Question about Trailer Tents

Jenna

Can anyone advise what implications there might be if I buy a trailer tent in the UK, bring it to France and leave it?

Would it be possible to retain the same number plate of our UK registered car?

Would we need to get a carte gris and would it matter if the trailer tent is towed by a UK registered car?

Many thanks

Jenna (used to be Thibault).

As far as I am aware a trailer being towed by a French registered vehicle where the trailer weight is up to 750kg the trailer carried the vehicle registration. Over 750kg the trailer requires separate registration.

In the case of UK registered vehicle the trailer carries the registration of the towing vehicle - from the car towing the small trailer to the tip to an articulated lorry.

Naturally, there are requirements for registering a UK registered Vehicle where it is kept in France into the French system.

If it is going to be towed by a UK registered car while it’s owners are visiting their holiday home there is no need to register it in France. As most trailer tents will weigh less than 500kg there is no need to register it in France even if it’s going to be towed by a French registered car, it will just need a number plate with the tow car’s registration and will normally be covered by the cat’s insurance.

Somewhere in the distant past I think we had a poster on the forum who had a trailer tent which they used to visit camp sites in France. If my memory serves they had a problem with the coupling of the vehicle to the trailer when returning to England because of the movement of the boat as they were disembarking at Dover. I wonder if any other long-standing poster remembers this and if they do if they remember any details which might help the original poster ?

[quote user="PaulT"]Although not affecting this case but this is something I have just come across whilst searching for something else - trailer registration in the UK

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/register-your-trailer-if-you-want-to-take-it-abroad[/quote]

That’s interesting. It might certainly help anyone who is bringing a UK trailer to France permanently if they need to register it here. I don’t know how it works with ANTS but over the years people trying to register caravans and horseboxes have often hit a brick wall when the person at the prefecture could not accept that British trailers o& that weight do not have either registration certificates or thei4 own registration number.

"As far as I am aware a trailer being towed by a French registered

vehicle where the trailer weight is up to 750kg the trailer carried the

vehicle registration. Over 750kg the trailer requires separate

registration."

As has been pointed out, a trailer being towed by a French registered vehicle does not require separate registration up to 500kg gross laden weight and carries the registration number of the towing vehicle.  Over 500kg it requires separate registration and its own number.

A trailer up to 750kg gross does not require to be braked.   Over 750kg gross the trailer is required to have its own braking system.

Thanks for all the replies. To answer a question further up the thread, our intention is to leave the trailer tent at our French holiday home. It seems that it is OK to continue to use the UK registration. We will have a green card for it, as we already have acquired one for our trailer (the non-tent variety) which also stays in France.