Frexit?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure either about banning fois gras or countless other animal atrocities but I think the basic premise is right, stop animal cruelty. If nothing is ever said, regardless as to whether it leads to a ban then nothing will ever be done to stop it.

I'm not so sure the E.U. did listen very much to the U.K. in actual fact. Of course there is the possibility that the U.K. could shut itself off from many things but I feel sure that is unlikely. Remainers won't like it but the U.K. is a force still to be reckoned with. I'm pleased that the U.K. has left and as of yet can't really see any major differences; and I don't really expect to. Commerce is important to everyone and whilst there will still be arguments the bottom line is trade and it will continue. I think that Brexit was dealt with as well as it could have been given, in my view, the intransigence of the E.U.

What saddens me most is that certain groups of Brits have lost opportunities to expand their horizons, and especially, that these groups tend to be the ones in quite precarious situations, who really had scope to benefit, but who can't afford to buy back the freedoms that used to be theirs by right.

One example: young British musicians and artistes who are facing the prospect not being able to perform anywhere outside the UK and Ireland without a lot of hassle and expense. Touring and meeting other young musicians and other audiences is so important to their development.

Second example: the thousands of British youngsters who used to go to the EU every year on working holidays. For some of them it was a life changing experience, for the first time ever they felt they were doing something exciting and worthwhile and it inspired them to make something of themselves when they went back to the UK. That's all finished now, and it will be that little bit harder for a kid from a deprived background who left school with poor grades and no job, to get inspired.

I could go on but I won't because it's all there in plain sight, and if people can't see it or think it doesn't matter, pointing it out won't make any difference.

EuroTr@ash wrote:

That's all finished now, and it will be that little bit harder for a kid from a deprived background who left school with poor grades and no job, to get inspired."

If he gets in a rubber boat and sails from Calais to Dover it's not t finished. ??

The whole brexit thing is not reported in French news.

The way the EU commission behaves is not reported in French news.

The French are really not interested in European politics. I wish they were.

You know, I really hope the UK builds a new 'EU'.

I have never understood and will never understand why France shags the backside of Germany.

That is Brexit in a nutshell. France shagging Germany all the time.

I really believe the 'French' have more in common with the UK than Germany.

Why they continually prostitute themselves towards Germany is beyond me.

EuroTr@sh wrote the following post at 21/02/2021 17:47:

Doh, I don't get it NickP.

If who gets in a rubber boat?

Sorry an' all, I know it spoils the joke when you have to explain it, but...

My daughter who is the Marketing Manager of a company that is one of biggest spenders of advertising on UK TV, says to me when I say I don't understand that advert, if you don't understand it, probably it isn't aimed at you.. Although as I think that most of your comments tend to be pro-EU, maybe your understanding is selective in this case. ???

[quote user="EuroTrash"]

One example: young British musicians and artistes who are facing the prospect not being able to perform anywhere outside the UK and Ireland without a lot of hassle and expense. Touring and meeting other young musicians and other audiences is so important to their development.[/quote]

The hastle and expense of having to travel to Hamburg to perform didn't appear to hold the Beatles careers back too much.

"NickP wrote the following post at 21/02/2021 20:02:

My daughter who is the Marketing Manager of a company that is one of biggest spenders of advertising on UK TV, says to me when I say I don't understand that advert, if you don't understand it, probably it isn't aimed at you.. Although as I think that most of your comments tend to be pro-EU, maybe your understanding is selective in this case. ???"

Not intentionally selective. I was on about kids from UK inner cities looking at a potentially bleak future, no longer having the same opportunities to experience Europe. I'm still scratching my head trying to tie that in with somebody setting off from Calais in a rubber boat. Too subtle for me! or am I being too literal minded?

[quote user="EuroTrash"]

Exactly.

They couldn't just go there and play gigs now.
[/quote]

Just as the Beatles or any other non German resident were unable to do so in 1960 without the the correct visa and carnet.

It might have escaped your notice but the EU freedom of movement did not evolve until 1992.

I can't think that kids from inner cities or anywhere else for that matter are looking at a 'potentially' bleak future because they will now have to fill out the odd form!! Probably exactly the same form I (we) had to fill out to move around Europe. Though given the state of education these days filling out a form may be beyond some!!

They couldn't then either! They did have to have the appropriate paper work! Not too erroneous then; or now! It does seem to me that the covering argument that things now are so much more difficult or the implication that things are impossible is a gross exaggeration.

Movement now will simply revert, more or less as o how it was before and that never stopped anyone from travelling or artists performing. It really was never difficult.

Well, perhaps apart from the way you put it I agree with most of what you have said. Brexit was hardly ever a topic on French news and certainly nothing now despite the ongoing squabbles. Neither is there any reporting on the behaviour of the E.U parliament. Nothing at all about AVL and the fiasco of the vaccines and N.I. so is it little wonder the French have little interest in politics! They are simply not informed.

Equally, like you I am mystified as to why France considers Germany to be a soul mate! Given the history you would think they would hate the Germans. I have raised that question with French friends and they basically avoid the subject. Fear perhaps! As for France and Britain being the best of buddies, that I can't agree with. Don't you know that every problem with the world is Britains fault!!!!

Part of my French family are from the Vosges and many others live on the German border.

I have brought the subject up a few times and they just look perplexed with my questions.

It is a strange relationship between the French and zee Germans. Many French do think the Germans are the master race. I wish I could put that better. Or find the word. Sometimes I think they are sacred of them.

I don't think it is the same the other way around. I think the Germans look down on the French personally. I don't think the Germans show much respect to the French.

Is that the same with the UK ?. No of course not. Apart from a few jokes.

Regarding your last point.

More French (I think I am right) live in the UK than any other EU country.

France is the biggest European investor in UK property.

In now 23 years, I have not had any animosity shown towards me for being British. In fact, as soon as they know I am British...they can't stop chatting about how much they love the UK or how their friends or sons/daughters live and work in the UK.

So your point (IMHO) is wrong.

This is about generations as well. The older generation turn their nose up at anything foreign to be fair. Apart from Germany.

cajal wrote the following post at 21/02/2021 22:14:

Just as the Beatles or any other non German resident were unable to do so in 1960 without the the correct visa and carnet.

It might have escaped your notice but the EU freedom of movement did not evolve until 1992.

On the last point, yes it did escape my notice - what changed with FoM in 1992? It was introduced in the 1960s, before the UK joined the EEC and it's been evolving ever since, I wasn't aware of any big changes as late as 1992. But since the UK wasn't in the EEC when the Beatles were in Hamburg, I don't see what FoM has to do with it?

I don't know a lot about the Beatles, I was more of a Stones fan, but I thought basically their agent arranged a contract for them as a resident band at a nightclub. So again I'm not sure what that situation to do with new bands touring Europe, apart from illustrating the value of mixing cultures.

The thread of this discussion seems to be evading me. One more post then I'm out.