Cummings’ statement - a commentary by a legally trained commentator

An interesting breakdown of Cummings’ statement at the weekend by a trained commentator on legal matters for the Financial times. It lasts 25 minutes - I started it and had to leave it until I could give it my attention for that amount of time; there’s nothing earth-shattering, but I found it fascinating. There’s no pay wall:

https://www.ft.com/video/e82b5a00-3ad5-4d2c-9703-ff14942aa5b1

Sorry, you’ll need to cut and paste it.

GG I found that fascinating - at first I thought 25 minutes but that whizzed by as he used his legal insight to explain what was being said and why and what was not being said.

I wonder if Cummings paid for the lawyer or the British taxpayer. If the latter then rubbing a little salt in to the wound.

Heard a govt announcement on the radio yesterday where it stated 'if you are ill stay at home'. Thinking of making a complaint to the ASA as it did not state that T&Cs apply for some.

Interesting that in the statement that his wife was vomiting and feeling as though she would pass out....if that was the truth how would he cope on the M1 especially as the trip was for the sake of the 4 year old child.

Whatever he has or hasn't said is all now purely academic.  Police have cleared him of having made any breaches.

Meanwhile a brewery has produced a beer called Barnard Castle Eye Test with profits going to the NHS.

[quote user="mint"]
Whatever he has or hasn't said is all now purely academic.  Police have cleared him of having made any breaches.[/quote]

To be strictly accurate they have said he committed a "minor breach".  So no further action.[Www]

Sorry, Weegie, you are right, of course.  I was taking a short cut to say "that's the end of the matter" as far as the police are concerned.  I mean, no further action and all that?

I hope nobody drives around testing their eyesight.....lol

Mint, Michal Gove spoke very earnestly about doing that very thing himself on the Today programme earlier this week.

I wonder how many others there are in the country who would even think of behaving so stupidly. On their wives’ birthdays or any other time.

What an extremely lame lie from The Liar.

I think Starmer has handled this cleverly. Instead of focusing on the Cummings incident, which will go away even if it doesn't go away quite as fast as Johnson would have liked, he's turned it into an illustration of how weak Johnson is. Which is an issue that won't go away. It's true that Johnson on his own is weak, and this will show through from time to time. All Starmer has to do is keep picking up on them. I wonder how many Tories who had never thought of Johnson as weak are starting to think, "Actually now you mention it... "

Drip. Drip. Drip.

Eurotrash wrote :

I think Starmer has handled this cleverly. Instead of focusing on the Cummings incident, which will go away even if it doesn't go away quite as fast as Johnson would have liked ..

All Starmer has to do is keep picking up on them.

I wonder how many Tories who had never thought of Johnson as weak are starting to think, "Actually now you mention it... "

Drip. Drip. Drip.

Regretfully there is no like button on this forum ?

[quote user="Gardengirl "]Mint, Michal Gove spoke very earnestly about doing that very thing himself on the Today programme earlier this week.

I wonder how many others there are in the country who would even think of behaving so stupidly. On their wives’ birthdays or any other time.

What an extremely lame lie from The Liar.[/quote]

GG, I read a comment today that made me smile.  The commentator said I wonder whether DVLA will introduce a 30-mile drive to test your eyesight[:)]