Price of electricity

Electricity in France is b loody expensive, as we all know. Ok, they do have the burden of nuclear, but, the Cour des Comptes has just brought out a report whoch say it fairly and squarely.THEY ARE OVERPAID, thanks to an agreement that dates from 1946, and they have excellent perks.

Will it change, not a bit of it, just another report to dump in a drawer.

One of the revendications of the GJ was that immediate action on the reports of the Cour des Comptes should be a legal requirement. That would be a good start.

http://www.lefigaro.fr/conjoncture/2019/02/06/20002-20190206ARTFIG00063-pour-la-cour-des-comptes-les-agents-d-edf-sont-vraiment-trop-bien-payes.php

Is it really that expensive? We pay .0856€ per KWH (HT).

Bulgaria is cheaper, Belgium is twice the price.France appears to be cheaper than the UK What is expensive is the abondement and all the taxes they add on. If I divide my last bill by the KWH used, it comes out at 18 centimes a KWH. It makes me laugh at the adverts that say they reduce your electricity bill by X% - only the power part, the rest remains the same. Sometimes taxes/charges are over half the total bill!

Whichever way the bill is structured, it is expensive.

Belgium, incidentally has a number of very creaky, unreliable atomic power stations which are frequently en panne, resulting in shortages in and the necessity of buying the stuff abroad and a deal of fear about safety.

I once knew an engineer who worked at one. He claimed that they had dozens of small leaks of coolant every month that were never even reported. Only the really big ones hit the Press. The place was a nightmare he said.

He retired as soon as possible, afte having a couple of years off with a stress related illness.

Thanks Lehaut, that is how I work it out too, how much I actually pay divided by the units used.

In the UK I pay 12.52136p per unit for electricity. And 3.29012p for a unit of gas.

Daresay I could pay more, but I would rather be paying less[:D]

Seems to me the price is very similar in France and the UK.

A quick comparison shows that our 5000 units a year in France costs around 800 Euros. (£700). the same amount in the UK would be around £750.

Those figures include the standing charges and taxes.

[quote user="idun"]
Thanks Lehaut, that is how I work it out too, how much I actually pay divided by the units used.

In the UK I pay 12.52136p per unit for electricity. And 3.29012p for a unit of gas.

Daresay I could pay more, but I would rather be paying less[:D]
[/quote]

Calculating on the same basis, we pay €0.1382 per unit, which is about 12 pence at today's exchange rate.

[quote user="Théière"]€0.1382 ends up closer to €0.18 after taxes?

In the UK some companies charge a standing charge never tried to calculate the comparison.[/quote]

No.

As I said, I used the same calculation as Lehaut - total bill, including standing charges, taxes, etc. etc. divided by units consumed.

[quote user="Lehaut"]Is it really that expensive? We pay .0856€ per KWH (HT) What is expensive is the abondement and all the taxes they add on. If I divide my last bill by the KWH used, it comes out at 18 centimes a KWH.[/quote]

Hope you understand why I asked nomoss.  I think we may have had a similar discussion a couple of years back which i never got to the bottom of.  Still have the calcs written down in one of my data log books.