow down a bit, old chap, and stop making assumptions.....

"People were thinking up what would be an appropriate name for you. Dick the Small or Dick the Large, Dick 1 or Dick 2? Joining in the fun (as one does when it becomes irrisistible) I offered Richard III (notice the capital Roman letters? "

Bet you were one of the school bullies and always right.

And it is slang

http://www.cockneyrhymingslang.co.uk/

So, Nimty, a slightly hairless duck off which water doth flough with naw trubble. And, like Welsh rabbit, Welsh duck it seems. Does that quack in North Wellian or with a Southern dialect?

How does it do duck squats, like an old duck or a revived one? And doeople shout out when you are coming ‘Duck’?

But Proust, sheerey madnessy, dear, seems the chemistry got yer brains. Wat is wrong with het usual diet of Bills and Moon.

Remember that the Real Richard 3 took his loose women to battle with him and that he was in fact calling out My hors, my hors, my kingdon for my hors! ( But Shakespearey was too modest to tell thre truth as the censor would have had his knuts).

Humble pie, I doubt it, but then he cannot clean up the Augean Stable created by and since Mitternad the Faschistnosorryoopsichangedsides.

And yes, I am stone called sobriety today as I have to cross tomorrow under to the wedontnowhatwewantlandofBrexshit!

Watch it, Richard Shortshank, she will have you speaking in a very high voice. You have roused the ducking in her, so bewary of her teeths. And if you dont believe that Welsh ducks have teeth, I promise you that there are stranger things than that high in the hill villages of Cwmry

Getting back on subject, if  am allowed to post now that I have moved back to Blighty [:-))][:-))].

I was under the impression that Macron was elected because he promised to make changes. Changes that almost all of the French we know said were necessary, but they also said 'tomorrow'!

Good luck to him!

Wools, enjoy yourself and ignore the weather if possible.  You might be arriving at an "hysterical" moment you never know and they might blame it all on people like you who live in another country and go home to make trouble!

Jonz, Macron won't be the first or last president to try and effect changes, only to have to back down when revolution threatens.  Twas ever thus.  OH keeps on saying that he will be a one-term president.  But perhaps the devil you know is better than the one you don't?

Yet another one "known to police" and I thought security would be really tight with the Christmas market and all those MEPs there?

What is happening?  Can I go to sleep for 100 years and only wake up when it's all over?  But then again, our whole planet might well not last as long as a century?

[quote user="Jonzjob"]
Getting back on subject, if  am allowed to post now that I have moved back to Blighty [:-))][:-))].

I was under the impression that Macron was elected because he promised to make changes. Changes that almost all of the French we know said were necessary, but they also said 'tomorrow'!

Good luck to him!

[/quote]

But the plans he proposed before he was elected to "take france forward" didn't involve picking the pockets of the population as far as I remember.

From LaDepeche today:

"Blocage du pont de la Treille vendredi

Les syndicats ne comptent pas baisser les bras. Dès vendredi une

opération coup de poing est d'ores et déjà prévue à Auch. Ils appellent à

se réunir dès 10h30 afin de bloquer le pont de la Treille (au carrefour

entre la rue de Lorraine et le boulevard Sadi Carnot). Un pique-nique

est prévu sur place."

This is one of the things I can't help loving/admiring about France. They're using the occasion to have picnic [:D]

What elicitated my respect for the French government is this:  they are allowing the GJs to go ahead with their manifestations this weekend.

They could have forbidden large public gatherings, using the Strasbourg attack as an excuse.

So chapeau to them!

Since returning to the UK in Feb. this year I've realised that our priorities have changed.
Especially with Brexit.

Those of you who have decided to stay in France have naturally different priorities to those of us who have returned to the UK, or have a foot in both.