masks

Just had ours delivered FOC from the mairie.  In 2 colour ways so we know which belongs to whom.  Plus instructions for care and washing and drying.

I think I will always iron them so that I could burn the little b's to death!

My OH went to the pre-advised open area near the Mairie, complete with completed formulaire swearing upon honour that he lived here as a bona-fide permanent resident, to find a hugely long snaking queue of people waiting to be gifted their mask .. one per resident ..

He decided that he would try tomorrow as the queue was v long and the déchetterie (newly opened) was only open for a couple of hours.

Me, I was at home making myself a fabric mask from an old blouse, as I am tiny and most 'average or one-size-fits all sizes' drown me.

The instructions on YouTube were clear .. but somewhat awkward to follow if you were trying to watch and cut/pin/iron at the same time.

I could have done with freeze frame.

NB .. Our pharmacy today was selling re-usable masks .. but they were so insubstantial I reckon after 1 X 60°C wash they would be useless. And they were 5€ ..

OH bought a couple just in case the queue at the Mairie is just as long tomorrow.

We had a note from the Mairie on Sunday to say that we will be given one free mask for each person "when they have some available" (can't remember ther exact French...)

In fact I have made several fabric masks trying out patterns. OH says the trouble is most of the patterns seem to assume that actually breathing is optional.

I volunteered and am in the process of making 40 fabric masks for the Department to give to those workers who have a lot of face to face contact with the public.  You get given kits which make 20, including fabric, elastic, filter stuff (looks very like interfacing but more mesh-y - ladies who sew will understand...) and also a little soft metal 5cm  "baguettes" to bend over the nose. Simple to make and I will use the pattern to make others for us if only I can find, or think of something to replace, the little baguettes.

In the meantime we are mostly going to use proper medical ones being sold in packs of five at the till (you must ask for them) in Carrefour shops. They are being sold at cost so 2.50 for five.  They have the baguette nose pieces which make a huge difference to comfort.

Stay well, take care

Mint, agree, though ours only this morning .. just as you say, easy to see which is for whom.  Though I might just have to adapt how mine fastens ...  and there I was slating the Maire for his lack of action!  No warning, just a ring at the doorbell, which made me curse when no-one was there.  Then I methinks .. as I am waiting for a parcel anyhow and maybe that was to tell me it had arrived ... et voila!  The masks. I knew that the PTA equivalent ladies had been making them, and that the Maire had organised material for them, so it's nice for once to have to eat my words.  Mea culpa indeed.

[quote user="Gardian"]I’m replying to this, but for the life of me, I don’t know why.

I really can’t find anything interesting to say about a bloody face mask.

.[/quote]

Bear in mine if you make a mask out of an old bra, only use the left cup. You would not want to go out looking like a right t*t!

I am as pleased as your BBF (I believe that that is the correct current expression) Woolybanana that all is fine with the check-up.

These things don't half put you on edge until they tell you all is well.

Coincidentally, I had to go to the MT's today.  It was urgent and I didn't want the téléconsultation slot that was available because it would have been late in the day and I would have missed the pharmacie.

I wore my mask for the first time.  Only 2 or 3 people in the vast waiting room and everybody was wearing a mask.  When I went into the doctor's, he apologised for having his mask attached by its loop to a button on his shirt.  He said he couldn't wear it all the time because his glasses kept steaming up.

OH had the same problem in a shop but I was OK with mine.  But no makeup and no lipstick as I didn't want the mask all stained.  So although, I was masked, I actually felt naked!

In that village, there is a HUGE EHPAD and I felt my spirits lifting when the doctor said that they had had no cases of covid anywhere near there at all.  I can't bear to think of elderly, infirm people catching this.   

[quote user="Lehaut"]

Bear in mine if you make a mask out of an old bra, only use the left cup. You would not want to go out looking like a right t*t![/quote]

Lehaut, I found that very funny so I had a guilty laugh because it was so naughty of you.

It is very vain but I had a hair appointment yesterday  - salon very well sorted out by the owner so I felt quite safe. But: wearing the mask for two hours was no fun at all - hot and sweaty.

It was worth it in the end though - I feel human again.

How nurses, doctors and indeed shop owners now cope with wearing masks all day I do  not know.

Mrs H

I have a hair appt next week, so I'll bear in mind your experience.  I have been told to wear a mask and to dress in light clothes.

I agree about the poor people having to wear them all day long and bear in mind also that for medical personnel in hospitals, their masks are heavy duty.  Right at the beginning of the pandemic, I saw the face of an Italian nurse in a newspaper and her face was literally bruised from hours of wearing her mask.

I don't think that having elastic around the ears is a problem NH, they will just lift the hair with the comb and cut and then cut in with the scissors if necessary. And I am sure that they don't cut ears or the elastics.

I remember when I first started cutting my husband's hair, every single time he would say that he had done an ear count before I started.......... cheeky so and so he was, if he says that now, he will get a clip around the ear, but not with the scissors![Www]

We bought a box of 50 jetable masks yesterday at Carrefour City.  39 euros for the box...  I honestly think my bandanna is more effective.  It is folded to have 6 layers; with rubber bands around the ears.