Update of how are you all doing?

We are fine.

We had some much needed rain and have had sunshine too and lovely blue skies. It has been freezing though, literally a couple of nights, there was a frost and the northerlies or easterlies were nithering when we did our Boris Walks.

There is more traffic on the roads now, but we are not going to change our habits for the time being.

I must tidy up though, we seem to have managed to let our living room get far messier than usual, and frankly I am not tidy at the best of times. Thing is that 'I' know no one will be coming round, and it has just been so easy to let things slide a bit.

However it feels like I should make a start, maybe one day, that door bell will ring and friends who are being as cautious as us, will be visiting[:D]

Oh thank goodness you are honest - it's not just me who's a bit untidy then !!

Have had other problems for last few weeks;  turning the house upside down looking for lost keys has definitely not helped the clutter level, along with the 'don't throw anything out - the keys might be in there...' - and it's just led to a hugely glorified mess, muddle and clutter.

Plus I'm a bit of a hoarder anyway.

So yes, knowing we're not likely to have any visitors has led to huge general mess.

I like Quentin Crisp's comments about cleanliness/housework along the lines of 'Don't dust for 4 years - it finds its own level and then stops......'  !!!

But can feel a fairly major tidy up, spring clean on the way.

Although if we are to have glorious sunshine, as forecast, in next couple of weeks - who the heck wants to be swanning around with vac and duster - when there's glorious sunshine outside !!

At least we're all still here, have survived the 'threat' - and looking forward to normality asap.

Clear blue skies are lovely though aren't they - no jet trails.

Chessie

Well Chessie, we started calling it 'crisis' clearing up and cleaning when folk used to come round...... seems so long ago now[Www]

A number of years ago, some friends were over in the Alpes skiing and as they had a hire car said that they would drive down and see us. They had been to see us before they had kids, but this was the first time they had been to see us since, and the kids were getting up.

We did our usual, tidied and cleaned, and then I saw the eldest daughter whispering to her mother.... who was laughing. I asked what she was saying and this girl was saying that she was surprised that our house looked so messy.

I started laughing too, telling her that she should have seen it the day before, and that this for us, was very very tidy. We got an embarrassed smile from the girl. This girl knew me, we had stayed with them regularly when back in England, and just hadn't thought I would like like 'that'.

My kitchen, is always clean and tidy along with bathrooms, the rest well, anyone doesn't like the rest, they are more than welcome to be 'une bonne' chez moi, in fact it might be rather nice![:D]

Thank you for updating your thread, Idun.

We are still fine, not champing at the bit to partake in the free licence to go out wherever we want given by our government. We’re approaching 10 weeks of self-isolating and no problems.

We had a lovely birthday party for my husband this week with our sons and families taking part - via Zoom! Each of the three households had the same Tesco chocolate cake (ours delivered the previous day by our son who lives locally), which we cut at the same time, with my husband failing to blow out the candles on the other cakes! ?

We even showed one another our fruit bushes and strawberry plants - I had collections of them to be delivered to each of us a few weeks ago. We took our ipads into our gardens to show off the growth; our younger son got the booby prize as his blueberry bush has died! ?

Interesting what the highlights of our lives are now! ?

None of our family will be heading out anywhere, not those in Sussex nor family who live round the corner. However, our DIL has been working a few days each week on a rota at the pre-school she manages on the school site for children of key workers; only 1 for a time, but a few more this week as people have returned to work.

We continue to have weekly deliveries from Waitrose - interesting to see what isn’t in stock each Saturday. Paracetamol for the first few weeks - thank goodness my GP gave me a prescription for stronger painkillers.

Then it was frozen peas for a couple of weeks. Now it seems to be our favourite Languedoc wines that they don’t have in stock - we’re trying to support local Languedoc industries!

We’re very grateful for volunteers delivering medicines from the pharmacy, so many acts of kindness more than offset the behaviour of the minority, wherever we live.

I hope that everyone is managing to cope OK and none are under the weather.

Maybe we ought to have a hair competition - possibly the worst haircut while in isolation, or the longest hair. Actually, my husband’s hair is looking quite distinguished, curling round his skin graft. Mine is very long and irritating 15 weeks since it was cut - I was unwell on the day of my appointment just before self-isolating. ?

Glad to hear each of your stories.  We are fine here.

Paris is glorious now !!!  We did not go out until yesterday and had no idea what to expect since deconfinement.  Our first stop was to buy the masks.  That done, we headed to walk along he river, half expecting it to be a mob scene since we had seen that on the evening news the night before (but it wasn't the area where we walk/live).  Nope, nearly no one was there.  I think we came across 10 people in the 6kms we walked.

Our area along the river in the 15eme is not nearly as crowded as other areas.  We were happy about that.  We normally walk in the direction of the Tour Eiffel (about 5 minutes from the apartment) and then past it, but we figured that direction would likely be more crowded as it is somewhat more scenic.  So, we headed the opposite direction - which we like to walk also.  I have NEVER seen it so empty.  So, we did it again today.  Even fewer people today !!  We presume because of the chilly wind.  Not sure.

We did stop for some groceries and everyone does try to distance so far.  Still no levure boulangere..

I'm sure we will feel differently when the 1.2 million who left the city return.  Plus, when all the restaurants and shops reopen, it will likely change the situation.  But, we like it now.

"But, we like it now."

Except, Lori, you can't like it now because you are moving tomorrow, remember?[:P]

I think you are incredibly brave moving now.  Even amongst all the nightmares I have had recently, moving house hasn't featured in any of them[:D]

Chez nous, OH seems perfectly content but I am restless and agitated.  Haven't been able to walk for 3 days because of incessant rain and have had an infection to boot.  However, it looks fine now and I am going out and will be able to carry a backpack with water and an imperméable (hope I've got that right because we normally say imper and I am not sure whether people in other parts of France say that too).

Footnote:  if we don't say imper, we say k-way.

Dear Wooly, as I thought I had pointed out, I do crisis clearing and cleaning when folk are coming...... and depending on the time there are also fresh scones or cakes or pies or a good meal waiting.

So there....... just don't come unnannounced, as the good stuff would not be ready[:P]

Oh Mint, we don't actually move until 15 June, so we have another month to go.  There are many times of the year previously that I have preferred Paris, but now, it is like I have never seen it before.  Streets can be empty completely and the river walks have never been so quiet, even on winter snow days.

Also, the house we are moving to has the Parc de Sceaux and the coulee vert within less than 5 minutes walk, so we will be set.  Husband is already planning to order a bicycle.

I'm glad it sounds like you are all coping as well as can be expected.  Very odd times.

Lori, I am just getting so stupid!  I had it in my mind that you were moving on 15 May....duh...

You do sound excited to be moving to Sceaux.  I don't know the town but it amuses me that it makes me think of those bucket things that you fill with ice and put your champagne in to cool!

Perhaps you and M Lori will be doing just that in your new home?  If so, you will be putting your champagne in the seau to toast your new home in Sceaux.

Understand Mint.  I hope we are able to cope up to 15 June.  We are excited to move.  Yes, we understand the translation, Sault (close to where we used to live), Sceaux, outside Paris, etc.  Must be so many other similarities.

We will toast our new house when we get there, hopefully we do.