Re: Odd vaccination appointment

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sincerely hope we DO have a choice of vaccine.
I do NOT want the Sputnik one, nor the Pfizer;  as I understand it there's more chance of side-effects with the Pfizer - and I would prefer to avoid.
As for the Sputnik - not flippin likely thank you very much.

What a mess;  and the eu is now telling lies about how the uk has supposedly blocked exports of vaccine.
What a shower; having made a complete horlicks of it because of a power-grab and ego's - they are still telling lies.

I'll wait for the pharmacy, and insist on the OxfordAstra....
The way things are going right now in France, think I'll do a runner back to the UK and have my jab there as long-term visitor staying with family !!!!!!!
Chessie

Thanks for the link nomoss. It tells me that I qualify for vaccination at a pharmacy from 15th March. The question is, how do I make an appointment? Does anyone know please? It is not mentioned on santé.fr. I have been on there daily looking for an appointment but every centre de vaccination in Charente says none are available

Ring your pharmacy and ask them if they have a "liste d'attente" for the vaccine.

I rang our local pharmacy last week on behalf of MoH and they took our phone number with a promise to ring once they had more information.

We will see if it works but worth seeing if yours will be doing anything similar.

[quote user="Graham and Brenda"]I have been on there daily looking for an appointment but every centre de vaccination in Charente says none are available[/quote]

Whilst taking our 15min recoup session following our jabs last Sunday we were in conversation with a guy sitting opposite to us and it transpired that he was not a resident in our department but had seen rdv's available in the department on Friday evening and had successfully booked one.

His wife did not have an rdv as she didn't feel she could legitimately press the 'Accept' button to confirm her eligibility. However, the admin staff suggested she should hang-about outside in case of a no show.

Perhaps you would be advised to spread your wings?

Well, got my jab today, finally.  Out of age group, so went armed with doctor's prescription as requested.  Ignored.  Doctor thought about age, then decided I ocudl have it. Will never understand the French!  So far so good, lunchtime jab, can feel a slight tenderness when I press hard .. see what overnight brings! Been a big day though ..

Lori,

Yes, as per doctor's wishes!  As I said, tender overnight, as expected, took paracetamol, but I do that for other pains anyhow, and woke today feeling as though I'd walked into something and that is was bruised. Probably slept on that side at one point too.  Took arnica, then my usual meds, which includes cortisone, for the same problem (the current tendonitis, plus aggravated arthritis due to the immunotherapy) and now,2 hours  later can hardly feel it though it is still there a little  .. fingers crossed that will be it .. we'll see.  I'm tired though after yesterday's big day with it's scenic tour (intentional explore to work out the best way as GPS was wrong as I suspected!), two lots of shopping on the way back, and then my lunch (a sandwich) at 3pm on our terrace in the sun!

I know I had the last dose in the bottle, and as it was lunchtime, I suspect I was the last one for that batch, it might be why the doctor let me through as otherwise it would have gone to waste presumably. 

They do give you the next rdv before you leave, but as I expected (I'd done the calculation) mine clashed with my next Immunotherapy appointment so managed to change it to the next day, but I am really not too worried about putting it back a day or two longer if I can, the 4wks interval has been proved to be not too seriously important.

Pleased you have had your first jab Judith. Yes, everyone is different with reactions, or not, to this.

Apart from a little soreness at the 'jab site', fatigue for a couple of days seems to be the one that I have heard of most. 

So far so good, any pain reducing already.  But then, I find that I cannot "deplacer" the rdv for the next dose without first "annuler" it! (I may have to stay overnight after my previous day's  treatmtent, if so impossible to keep it) so go  hunting, et voilà, suddenly, for a week later (so 5 weeks instead of 4) an appointment for second jabs at my local (walkable) centre, mid-afternoon.  So booked it, and then sent an email (as couldn't do it via Doctolib) to Beziers who did my first dose.

Now THAT should test the system!

I'm not holding my breath ... if they are waiting in the UK 12 wks for their second doses, I'm not worried even. It'll happen, eventually! Meanwhile, I'm as well protected as most, and better than many!

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the advice Weegie.  We contacted our pharmacy last week and put our names on their liste d'attente.

They phoned yesterday and now we have both been jabbed, 2 days before the campaign opens up to those in our category!  Good idea and a system that worked.

We had appointments at a centre for next week but other people will benefit from those now.

That's great slowfox.  Do you mind me asking which vaccine you got?  Was it the AZ one?  Have you had any side effects?

I put my husband's name on the pharmacy list here as he qualifies, but they haven't called yet.  I presume they will be giving the AZ vaccines, but don't really know.

Yes Lori, it was the Asda Vinegar one.  Neither of us have had any side effects; we didn't even feel the injection.  Fortunately we're fit & active with no co-morbidities.  Several younger friends in the UK felt feverish etc for 12 hours.  As a matter of interest, relating to an earlier post, I'm 1.85m/85kg but my wife is a lot less of both.  Would a vet use the same dose for a Shetland pony as a Shire horse?

Interestingly, the appointments that we had for next week that we've now cancelled were for the Pfizer.  Good luck.

Thanks for the reply Slowfox.  I love the Asda Vinegar term.  Gave me a good laugh.

I hope you both continue with no side effects and yes, I do find it interesting that folks get the same dose no matter how small or how big they are.  Seems like that could certainly have an effect on how a body might react.

I did a bit of research Lori, and found...

“Vaccines work differently because it’s not about having a certain level of it in your blood, it’s about stimulating the immune system, and most people’s immune system’s will react to a very small amount of whatever it is that they’re being exposed to,” Dr. Amesh Adalja, a senior scholar with the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security, told McClatchy News.

“So, it’s not a dose-response relationship. It’s about finding the perfect dose for the immune system to get the right amount of stimulation, and for most vaccines, it’s pretty much ‘one size fits all,’” Adalja added.

Just think about how tiny viruses and bacteria are. The coronavirus is 60 to 140 nanometers across. For reference, a sheet of paper is about 100,000 nanometers thick.

All it takes is a microscopic amount of virus to make someone sick. “That type of principle really applies to vaccines,” too, Adalja said.

“Because immune systems have evolved to respond to such minute quantities of something they deem foreign, for most vaccines it’s the same dose no matter what your size is,” he said.

I thought it quite sad that the campaign against the U.K. regarding vaccine procurement hit a now low yesterday. On France Info there was the most biased and critical disinformation regarding vaccine supply. The beauty of it was is that it was accurate but unfortunately nothing like the whole truth. That France is a shambles regarding vaccination ,I suppose, then the blame has to be deflected. The travesty is that it is the media doing it. I can understand the government giving out misinformation but in my naive way would have hoped the media would report accurately.