Where to store important docs

Picking up on points mentioned in various other threads, I've decided that it might be wise for me to take several photocopies of our important docs - legal and otherwise.

As well as duplicates of all the keys I can think of !!   (Wasn't aware until last week that there are keys for the tow bar attachment.........sigh)

But - where to store important docs.  

Would any solicitor be able to store such docs safely ?

Or a bank ?

Any ideas anyone ?

Chessie

I keep scanned copies on various computers back up disks and online.

They may not be the originals, but they can help to replace them if needed.

For example when my wallet was stolen it had credit cards in it and the police asked for the 14 digit number on the front as well as the account number, and I was able to find them
Similarly I was able to print out a copy of my first CdS from 1995 when I was applying for Nationality.

Some banks in France do offer "coffre fort à sa banque", safe deposit boxes at all sorts of sizes and prices (120€ a year average).

We keep copies of everything (ID cards, Permis Carte a Grise etc) on Dropbox. No matter where you travel, if you have access to the internet you can see stuff on your phone.

We also keep photos of any improvement work done to house/flat in case of insurance claims etc on line.

We bought a small safe (I am not near it now but I would say it is 2 foot high and a bit less wide) - from a big Carrefour supermarket. It will hold a lot of documents: we have passports and house docs plus birth etc certificates, keys.   Most importantly the door only opens with a 6 digit code and then either A or B.   You set this yourself.

It was a bit of a struggle, it is heavy, to get it upstairs to the room above garage used as an office.  It would take a very strong burglar to nick it!!  In any case once installed it can be screwed to the floor, from the inside.

If you have somewhere it could go on the ground floor you only need a trolley thing to move it.

I think most big DIY chains have them.
Well worth it if you can get one and get it indoors.

This should be a live link, there are very small safes that are quite cheap, but the ones on this page would seem to hold quite a bit.

Where would you put it, you wouldn't want to find him taking a sledge hammer to it because he had simply decided to.

A banque sounds like a good idea, or as has been said, set stuff up on a cloud.

Top ALBF tip....as well as your family silver, store all your invoices for purchased items.

One of the joys of buying stuff on line with an account, all your purchases are registered. Quick click on Amazon/ Boulanger etc download the lot in one go -whether you still have them, they work etc!

We keep important documents in a fireproof and waterproof box similar to this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cathedral-DSBA4-Fire-Waterproof-Deed/dp/B002ZG8KHW/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=fireproof+document+safe&qid=1592035155&sr=8-5

Being waterproof it can be stored outside the house in an outbuilding.

Having too much sensitive information stored on a server somewhere does not really appeal - what happens when there is a hack.

Thank you everyone for helpful advice - as always, I just love this forum for help - you're a wonderful bunch.

Thanks for info about bank safety charges; seems as though for 1 year's cost (approx) then I could have a decent size safe box - with keys !!!   (Aarrgh - part of the problem).

OH doesn't use computer - so were anything to happen to me he'd be utterly lost; don't have mobile phones either - Luddites here I'm afraid - or we're not very important !

The friends to help idea is good; but then I think I'd worry about lumbering them with a bit of a responsibility....

Thanks for the links to safe - think that might well be the best (lock all duplicate keys inside);  then make sure I have several copies of safe key - and hand a spare key to friend - maybe that's the answer.

You've all given me lots to think about - thank you all very much.   Interesting how some of you have dealt with similar problems;  the idea of a heavy safe up in an attic is fine, but did smile at the description of struggle to get it up there.

You're a lovely group - thanks for help.

Chessie

Hereford, the keypad is fine if purely mechanical. However, if it is electronic then it is fine UNTIL the batteries go flat. Then you have to remove a plate on the front behind which is a lock and use a key, that hopefully you know the whereabouts of, to get the safe open......another thing that I have got a T Shirt for.

Edited: Just looked at our safe. It says it is electronic but I can see that there are batteries, however there is a "low-battery" warning light. The batteries are on the back of the door. Just 4 AA batteries.  There is nowhere to put a key, so we assume that if the light says "low" then you open the door in the usual way and change the batteries.
We have had the safe a good few years and never changed said batteries.

It is a "Carrefour Safe" but they do not seem to have them now as I looked online. It measures outside 35 cm wide and 50 cm high.

Things on usb sticks, or indeed any external memory, etc are brilliant for documents but no use at all for keys...

Not that I can see, No. I think for safety I might replace batteries regularly!

Edit: Just found the plate on the door having looked harder. Can be levered off and does indeed have a key hole behind it.  What is the point? We were not provided with a key when the safe was bought.
If all small safes are like this then that rather defeats their objective.
Apologies Paul, you have taught us a very useful lesson.
It would do however for the OP as she could hide (oh dear) the key to the safe - perhaps in the garden in a tupperware box as we have done with a house key - position unmarked but easy for us to remember!

• 2 months later...
I would definitely be thinking of online - as someone has already said, having scans of the originals (or even photos, if you can't afford a scanner) allows you to contact the relevant organisation (assuming it still exists) for a paper copy.

Google gives you 15Go free, but there are plenty of alternatives.