Dispute over Name of Property - Advice Please

Fontremy

[quote user="Sunday Driver"][quote user="Llwyncelyn"]

What was the first year case that came my way as an undergraduate  was it something to do with the Carbolic smoke ball company or something like that.  I should know I do know but its Sunday and the books are in the attic and that is where they will remain!

[/quote]

Carhill -v- Carbolic Smoke Ball Company.

[/quote]

Crikey I did the same case at Weybridge College, a very long time ago.

I thought I would retype my previous post that got deleted by accident along with another and just to save any embarrassment remove the name of the 'famous person'. As to the property concerned I believe it is one of several owned by the same person (whoever they may be [:D] ).

I am wondering if the original poster knows exactly who this person was as he is far more than a guy who wrote a few books. He was a critic of the French government and a fighter of human rights in old French dependencies and in particular Algeria. Actually I might have a look round and see if any of his books have been translated as he seems to be a very interesting guy who I would never had known about if it were not for this thread. There is quite a lot of stuff on this guy but it is mainly in French, there is a little in English and can be found by searching on his name in google.co.uk.

Please don't get me wrong, I am no expert on this guy. I am just pointing out the information I found in a two minute search on the internet and there is quite a lot. When you search on the name in English only search engines the property comes up currently as the first thing on the first page, it also comes up on the first page of the French google website but a bit further down so it's pretty high profile.

This guy died in 1972 and there is a lot written about him. My guess is that when naming the house is that the original poster did not do enough research or did not understand what he read about this writer.

So I can understand why the family don't want this 'famous French authors' name linked with ANY commercial enterprise which (in my personal opinion) is mainly to do with what he campaigned and wrote about and I don't think it is a problem that will go away. My personal reaction to them would be that I am very sorry if I have offended the family in any way and I will suffer the loss of reprinting publicity and changing the property name (and put my prices up next year to cover the costs).

[Www]

[quote user="Llwyncelyn"]

Sunday Driver I am so so grateful.........and I feel so so foolish.  But I can remember the man on the top of the Clapham Omnibus and the High Trees principle and even the Wednesbury cinema case! But of course reality is different as is life!

thanks again.

[/quote]

I used to live in that famous Hightrees House.  Years ago, while I was still there, the council cut down the only trees that were close to it, so we unofficially renamed it No-trees House.

Patrick

Dear Cassis that case spawned hundreds of cases and reasonable has of course caused the legal profession so much problems over the decades.

Still Lord Afred Denning was wonderful and I mean wonderful.  The House of Lords did not really know what was coming next from the MR.  He did change the law and his interpretation of what 'Parliament meant' was just superb

He is of course buried just off the A34 at Whitchurch

rdgs

[quote user="Quillan"]

I am wondering if the original poster knows exactly who this person was as he is far more than a guy who wrote a few books. He was a critic of the French government and a fighter of human rights in old French dependencies and in particular Algeria. Actually I might have a look round and see if any of his books have been translated as he seems to be a very interesting guy who I would never had known about if it were not for this thread. There is quite a lot of stuff on this guy but it is mainly in French, there is a little in English and can be found by searching on his name in google.co.uk.

[/quote]

Very true, however I am French and live in the same region as this holiday home is to be found in and I have never heard of this writer either. As you say, Quillan, he does sound interesting and his contribution to the movements in which he was invoved was recognised by the French establishment, yet if the French of my generation have never heard of him, (and, I hasten to add, I have a literary university background) then I shouldn't think calling the place after him is really going to attract English speaking punters!

I definitely think Font Remy should back down and apologise.

Cassis I was in the Court of Appeal on a case in November 2005 and that please believe me was scary Three Lord Justices of Appeal all sort of double firsts in all sorts of things of things from Cambridge and Oxford.....................and before either Winchester Marlborough or Stow or all other points............still they were absolutely kind  and gentle with me but...............we did not win.

enough now off to find my old text books and when I did 'reasonable' I passed it over in my finals and went for the question on Tort but that too had reasonable in it.

Still good old days

regards

Sisneme - There are many civil rights people who have written excellen work in the UK and not many peope know who they are and in particualr the 'Joe Bloggs' in the street. Sometimes, even as important as their work is, they are often ignored bcause they choose to write the truth and contradict the establishment.

I have not been able to find anything in English of this chaps work just a few 'papers' he has either written or contributed too. So if anyone knows of some and can give a ISBN number I would appreciate it very much.

As you say, and I agree, the original poster should, in my personal opinion, do the 'right thing' and change the name. He could always ask the relatives if they would like to have a plaque put on the house to say the author lived there as a sign of respect. Bit like the ones we have in the UK, Joe Bloggs lived here 1900 to 1955 sort of thing.

As you say I would guess that the majority of English (myself included till the name came up and I did a search) would never know who he is.

• 4 weeks later...
Sorry, just caught up again with this thread.  Your assumptions are quite incorrect.  The house didn't have a name and it seemed logical to name it after the square in which it sits which happens to be named after the author whose family house it is. We had certainly never heard of him before and you would have to be a French literary historian to have done so.  So there is no commercial benefit whatsoever in the use of the name, particularly as we advertise the property (and have named the website) after a shortened version of the name (which is also a very common English Christian name.

Apologies for not responding generally earlier to the many kind (and not so kind) replies.  It appears most worked out who we were talking about in the end. Very surprised the issue caused so much debate but shows the forum is very much alive and kicking.

As a matter of interest we did defer to the sensibilities of the relatives and have changed the name to something far less controversial.  We considered naming it after the Place rather than directly after the author and also briefly considered calling it after Yvain De Galles (Owain Glyndwr), the Welsh soldier who fought against the English in the 100 years War and now has a monument to his memory in Mortagne.  However, I imagined the wrath that might bring forth from anyone English or French who may be offended or Yvain's long lost relatives so decided against it!

We've written confirming what we've done to the family of the "famous" author so hopefully this will satisfy everyone.

Fontremy, I well remember Owain Glyndwr from history in grammar school.........shows how old I am.

The Welsh nation would have been behind you if you had changed the name and used Owain Glyndwr instead.

I truly believe it is the intelligent thing to have done and perhaps you will be viewed somewhat differently by the French family..................you can live in hope....................for the opposite view could well be that they have taught the English another lesson!

rdgs and best wishes for your venture

Llwyncelyn, thanks for the support.  Slip of the keyboard (or brain cells anyway) - his name is actually Owain Lawgoch - he came a generation before Owain Glyndwr.  You can read the story briefly here if you're interested http://www.castlewales.com/lawgoch.html

You can probably see why I was taken with it.

Ian, actually as far as we could tell the property didn't have a name so I don't know if one needs permission to call it something.  We'll need to enquire of the local Mairie next time we're out there.  Or maybe we'll just leave sleeping dogs lie...