Maurice's legacy

mint

[url]https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/21/france-passes-sensory-heritage-law-after-plight-of-maurice-the-noisy-rooster[/url]

Sometimes the French really do have their own ways of looking at things and I, for one, applaud them for it.

Bring back the aurochs?

Already done, see them quite often when we walk by the side of the Sevre, here at Nantes.

https://www.ouest-france.fr/pays-de-la-loire/nantes-44000/video-reze-des-aurochs-reconstitues-sur-la-prairie-de-sevre-7dee8614-50c6-11ea-bb97-e62798df3990

Never seen them at the butchers though :)

A few weeks back, I was doing the ironing and turned on the TV for distraction.  I forget the name of the show, but it was about various neighbor problems and the legal route(s) they were taking.  Maurice, the rooster, was one of them.  That fella was LOUD.  I have to admit, it would not thrill me to live next door to him.

The houses around him were village houses (very close together), so no way of avoiding his wake up call.  It is something I check out, as best I can, prior to moving into a new place.

When we lived in Bédoin, our nearest neighbor was a farmer.  Our house was surrounded by his farm land.  As your linked article mentions, in summer (windows left open), I was regularly awakened around 5h30 or 6h00 by the farmer on his (rather old), very loud tractor shuffling right outside my bedroom window.  I did get used to it after a while.  I'd get up and close the window around 4h30, in anticipation...  Luckily, I really loved (still do) my neighbors, so that helped.  Farmer passed away last October.  He was one of the nicest men I have ever met.

I stay in touch with his widow.

I wonder how this new law will impinge on the battle in south-west Dordogne that has been going on for years now,  involving the man who dug a nice pond in his garden which filled up with noisy frogs.  The neighbours took him to court and won,  and he was ordered to fill the pond in.   The scientists and ecologists then got involved and he was told that he would be fined (tens of thousands) if he destroyed the habitat.

The poor man is cornered on both sides,  paying fines (again,  thousands already) for not obeying the instruction to fill in the pond and liable to fines if he does.

The case has featured on TF1 13.00 many times....

We bought land next to a ruisseau,  well, it went from a stream, to what looked like a small river, to a raging torrent sometimes, and we had lots of mosquitoes during our first two years.

And then our neighbour built a pond, and we never had a mosquito problem for the next twenty odd years. They had frogs in their pond, but we never heard them as we were far enough away, and even if we had, well, we would have adjusted, of that I am sure. No mozzies would have been worth it.

I feel so sorry for  this family. I think I would be contesting the first decision stating the grounds of the scientists and ecologists.

Used to have a similar problem to Lori's .. only ours was the local vigneron .. at vendange time .. when we bought why did we not realise that his tractor was stored in the barn across from us and that the only way he could get to his fields was right past our bedroom window.  But we just accepted it was for a short, and limited time and lived with it! 

We've moved now, so not the same problem, just early market arrivals once a week!