Frexit?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="chessfou2"]Frexit - the wet dream of Brexiters, but more likely than the idea of Irexit! Astonishingly, Irexit is often mentioned by Brexiters (English) and about 3 people in Ireland.[/quote]

Where did you get that one from? Not an everyday phrase I have heard.

chessfou2 wrote the following post at 15/02/2021 13:31:

Frexit - the wet dream of Brexiters, but more likely than the idea of Irexit! Astonishingly, Irexit is often mentioned by Brexiters (English) and about 3 people in Ireland

Don't mix up your wet dreams with what other people think.

The vote was quite clear about Brexit.

Just why is anyone saying that more people in the UK didn't want brexit?

Maybe those who couldn't be axxxd to vote are now moaning and whosoever believes that their views now are pertinent, they are not! Is that what you are saying?

If that is the case, then I  just think, tant pis, if they had wanted to vote they could have done. And I would have accepted whichever vote we ended up with.

Please, if you are a believer in instant gratification, then so be it, but I am not, sounds like you want everything to suit you and be a marvel within seven weeks, well, think on and a little pragmatism wouldn't go a miss.

I realise that many things take time. I expected a rare old mess  to put it mildly when the official brexit started. I do not even know how it could have been other wise.

Also, I assumed that the french would kick up, and I am not yet sure how much they have. If things get no worse with the french, then I will be amazed.

Remember I remember the french highjacking british wagons assaulting one driver there was poisoning and slitting  sheep's throats and also burning lambs live......... quelle honte!!!  There have been awful scenes like this since too. We have a long history of 'bad' things.

So you can think badly of Brexit all you want, but I have never liked us being in Europe since I voted a 'no' in 1975. And in spite of living in France for so long, I never saw one thing that I thought, well, that's just marvellous. I agree there was a lot of things that facilitated movement of people, but I didn't agree with the ease of that either.

Ask me in 7 years and if we are a little island on the edge of europe living in mud huts, then,  we will be. We will get over it. And we are still getting illegal immigrants risking their lives to get to the UK from France???so why is that????

BinB asked "The true logic of a leave voter. Go on then tell us one advantage that’s obvious in seven weeks ?"

There are no advantages of being outside of a European Union...i.e....free trade, free movememnt of people .

But I can think of many advantages for not being ruled by the European Commision.

For example, the UK can now ban Foie Gras. Like it should be banned.

You might need to think about that one.

alittlebitfrench wrote the following post at 18/02/2021 5:43:

But I can think of many advantages for not being ruled by the European Commision.

For example, the UK can now ban Foie Gras. Like it should be banned.

You might need to think about that one.

Well I did think about it, perhaps I need more time because I couldn't see much point. The problem is that I don't think the UK actually eats much foie gras. Most people in the UK are anti it. So what actual good will "banning" it do, apart from virtue signalling, and reducing freedom of choice. for the people who live in the UK?If the UK was a massive foie gras importer it would have an impact but it's not. It's not going to stop it being produced and consumed elsewhere so what will it achieve?

Whereas, if the UK had lobbied hard and long against the practice while it was a member of the EU, it might have had an impact. The EU did used to listen to the UK.

That's the thing. Brexit UK can shut itself off and turn a blind eye to what's happening elsewhere, or more likely point at things and say "we don't do that, we're better than them." Which is fine but being insular and global at the same time is going to be like walking a tightrope.

My basic view on Brexit hasn't really changed since 2016 - handled well the disadvantages could have been minimised and the potential pros could have outweighed the cons. But it hasn't been handled well

The problem is...the EU will not ban foie gras because France says 'non'.

It can ban chlorinated chicken from America though.

What are the standards here ?

Animal cruelty is cruelty. Something I feel strongly about. Foie gras should be banned.

You can't stop there being two headquarters of the EU because France says 'non'. They have the veto. You can't stop it unless they say 'yes'.

But it costs money ? My money. Yes, I still contribute to the EU.

How many people could be taken out of poverty with 27 million ish euros a year ? (The yearly cost of moving backwards and forwards every month)

At the end of the day, France and Germany run the EU. Everyone else has to toe in line. Nothing can change without their permission.

That is Brexit in a nutshell.

BinB will turn a blind eye to these stupidities because he gets free movememnt in return. But I can't.

Really it is a case of right and wrong. And people need to stick up for their morals. Even at a cost.

I will hand in my membership of my local golf course (even if was the best golf course in the world) if the management were neo fascists. I won't turn a blind eye to their neo-fascism just because it is the best golf course in the world.

You have to stand up. You have to make a point otherwise nothing will change for the better in this world.

We need to think of our kids future.

You pick one example and make it sound very simple ALBF.

The UK thinks foie gras is cruel (I agree) and yet it didn't see any problem with keeping egg producing hens in battery cages with less than A4 space per hen. The EU banned this in 2012 and some sections of the UK industry were not happy about it at all, they were furious about EU interference (I was freelancing for a farming magazine back then and I talked to egg producers and wrote about it so I remember it quite well).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16540769

The UK industry has adapted and it won't go back to caged egg production but the question is, will Brexit UK accept the import of cheap caged eggs? It hasn't said it won't. That to my mind is worse than foie gras because it is thousands of hens being kept in intolerable conditions for their whole miserable lives. But hey, cheap eggs, yeah!.

This is an old article but I don't think a ban has been mooted, if it has I take it all back.

https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/eggs-and-poultry/brexit-set-to-bring-billions-of-battery-eggs-to-the-uk/591118.article

Here's a quick few off the top of my head for BinB....

1, We'll be the first european country to ban live animal exports

2 . VAT on female sanitary products eliminated, something the Maastricht treaty forbade.

3 EURocrats won't be spending our taxes on vanity projects in eastern Europe so that western european manufacturers can move production there for cheaper labour and working rights.

Oh, and how's your vaccine program going??

I have to admit that the VAT on tampons thing makes me laugh. The government itself has estimated that it will save each woman up to £40 over their menstruating lifetime. Life-changing, not. But it ticks a lot of boxes and grabs the headlines I suppose.

PS and I say that as a woman.

Yonner said..

EURocrats won't be spending our taxes on vanity projects in eastern Europe so that western european manufacturers can move production there for cheaper labour and working rights.

......and then close down those planrts when labour gets too expensive and move their facilties to Cuba...or wherever.

Which is true.

BinB is going to have a heart attack reading this.

I'm not knocking it Yonner, whatever floats your boat is fine.

I'm just eternally astonished at other folks' priorities, at least as portrayed by the media.

The UK is and always has been free to respond to the electorate over so many things such as doing something about in-work poverty and child poverty, which have been rising steadily and are said to be currently at record levels but there is strangely little fuss about that. Obviously not as important as tampon tax.