Red Zones in France

Gardian

The French PM announced this morning that a further 19 departements would be added to the 2 already in ‘zone red’. (level of CV19 infections)

The Gard, Vaucluse and the Herault are amongst those 19.

Not good - we can expect partial or even full lockdown in the coming days.

Living in a Red Zone, I don't see lockdown happening anytime soon.  The case numbers are skyrocketing, but the hospitalisations are not (yet).  Give it another 2 weeks and we'll see.

However, I have to say that if no one is going to enforce the mask zones, the powers that be are not taking this seriously at all.  A lot of loud talking with no action.

Where I live, some days I can see about 50% of people with no mask at all (all ages) - and they are in mask required zones.  Some days it is around 30% of the people I pass.  I've not seen a single sign reminding people they are in a mask required zone and I've not seen one single person verbalising or writing fines to anyone.  So, there you have it.  Kinda like setting a speed limit with  no enforcement.  We all know how that goes.

Agree with Lori ! It's permanent Bla-bla-bla and a lot of talking about the regulations, the police, etc... But, at the end of the day, no punishment at all ! If everybody knows that they can break the rules without being in trouble, why would they stick to the regulations ? Our Minister of interior (Darmanin) shows himself everywhere all the time but it leads to nothing as it is a problem of Justice only !

Wait until kids go back to school.

What screwed France was cross border tourism.

Take your pick, kids going back to school or saving your tourism industry.

If the French stayed in France, the Germans in Germany, the British in UK this summer etc ....France would not be in this situation.

Wait until October ! The shît is going to hit the fan.

A bit of a confusing picture.

After scratching around on the internet to try to get some reliable information, I’ve found that we in the Gard are deemed as ‘’moderee’, but our neighbours in the Vaucluse and the Herault have been labelled as ‘

I’d just like to see something that tells me the levels of infection (cases / 100k) by departement - any suggestion gratefully received.

In the meantime, the Prefet of the Herault has taken some decisive action ........., he’s banned dancing !

It is only certain areas in the depts named as red zomes which are in tourble, mainly the tourists spots down here and the big cities. People do wear masks in this rural area, I'm not aware that we have any in this area, but we are classed as Herault, being 50 m over the border from the Aude, which is not so classed .. so even the zones by department do not tell the full story. Better that each local prefect makes up the rules .. and decides as they know where the major problems lie.

Are you thinking of the daily world country and France departmental statistics published in Le Monde https://tinyurl.com/ybrngb35 ?

That short link takes you to the top of the page. You need to click on France or scroll down to get to the French department maps and departmental data. Holding a cursor over a department on the map gives summary statistics and there are further details in the table below the map.

For whatever reason (and there are many candidates, especially that other coronaviruses are typically seasonal, peaking in late autumn-winter-spring and largely disappearing in summer), there is a huge difference between now and earlier in the year. Back in March, the number of cases hit 1000, and, about 4 weeks later, the number of daily deaths was 1000+ and growing fast. The figure of 1000 cases/day was again exceeded in mid-late July and now (5-6 weeks later) the mortality figure is ... about 20 and flatlining!

https://www.lemonde.fr/les-decodeurs/article/2020/05/05/coronavirus-age-mortalite-departements-pays-suivez-l-evolution-de-l-epidemie-en-cartes-et-graphiques_6038751_4355770.html

My original sentence was a question and ended with a ?

If you select the link and don't select the space and ? at the end it works!

https://tinyurl.com/ybrngb35

the full link is

https://www.lemonde.fr/les-decodeurs/article/2020/05/05/coronavirus-age-mortalite-departements-pays-suivez-l-evolution-de-l-epidemie-en-cartes-et-graphiques_6038751_4355770.html