Call calling - grrrrrrrrrrrrr

Evianers

Mostly I dont bother to answer the fone at certain times. Those people who matter know to contact me in other ways.

When I do answer, depending on the caller, they either get short shrift or a polite chat and a request to remove me from their call list which seems to work.

In addition, the fone is inthe study with the door shut so often not heard.

What I hate is the ones that when you answer it's a message machine. Still, at least I don't have to use my stock answer: "Sorry I don't speak French". LOL By the way call barring doesn't always work in the UK if the calls are from a foreign country.

Nick P says "call barring doesn't always work in the UK if the calls are from a foreign country"

We had to replace our phone a while back and bought one of the BT ones that screen ALL your calls. Anyone who rings is advised that we are using BT call screening and that they need to say their name before we get to hear who it is and decide if we want to accept the call. Since we got the phone, we haven't had a single nuisance call. And it doesn't disturb us, because the phone won't ring at all our end until the caller has identified themselves. We can list those numbers of friends and family that we are happy to let through without screening, so it's now pretty much guaranteed that if the landline rings, it will be someone we want to hear from.

If you have a bbox you can divert all calls to answerphone (with a suitable "due to invasive cold calling I no longer answer my phone, leave a message or call my mobile" type message). The phone will not ring, unless it is a number you have entered as being friendly, or unless someone tries 3 times in a minute to contact you.

Cold callers will never leave a message, and also, since I stared doing this I can see from my call list that all cold calls seem to have stopped.

I just set our phone to go to answer machine after 10 seconds, and told friends and family to leave a message or hang on until we pick up. Seemed easier than using blocking services or programming a filtering system.

Nuisance calls have definitely decreased, only a couple per day at most.

Downsides are:

The phone still rings for 10 seconds, but not usually during waking hours. I could set it to go immediately to answer machine, but I can often get to one of the extensions within that time, to connect to a genuine caller if their name shows up.

Organisations like the hospital use automatic machines to send reminders and changes to appointments, which start spewing out their message during my outgoing message, so only part of it is recorded. They use no-reply or hidden numbers, but I can usually guess who has called from the context.

[quote user="You can call me Betty or Queenie if you prefer"]Nick P says "call barring doesn't always work in the UK if the calls are from a foreign country"

We had to replace our phone a while back and bought one of the BT ones that screen ALL your calls. Anyone who rings is advised that we are using BT call screening and that they need to say their name before we get to hear who it is and decide if we want to accept the call. Since we got the phone, we haven't had a single nuisance call. And it doesn't disturb us, because the phone won't ring at all our end until the caller has identified themselves. We can list those numbers of friends and family that we are happy to let through without screening, so it's now pretty much guaranteed that if the landline rings, it will be someone we want to hear from.[/quote]

+1

Surprisingly, nomoss, I was responding to NickP's comment which referenced the UK. Teapot then quoted my post. I think, in fact I know, that BT doesn't offer a service in France. Maybe France would benefit if Orange confined itself to sticking to sorting out its home market too?

[quote user="You can call me Betty or Queenie if you prefer"]Surprisingly, nomoss, I was responding to NickP's comment which referenced the UK. Teapot then quoted my post. I think, in fact I know, that BT doesn't offer a service in France. Maybe France would benefit if Orange confined itself to sticking to sorting out its home market too?[/quote]

Sorry. I didn't bother with the garbled preface to his post.

Your BT plan seems to be a good deal, Betty. It's some time now since I had a UK Landline, and when I did we had the call preference service which as I said earlier wasn't 100%.

As to the childish question from albf complete with profanities as to why I have a landline, if you were as well informed as you think you are; you would know that in France the Orange service gives me free calls to the UK and many other countries in the world, which I use frequently, also it includes my Internet and mobile for a very reasonable amount of money each month.

• 2 weeks later...
Get yourself a CPR CallBlocker. I bought one for my father last month and he swears by it. Soon as he gets a dodgy number he presses the big red button and they are banished for life.

He had a problem with a number calling him with nobody on the end. I guess you were supposed to call them back on the premium number. If you left it, answered it and put the phone down it would just keep phoning you, the call blocker killed that one to. You can get one for as little as 49 Euros.

http://services.completefrance.com/forums/completefrance-forums/cs/forums/3663539/ShowPost.aspx

I am recommending this product and have no connection with the company or the product.