Drought

Well, last winter was apparently very dry, yet again, round here and the aquifers are getting low, yet again. The streams and rivers are very low and my water butts are empty, yet again, to the extent that I have ordered two extra ones though with no rain how the heck are they gonna get filled?

Is anyone else suffering from this, is France drying out, do we have to change the way we garden and or grow vegetables?

Or will we all become desiccated and blow away in a winter storm?

Or will Brexit save us all?

Down in the SW they've had a lot of rain and the farmers are happy. Especially the cerialiers.

Last year they were worried after a few years of low rainfall.
Tony - links don't work on here. But you can get them if you copy and paste in your browser.

There have been restrictions in the Gard (30) for a few weeks already after another fairly dry winter. It doesn’t bode well for agriculture, particularly for the many vineyards in the area.

Edit: Norman, some of us do click through, thanks for your live links, much appreciated.

Well if you have pipes from your roof gutters that go into the buffs, then you will get some rain in them.

Hope that you have good steady rain and some sun, as we have been having for the next few days. The plants love it![:D]

Well, there has been more rain in the last half hour than in the whole winter. Guess I shouldn’t have bought a new hosepipe!

No wonder there was a heavy weather warning.

Plus wobbly doggy is trying to climb onto my head, as usual in thunderstorms.

WB - you are lucky - we have three dogs ruling the house at the moment - of which 2 are attention seeking dogs of our daughter who is on holiday with those who normally look after them. Had to go searching by car for one of them yesterday along the surrounding lanes.

No problem with water.

Yesterday texted older son who lives/works in Helsinki about how sunnier and warmer the weather forecast was there compared to here in the UK or indeed in Dordogneshire.

Today he accused me of jinks-ing them as it was thundering there today.

Thunderstorms go with hot weather - better than hot-ish weather gradually turning to rain then consistent rain that we are currently experiencing in our part of the UK. I rather like a good thunderstorm.

Well, the water level in the water butts is slowly crawling upwards but a long way to go. Two new ones due today but it is too wet to go out and install them!

Plantings now taking off with the rain, so are the slugs.

All beds are pretty full, even allowing for some early planting losses.