NOT Posting threads or replies

idun

I keep wondering why more people do not post. We have LOTS of members and yet toooooooo many simply lurk, there is no clique, no club of those who post, just people sat where ever they are and hitting the keyboard.

I know that lots of you have had a go at ALBF about his posts.

But at least he has been posting on here and getting replies, which is the ONLY way a board survives. And when one loses regular posters like Chancer, then that is VERY BAD, and very SAD too.

Me, this is as much as I can manage for hours. My pad is useless and often won't even show the board, and due to recent surgery, cannot sit here at my pc for more than five minutes without being in great pain, and that frankly puts me off.

So you lurkers, PLEASE post, or this board will probably end up dying.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lehaut, were you Johnnynomates at school, wat everyone ignored??

Most of my posts go unrequited, but do I worry, nahhh, just dream up more crup to post, though I must say that the important stuff usually gets excellent replies.

Just look at yesterday, Norman was kind enough to search through his extensive collection of Mantovani LPs and find a real classic oldie that he appears to have played and played and played and played................?

Me too, I have posts that don't get replies, so I should feel offended or something........ I don't think so.

And really, how is there a clique????

I truly get sick of that old soldier. I really really do.

On any board, there are people one gets drawn to, as in life, like the cut of their cloth, like the way they post,  just something about them. As in life, it does not mean that they reciprocate either!

There are people on here I am very fond of. And as in life, I do not agree with some of their posts, as I am sure that they do not agree with me.

And chez moi, there are many things that my and my old man do not agree on, and the kids, well, it seems the older they get, the less we agree on anything at all.

I have never met anyone on here. There are some I would like to meet up with, and cooperlola did just that, what an adventure that surely was. For me, if I ever do it, it would mean that I could end up with some meetings with joy and some with regret. And I shall never know unless I ever do it!

And new posters, well, I personally like ALBF, OK he comes out with some daft stuff, but as I had never seen him post anywhere before as I said, just like something about him. And he got the board posting......and that is a very good thing.

Ah well, lurkers please post, if you have been lurking for a long time, surely you understand how this works.

And that is me finished, my five minutes up, too long sat.

OK Idun - accept your challenge.

You wrote - Me, this is as much as I can manage for hours. My pad is useless and

often won't even show the board, and due to recent surgery, cannot sit

here at my pc for more than five minutes without being in great pain,

and that frankly puts me off.

So WHY have you got a useless Ipad - order one online for heavens sake - and then you can post as much as you want.

Ah - I'm sorry you're not well - don't like the sound of that 'painful surgery' -

wot you dun to yuself me old butt ?

Maybe the Ipads aren't such a great idea;  not a clue cause I don't want, don't need, and not inclined to spend a lot of money just to flash around something expensive to get lost, get broken, or stolen.   Not for me.

Only have a mobile phone, never switched on - for emergency use only.

Call me old-fashioned...do I care, nope !!!

Chessie

Here's a thing, Chessie.

I need a new computer of some sort. I've been looking around. A new laptop will leave me little in the way of change from £1k. I bought a cheap one a few years ago, and to be honest I would have been better off flushing the money down the toilet, as it won't even update Windows...bearing in mind I've barely used it since new and have nothing stored on it whatsoever. It has about as much memory as me, and I can't remember what I had for dinner an hour ago.

A new iPad, on the other hand, will cost me £399. It will do everything a laptop will do, more or less, and it's much more portable and flexible. If I were to get an Android tablet, I'd probably be able to spend a fair bit less. So, it's absolutely nothing to do with flashing it around (it never leaves the house, and if people visit, I don't answer the door waving my iPad). It won't get lost because I know where I put it. It's no more likely to get stolen than any other electrical item in the house, so if we get burgled it's a goner, but the same would be true of a laptop. It's just that if I buy a new machine, I'll get better value by purchasing an iPad.

And I have friends like you...have a mobile phone but never turn it on...but they've still got one. Who's the mug? If you have no use for a mobile phone, don't bother getting one! A few of our friends were waiting for us a few months ago and we'd had a bit of a problem. Out of politeness, we tried to call and let them know not to wait for us, but 3 out of 4 who had mobile phones had them turned off. To me, that's not only odd, but in some ways it's quite rude. Why? Well, if you give me your mobile number and don't switch your phone on, it's like saying "nothing you might ring me for can be important" whereas if you switch on your phone because you need to phone me, you'd expect me to answer because you think that your reason for calling IS important. Mi do hope that, if you ever have to use your mobile in an emergency, you don't have the misfortune to be trying to call someone like you.

I have a mobile phone, though I managed for years without one, and only really got one to start with when I rented a place without a phone, and that just for emergencies.  I bought an iphone whilst travelling in Oz as the wifi was naff, or expensive, and so do use it, but mainly for photos, email and some searching, keyboard is too small for me, and it won't text properly, and usually sits on the desk, whilst I type away at my MAC which I much prefer.  I also bought an ipad for when I travel, but I cannot do as much as I can with my MAC which admittedly I cannot travel with.

One good thing about the phone is that I can redirect calls from our landline and block those numbers I do not know, they are usually spam.  But then, I often don't answer it as I am not always near it and when it is in my bag I can't hear it.  I do use it to make calls, as is in next to me on my desk wherea the  landline isn't, and the mobile phone is useful when travelling too!

So the pros and cons of mobile phones.  But I could certainly live without one if need be.

The main "pro" of a mobile for me is that I pay nothing extra on top of my UK contract price to use my entire call/text/data allowance in many countries abroad. Quite the opposite of many, I've got rid of my landline in France and the mobile WiFi I was paying for, as I can manage quite happily for a couple or more months in France with my UK mobile without paying anything extra.

[quote user="chessie"]OK Idun - accept your challenge.

You wrote - Me, this is as much as I can manage for hours. My pad is useless and

often won't even show the board, and due to recent surgery, cannot sit

here at my pc for more than five minutes without being in great pain,

and that frankly puts me off.

So WHY have you got a useless Ipad - order one online for heavens sake - and then you can post as much as you want.

Ah - I'm sorry you're not well - don't like the sound of that 'painful surgery' -

wot you dun to yuself me old butt ?

Maybe the Ipads aren't such a great idea;  not a clue cause I don't want, don't need, and not inclined to spend a lot of money just to flash around something expensive to get lost, get broken, or stolen.   Not for me.

Only have a mobile phone, never switched on - for emergency use only.

Call me old-fashioned...do I care, nope !!!

Chessie

[/quote]

Chessie for some reason I can use this pad tonight.

Have I got money to replace this one, nope.

Remember, we lived most of a full working life in France. I would suggest that ending up with a lot of spare dosh would be very difficult and pensions are just that, pensions! No taking a lump of cash out of it, it is simply paid monthly until death do us part.

We are not poor but not aise either, and big expenditures have to be justified, and my pc is fine, just 'me' who cannot sit at it yet. Soon, but not yet.

So I post when I can, but I do post. And I would suggest that I alone would not be able ressusitate this board, takes lots of willing posters and 'lurkers'!

You can call - hmmm - interesting points about an Ipad.

Mobile phone - aaahhhh - but Betty I'm not being 'rude' - because I have never told anyone my mobile phone number.   It's for emergency use only ie if the landline goes down for a day or so, but, very important out here - in case the car breaks down - and I get stranded !!   That is the one and only reason - and no-one knows the number.    So I can't be rude by not answering - cos there's no-one gonna phone me !!    In case of such an emergency - it'll be a phone call to the garage or emergency break-down insurance number - not anyone else carrying a 'switched off' mobile.

It's one of the many differences between living in the UK and living in the French out-back.

Chessie

Betty, although you'll pay, was it £399 for an ipad, you end up forking out a lot more for apps etc compared to an android device of a similar spec. Or so I have always believed.  The spec on a £1000 laptop must surely be considerably higher than a £399 ipad?

I'm not sure how you get there, Teapot. I've never paid for an app in my life, android or iOS. You can print from the newer iPads too. Now I'm no longer dependent on a laptop for work, I haven't switched mine on more than once in the last 12 months. An iPad is cheaper than either a Samsung galaxy tablet or the Microsoft or google tablet type thingies (in fact, not to prove anything here but simply because I AM looking, I found a brand new iPad 2017 for around £270 on Amazon yesterday). My current iPad is fine and will probably go on forever, but no longer updates to the most recent iOS because that's what Apple do. However, as my much newer laptop hasn't enough memory to update to even the latest version of Windows 10 (with which it came) I'm persuaded that I'd have to fork out for a much higher spec laptop to get what I need.

Chessie, again, who's the mug? You've got a mobile phone. I'm assuming that somehow, you have paid for at least part of the cost of ownership...either buying the phone or, at the very least, paying for some sort of connection to the mobile network. And you must have to know where it is, keep it charged, and remember to take it with you when you go to the sort of places where you might break down and have an emergency which dictates that you switch it on. What a lot of faff and kerfuffle for something you may never need (by your criteria) to use! At least those of us who can be bothered to take full advantage of the cost of owning a mobile get something back for our money! :-)

I will stop ''lurking'' and post on this thread:-

£1000 for a laptop, that's unreal. The spec may be (very) high but I'm willing to bet that it will be outdated within less than a year. I reckon between £300 and £600 will get a perfectly serviceable laptop, with a warranty but unfortunately it will be Windows 10 (spit). You just can't avoid it these days.

I am typing this on a 9 year old Acer Aspire running Windows 7 and it still works perfectly.

Betty wrote : Quite the opposite of many, I've got rid of my landline in France and the mobile WiFi I was paying for, as I can manage quite happily for a couple or more months in France with my UK mobile without paying anything extra.

That's good for you, as you come and go, but not having a fixed phone or a french mobile would be awkward if you lived here permanently.

We need to contact and be contacted by plumbers, EDF and the hospital (all happened to us in the last few days)) and I'm sure we would soon be ostracised if they had to face the huge cost of contacting a UK mobile every time an appointment needed to be made or changed.

I am ''sort of'' with Chessie on the mobile phone front.

I have a mobile phone, it's an i phone 6 (I think), it was a recycled phone from my son. It replaced my previous Samsung Galaxy which again was a recycled phone from a daughter that time.

The phone is always on and I even occasionally remember to take it with me when I am out. I don't know the number so it's written on a label stuck on the back - after all how often do you phone your own phone.

I spent many years being a 'slave' to a mobile phone because of my job, at that time the phone was never, ever, switched off even at night it lived on my bedside cabinet. Now I suppose that I am rebelling against the need.

Powedesal...my current laptop cost me about £400: see above.

Sue: totally appreciate your comment. I wouldn't do without a landline or French mobile if I lived in France, but I don't. In fact, I have had a French landline and five (count them! That's 5) mobile accounts with different suppliers, but for one reason or another, I ended up having hassles and problems with each one, and in the end I became so sick of changing numbers and suppliers and having to sort out complications that I binned them. Not to mention the fact that giving my mobile number to people got out of hand when it was changing almost annually! As most of my French friends can work whatsapp or send a text, and immigrant friends have packages with free phone calls, the people I do need to contact don't incur extra costs if they want to contact me.

Call me Bett - there's such a thing as 'pay as you go'...   Daughter picked up phone for me in UK - cost 79 pence and pre-loaded with some £££s - that can be 'topped up' when necessary.    So not much cost involved, no contract, no nothing.

Just one emergency phone, with money, that'll get me out of any problem.    Why should I want anything more.    Can contact anyone I need by e-mail or land-line - not a problem.

We lead different lives - so my emergency mobile is all I need.

As for remembering it - well - it sits in my handbag, with my french and UK credit cards, my french carte vitale, my french driving licence, and my purse containing cash etc.   I do remember to charge it up once a week.... that's all I need to remember.   And as I always, but always, carry my handbag then I always have my mobile.   So what's to forget ?

I feel sorry for some people who are always 'plugged into' their Ipads, mobiles etc - they seem to live their lives in a bubble;  as in 'I'm so important, must follow social media, friends have to be able to speak to me instantly - they might forget me if they can't get hold of me right now, this instant....'

Don't need, don't want, don't like.

You live most of your life (I presume) in the UK and need to be in contact with everyone because of your busy working life, social life etc.

I live in France; I'm retired - I no longer need that 'urgent, busy, important' mode of life any more - thank goodness.  Looking back I'm amazed at the stress and pressure I coped with - and am so relieved that I don't have to be permanently plugged into mobiles and 'always contactable because I was so 'irreplacable, essential, etc etc'.   

Chessie

I do have a mobile phone, could have internet on it, but don't. I use it sometimes, and it is handy for texts.

Slave to these devices, no.

I love being sat a desk and typing on a decent size keyboard which does not autocorrect me, which as some of you may notice, my spelling is very iffy, but at least when I write 'Chessie' on here, it does not autocorrect to Cheese!

In fact, if I could get this keyboard to make something like the noise of a proper typewriter, I would be rather pleased. Although, I reckon that my husband would blow a fuse if I did.

Still does not alter the fact that for the time being, and for some time, I have been unable to sit at this PC. Also, pre getting fibre optic, we previously had Openreach,because it always is they who provide the lines for every other provider, but Virgin,  we had a disjointed connection, which was apparently 'our' fault.

Donc, an iffy connection, me not being able to sit at my desk and my posting has been limited for quite some time.

Now my pad often simply shows a Complete France and the top of the page, and NOTHING else and sometimes it works, but it is capricious to say the least.

I remember my brother, who got a HUGE lump sum when he retired, well it seemed so to me, saying, so and so is only £300. I am never jealous of what he has or anyone has, but the reality of the world is that for some of us, that is a HUGE lump sum, that £300 and has to be saved for and decided if it is necessary to fork out on. So a new pad, for the time being as we have to save for other things that are essential at the moment is a no-goer for me.

Mobile/smart-phones are wonderful things - provided you can get a signal.

Here it is quite interesting to see the artisans doing work around the village, hanging out of windows with their device in their hand or standing in the middle of the square arm stretched upwards and spinning like a dervish devotee.

So no we don't have a French mobile, but do have a UK PAYG one for an emergency.

Thanks, powerdesal. As it's still more expensive than the price I'd be able to pay for an iPad and I've been exclusively using an iPad for about 2 years without issue, I think my mind is made up. I promise not to wave it at people to le them know I've got one.

Idun...it's not an inconsiderable sum for me, either..hence I'm hanging in until the situation with my current hardware becomes untenable. For me, an iPad is also a godsend when the weather is cold, as we don't have the heating on all day, and it's nice and warm in the sitting room with the log burner so I can sit in there and use my iPad..

And when I was still working, I was self employed. Not indispensable or important, just self employed. Which means that if you want potential or existing clients to contact you, a mobile is pretty important.

ETA. Why would I buy a new laptop with Windows 7 when mainstream support is already discontinued and extended support has less than 2 years to run? And when I actually have no axe to grind with Windows 10? As I've said (several times) my current laptop came with Windows 10 and can't update it because the laptop itself hasn't enough RAM. my bad, but if I get a Windows 7 computer and have, eventually, to upgrade to Windows10, I could well find the same happens again. Which is all moot if I just get another iPad.....

And Chessie...I am aware of PAYG. But you have to do the P part.... FYI I have a sim-only phone and a pay-monthly deal I can stop any day. I'm not contracted to a provider.

[quote user="You can call me Betty"]Why would I buy a new laptop with Windows 7 when mainstream support is already discontinued and extended support has less than 2 years to run? And when I actually have no axe to grind with Windows 10?[/quote]

The machine I linked to is powerful, a good price and capable enough to handle W10. Like powerdesal I'm perfectly content with W7 on my 10 year old Dell laptop which will not support W10 because of the graphics. However, I have downloaded an ISO image file of W10 from MS and should I decide to purchase the Lenovo I linked to, as and when it becomes necessary to run W10, then I shall run the ISO W10 installation on the Lenovo.

With regard to mobile communication devices, the nearest I came to using one of those was a CB radio when I lived in the USA in the 70's and 80's.