two views of the necessity for a 3rd confinement

mint

Articles about the virus and measures to contain it abound in all media.  But here is an up-to-date overview that I think is particularly clear.

Lori, your area is mentioned and you might find this interesting[:)]

[url]https://www.sudouest.fr/sante/coronavirus/variants-1266515.php[/url]

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I've read similar articles.  I just don't see them calling for another hard confinement.  It was made clear, at least to me, that it simply isn't going to happen.  And, even if they did call for one, I'm not so sure people will adhere to it.

Here, as usual, I see very little change in lifestyle.  Yes, most - not all - shops close at 18h00.  All hair salons here remain open and frequented.  I see groups of people gather in the park for dancing - like line dancing, no social distancing (groups of around 25 with a D.J. or live band).

The weekly market days are packed with people, maybe 60% wearing masks (not all correctly), that includes the vendors.  No social distancing.  A week ago, there was a group of what looked like about 30 people sitting in a tent (closed on all four sides, but with clear plastic entry doors) set up outside eating a meal together (no idea what that was about), absolutely no distancing there. 

The usual, pre-confinement, number of people on the streets well after 18h00, even after 19h00.  I have never seen a controle on anyone anywhere.

I can see all of these things from the windows of my house.

If the restaurants were open, I'm confident they'd be packed.

From purely medical point of view I think that there would be a third confinement, but I sense that the Government feels that it  would not be respected and can't be afforded.

I see something of the same behaviour as Lori, and reckon that it is probably like that in most urban areas.

I conclude  that it is up to those of most at risk of complications if we caught the disease to practise an 'auto-confinement' rather than waiting for a general one..

I agree with you Norman.  We don't go in any enclosed establishments.  We do walk in the park when it is not -2 degrees (like today with snow), but do not come close to any humans (it's a big park).  So we try to protect ourselves as best we can.  I'm just amazed what I see taking place outside my windows.

On the same subject, I am very upset that we have to allow an inspector into the house on Monday 15 fev.  The owner of the house said the department needs to inspect the l'eau d'usages (or whatever term they use) to ensure house is compliant.  Sounds like there is more to this than I am being told.  However, either one or two inspectors will be here Monday at 14h00 to inspect every 'point d'eau' in this house.  That means they will need to pass through the master bedroom to get to the en suite.  I am told it could take up to 45 minutes.    ANGRY !!!!!!!!!!!!

Husband will simply leave the house for a walk.  I will remain here as someone has to.  I cannot have strangers left alone roaming through my home.  Since I supposedly had the virus in July, I will be the one to stay to 'receive' them.  I'd like to tell them off !

Yes, that is the plan Wooly.  No mask, no entry and, of course, I will be double masked.

Hopefully it will not rain that day.  As of today, rain is forecasted for that day.  However, meteo France cannot seem to get the forecast right round here even for the next day, so who knows about the 15th.  Can't very well open the main windows (they are large) if it is pouring rain.  Bathroom windows WILL be opened no matter what.

I'd like to lock all the other rooms off, but I am afraid they will touch all the door handles trying to enter the rooms - no matter if I tell them there is no water in any of the rooms.  I don't want them touching anything.  We will be removing ALL of our personal items from the salle d'eau in our bedroom.

Of course, I will be cleaning every faucet, counter, bannister, guard rail, floor, etc. upon their departure.

Oh Lori, what a time to have people, never mind complete strangers, coming into your house and walking through your rooms. Uggghhhh......certainly not the best idea of the water authrorities or whoever are sending them.

I don't suppose there is a legitimate channel to say no, not now, thank you.......or you would have protested already?

Yes, Mint, I did say no.  The authorities just sent the 2nd threatening letter telling owner he better let them inspect or expect judicial replies.  That is why I suspect there is more to this than I'm being told.

I have my suspicions.

Can you ask to see that they have a recent (24hr) clean Pcr test result?

It is complicated in that you are not the owner who has been told he must let them enter.

It is your domicile not his (even if it is his property) and I suspect that if they enter without your consent it could be a

(clickable link)

Le délit de violation de domicile peut être reproché à :

• une

personne dépositaire de l'autorité publique ou chargée d'une mission de

service public, agissant dans l'exercice de ses fonctions ou de sa

mission (hors les cas prévus par la loi) ;

Lori wrote the following post at 10 Feb 2021 19:47:

Yes, Mint, I did say no. The authorities just sent the 2nd threatening letter telling owner he better let them inspect or expect judicial replies. That is why I suspect there is more to this than I'm being told.

There are only a few categories of people who can enter your residence without your permission if you are renting. Bailiffs (if you owe money) but only if they are in possession of a court order .. plus a few others.

I don't remember water people being among them ..

You can forbid them to touch anything .. door handles included; the Covid rules are pretty strict at the moment.

You, as the renter, have rights to the 'jouissance de la propriété en toute sécurité'. Norman is right.

You also have a perfect right to ask to see the court order allowing them to enter .. wear gloves.

Tell them they will be trespassing if they enter without your permission.

During the 5 year legal battle with out tenant in St Malo, we sent a "huissier de justice" twice. The first time she did not answer the door, letter left in letter box, considered as "served". The second time she answered the door, he asked to enter she said "no". That was that. If your inspectors are operating on a court order, I would want to see it.

I have heard of the need to inspect used water discharge in a private dwelling to verify that, all grey/toilet water goes in to the 'tout a l'egoute" and not the "eau assainissement" system (street drains) and vice versa (they did this three years ago when we sold our house.) This was for a sale and under recent new legislation.

If the system was abused, in our village the alternative was to put a coloured smoke bomb in the drain to see where the smoke comes out in the house or external drain pipes!

However, I know that within our residence there is a dispute with one owner who refuses to accept that his shower alterations are leaking down through the various "dalles" to flat below. This is despite dye being put in his drains that appear in the flat below!

There are also particular rules about putting in macerator toilets in some flats - it could also be an inspection for that?

If I were you I would contact the Syndic that looks after your flats and ask them what is going on.

Thank you all for the suggestions.  It is this part of the violation of domicile that would probably apply here:

'Le bénéficiaire de cette protection est donc en droit d'interdire l'accès de ce lieu à quiconque (particuliers ou autorités), en dehors des cas exceptés par la loi (constats ou saisies aux heures légales).'

I was told it was the city/department that must gain entry.  I don't think it is actually Veolia.  They (I presume the department but I have not seen these letters) have apparently sent two letters advising him if he doesn't allow them to inspect the water points, he can expect some sort of legal demand.

I suspect it is to inspect something along the lines of what Lehaut wrote (thank you for that).  But, of course, I don't really  know.  Owner says he doesn't really know either, but he too has his suspicions.  He recently converted a garage (attached to the house) to living space (we don't live in this part of the home - HE does).  I have no idea if he got planning permission to do that.  But, the house is in the center of town, so no way to hide that from all that pass by.  In doing this, I believe there was some change to the plumbing, but I am not sure to what degree.

I don't want to cause problems for the landlord, but these are not normal times.  I plan to send him an email today letting him know that we are not happy about this visit and that OH will leave the house in an effort to protect himself. I will remain here but will distance and do not want them touching anything that isn't necessary, masks required.

If I don't let them in on the 15th, they will just keep pestering us until they do get in.  It could be the end of summer before we get our vaccines.  I do NOT wish to make this pleasant for anyone involved, but I'd like it over and done with.  However, I also have no idea if whatever they find will require OTHER people to come in for some 'intervention.'

What would you do?  It is not supposed to take more than 45 minutes and that would include the owner's dwelling (other side of ours - kinda like mitoyenne) and our dwelling.  So, I imagine less than 45 minutes in our side.

Oh and I gather that the court order is what the second letter was referring to.  I don't think there is a court order yet.  But, if one is sent, then I presume I would have no choice but to let them in. 

Amazing to me that they are asking people to delay non-emergency medical procedures, but this kind of thing is apparently FAR more important and cannot be delayed.

SMH

Oh and there is no SYNDIC.  This is a home that has been made into two dwellings (last year).  This home is mitoyenne with one other home (occupants I do not know but owner of this dwelling does know).

FYI, just had a phone conversation with the owner of the house.  He has cancelled the appointment.  It was exactly as Lehaut had described.  No idea why they think this needs to be done, but I don't see how it could be considered urgent.

Lori, you must both be feeling very relieved that the appointment has been cancelled. I couldn't help, but, echoing Norman, there’s a wealth of experience and info from members on here.

All I could think of was to ring them up coughing and spluttering and say how ill you were feeling but that they should be OK as you’d wear a mask, in the hope that they’d be so frightened of catching Covid to even thinking of disturbing you! ?

GG, you know that thought DID occur to me.  But, to be honest, it would not surprise me if they said, oh don't worry, we'll be wearing masks !!!  Round here, nothing would surprise me.  OR, they would just move the appointment out 10 days .....

I'll still keep it in my stash of possibilities.