CDS....I did say wait. Yes you did ALBF.

I agree with BinB's post above. I find it hard to get my head round this, because there are so many strands that are separate but at some point they all come together. There is UK law, there is French law and there is the EU agreement.

For instance yes it is true that the WA is not talking about fiscal residence, it is talking about residency in the broader sense. BUT, under French law all

residents are automatically regarded as fiscal residents.

Another for instance, yes it is true that in some situations you can spend most of the year in France but if you spend over 36 days in the UK, under the UK's statutory residence test HMRC will regard you as fiscally resident in the UK. BUT it does not follow that you are not fiscally resident in France, just because the UK considers you resident there. If you meet France's criteria for fiscal residency then you are fiscally resident in France as well, UK law does not override French law.

A third for instance, I have seen Brits saying that they have regularly been spending 6 consecutive months a year visiting their holiday home, therefore even though they are UK citizens living in the UK they are covered by the WA. BUT they never did have the right to spend 6 consecutive months in France in the first place. As EU citizens the longest they were entitled to spend in France was 3 months. There seems something a bit wrong to me about claiming a future privilege on the basis of having broken the rules in the past.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="NickP"]In reply to nomoss. Got what oh wise one? If I got it I wouldn't be confused or asking for advice.[/quote]

The last time several people on here offered you some advice at least two of us received a rude and sarcastic response from you. You haven't improved; you are still rude.

If only people had listened to my advice a few years back and applied for a CdS then, which will now be easily exchangeable for the new version...

Or if only France had continued to insist on them as it did when I first came here. I had one in 1995 and just kept it up to  date  until I took French Nationality.

In either case there wouldn't be all this debate and uncertainty now..

Agreed, if you'vedone all the right things to establish yourself here, it does seem the new CdS appicatoin system has taken out many of the previous hoops.  It does means that my successful efforts to get one that last hot summer (was it really only last year .. I cannot now remember, it seems so long ago now!), will be rewarded with a simple exchange.  Phew!

Well it looks all straight forward. Well done France.

Just to annoy Norman I can use my old CDS as evidence against me. Even though it expired in 2006.

That is the old type that measures...7cm's x 10 cm's.

The one that does not fit in a wallet. LOL.

Holiday home owners do not qualify BTW for a CDS.

Nor does Chancer. LOL

EuroTr@sh wrote the following post at 17 Oct 2020 18:38:

The latest messages from the French government should have been reassuring for those who are firmly established here.

And the latest gouv.fr output is reassuring for me and my ex-UK friends who have lived here for many years in the required stable and regular manner.

NickP wrote: "

Nomoss wrote: The last time several people on here offered you some advice at least two of us received a rude and sarcastic response from you. You haven't improved; you are still rude.

Pots and kettles cocker. dear oh dear ???"

I will just say that over the years I have been subscribed to the same threads as Nomoss countless times, I have never crossed swords with him (as far as I can remember) and I've never known him to be rude. Forthright, yes. But not aggressive nor rude.

(I'm assuming Nomoss is a he, I don't know why. Apologies if she is a she/he is a she/she is a he/whatever.)