Shame?

idun

Tonight we watched every bit of the Journal de 20H from France2.

Not a mention of the rugby, not at all.

A few weeks ago, when England beat France we had expected that to be at the end of the news, just a mention, but that actually made headlines, much to our surprise.

So why tonight, did this game not get one mention at all.

Surely the french are not ashamed of their team? all teams lose, and it is a game and to have winners there has to be losers sometimes and it happens to most teams, a losing streak.

In the grand scheme of things, this is so unimportant, so why was it not at least given a mention........ it was as much news as any other sporting thing.

There is a sense of shame that French rugby has sunk so low recently and that it has to change fundamentally so it is not so surprising that there is no mention of the game.

The problems stem from the structure of the club game.

Plenty of reports in Fogaro and le Monde. The former gave the team 3/10!

Perhaps it is like UK TV News - if it is not football then forget it. They will report on several football matched but no mention of, say, the England cricket team match.

Seems football, tennis and F1 are the only sports deemed worthwhile reporting.

We watch the TF1 13h news. When football etc starts Caroline Henry is on every day, whilst France is still in the tournament. The minute they are out, the reporting on the sport stops. The French, imho, hate losing face more than the Chinese!

Aren't folk reading too much into this?

Successes and victories for a national team is not just sports news, it's news that many people will be glad to know even if they don't follow sport. Whether it's a win in rugby, football, badminton, wellie-chucking, eating the greatest number of whelks before you're sick, whatever.

Match results are sports news and followers of the sport will be interested to know, but the public at large won't. As soon as they no longer feel they have a stake, they lose interest. So the news reflects that. I don't know that that proves the French hate losing, mightn't it just prove they're not all sports fans?

I was a just the same about Wales when I lived there. If they were doing well in a tournament I would watch. When they got knocked out I stopped watching. Not because I hated the fact that Wales had lost, but because the buzz, the sense of anticipation, the suspense of waiting for the next match, had all gone.

Reading too much into it?

Not on your nelly are we.

This is a good way of seeing how the french see life in general and to understand LBF.

And here's a thing....... if something bad happens to someone from the UK no matter where from, all too often the news people say, les anglais. And if it is good, britanniques.

AND yesterday, apparently some of those poor people who were in that Ethiopian Airline crash were anglais and there were also  britanniques too, all in the same sentence.

The french love their rugby, there was no need to not mention it, or do an autopsy on it, just give the results if nothing else.

And sport, is it news??? Well, as there seems to be far too much time spent on it on news broadcasts, I am obviously in a minority in believing that it is not. But as it usually is classed as news, it should have been mentioned!

One has only to listen to the very biassed commentators on the French TV coverage of sporting events to get the point.
Perhaps most British people watch on UK TV, but I have only French and so (for the little I watch of sport) am condemned to hearing the likes of Laurent Jalabert (who never won the Tour de France and was later suspected of doping) running down the English riders such as Froome, and concentrating on the nationality of the cyclists rather than their performance..

The SW french rugby fans aren't happy:
https://www.ladepeche.fr/2019/03/11/vi-nations-un-xv-de-france-qui-na-pas-convaincu-les-lecteurs-de-la-depeche,8061540.php
RU is very popular in SW France, more than any other region. Not sure why.
Some time ago I was talking to a man in our local DIY place about rugby and he said our players are either brilliant, or rubbish. Or the equivalent in french.

Swings and roundabout every year .. sometime up, sometimes down.  THis year the French have come close to beating the Italians at their own game.  What I like is that the championship is still open and will be decided during the last days matches ... these days, I don't watch the matches (too much else to get done and it is a time when I won't be interrupted but OH,  but I used to, and still like to know the scores ... but agere with you Idun, too much football on the news and never enough of the sports that need some skill to play, like rugby and snooker, to name two that interest this not-at-all-sports interested person.

Perhaps the rep from heavy Health and Safety would care to tell us which sports he would allow? Dont mention the Gay Knitting Championships as there are too many sharp needles involved. What about table tennis without balls or hockey without pucks or cricket without balls? No motor rac8ng, n9 runn8ng except in rubber suits .... the list of possibilities is endless.

Horse racing without jockeys.....

Go on Dickdick, do tell.