Being poorly

idun

"I was ink monitor from about age 6"

The Catholic school I went run by nuns at the top of our street had the same system. After the inkwells had been filled, the kid in front of me used to turn round and, using the straw for the milk, used to drink half my milk, then terrify the rest of the class by exposing his stained blue mouth and teeth.

School dinner had us on tables of 6. Did not think much of it at the time, but there was one boy on our table who always smelt of urine. He used to gather everything left on people's plates, put them in a plastic bag and take it home for his dinner.

Yes, you got 'corned beef legs' by sitting too close to the fire. But a consequence of this was always chilblains on the backs of your heels from the draught coming in under the door, which were treated by a noxious smelling dark green(?) ointment called Zambuk, I think, it came in a small round tin.

Do chilblains still exist in this world of central heating and double glazing, or have they been eradicated like smallpox?

Thank you so much Idun for starting this thread. As well as being a great trip down memory lane, it's been lovely to be able to contribute to a thread without having to worry about being shot down in flames, sometimes the endless bickering between the 'in crowd' is a great deterrent to posters just wanting a quiet life.

Really hope you're feeling better now.

"Corned beef legs"

In our house it was ' lazy pennies'.

Lots of memories in this thread - iced up windows, frozen school milk, clothes airing on a line above the fire, fighting for the chairs closest to the fire, braving the outside toilet in the middle of winter.

Such fun.