We don't want your stinkin' rules & we don't care who we infect

Lori

Sadly, this comes as no surprise to me.  We see gatherings where we live too; unmasked, no distancing.  So far, not into the thousands yet.

Our town also has a mask requirement in all public areas, interior and exterior.  At this point, most days we see around a 50/50 masked/unmasked adult population.  Never any enforcement of anything.  I suspect we will be seeing more and more of this type of thing.  Many people just do not care and have no intention of following any health protocol / rules.

https://france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr/auvergne-rhone-alpes/ardeche/coronavirus-2-000-personnes-dans-un-rassemblement-revendicatif-cree-la-polemique-en-ardeche-2013754.html

https://www.europe1.fr/societe/video-marseille-6500-personnes-font-fi-des-restrictions-anti-covid-pour-un-carnaval-4033022

I keep wondering what should be done to non mask wearers and also the likes of medical staff or care home workers who refuse the vaccine.

It isn't as if I am not for human rights, but it would seem that the this is all xxxxed up these days.

Seems like 'my right' means that 'you' lose your right to good health because I don't care if I infect you. AND I will expect 'you and society' to look after me, if I get ill and have refused the vaccine! Because 'my right to free choice overrides 'you and yours''

So how do we go about dealing with this. At least in the UK we no longer have the EU Court to deal with, I hope, because they seem to live in cloud cuckoo land when good sense says otherwise.

In fact justice in general sometimes seems completely skewed towards the perp and never the victim.

So what should we do?

The answer is that we can do nothing.Only the authorities can do something.

Personally I would like to see the onus put on shops, airlines etc. If someone doesn't have a mask or the required paperwork then they don't get served. Fines for shops that do serve people without the required health protection.

I favour the U.K. approach regarding possible requirements before you can buy a pint of beer and maybe other things. Just why should people be allowed to put others at health risk? There are hundreds of examples where we are governed or restricted so that others can be protected. Human rights!!! Sorry I just don't see it! Left wing nonsense.

My wife and I often discuss this. A few reasons why people are acting like they do.

For some people, it's easier to justify why they're going about their lives as if the coronavirus pandemic didn't exist than stay at home alone and risk boredom and cabin fever.

Guidelines that vary from location to location are “confusing and make it less likely that people will practice social distancing,”

Experience is the most brutal teacher. If you know someone who’s come down with COVID-19 or passed away from it, or if you are close to someone who is directly facing the virus—front line workers, essential workers—you're more likely to adhere to the guidelines...whereas others might not grasp the need.

It’s a challenge to present terrifying facts to the public. “Research has shown that if you create behavioural change campaigns that offer too grim of a picture, people won’t change their behaviours at all and will just shut it off and ignore it,” Ads in the 1990s that “tried to equate not using condoms to immediate contraction of HIV and eventual death, ended up not changing any consumers’ behaviours, because it was so severe people tuned it out.”

It is possible the act of going out into the world, throwing a party, or running around an otherwise empty city makes people feel strong and alive; it’s a thrill to defy authority and defy the consequences. Defying guidance makes people feel in control of their lives.

Not my ideas, but think they go someway to helping those of us who are acting sensibly why others do not.

Over policing will just make things worse. How do you punish people who have nothing?

Looks like France will surpass Russia in the next few days to be the 4th worst case load country in the world.

I also read this morning that the EU exported more vaccines than it kept (and the USA and UK received a portion of these exports). I have no idea how true all this is.  If the UK and USA are going to play dirty pool and deny vaccine ingredients to the EU if the EU reduces their vaccine exports in an effort to increase their own vaccinations, well then I guess we have proceeded to weaponize the vaccine. 

https://www.bfmtv.com/economie/entreprises/industries/vaccin-anti-covid-depuis-decembre-l-europe-a-exporte-77-millions-de-doses-vers-33-pays_AN-202103250363.html

I haven't read that France will surpass Russia in that area but I'm not surprised given the messing about that's going on here. I still expect a total lockdown in the coming weeks!

I doubt very much that the US and the U.K. would play dirty at all regarding vaccine ingredients to the E.U. The moral high ground is extremely important and the E.U. has shown itself to be down in the gutter regarding morality.

The U.K. hasn't refused to export anything and I think there is a little confusion regarding the U.S. The E.U. asked the U.S. for some vaccine and it refused. Splitting hairs perhaps but it was a refusal for vaccine and not a statement that they will refuse to export as in the same way the E.U. is trying to organise a block.

I have every confidence in the morality of the U.K. and the U.S., at least regarding vaccine!

I think the US refused the Johnson and Johnson vaccine but are now supplying some.

If the Press is correct the EU is hoarding 41,000,000 doses, though these could be for the second dose programme I suppose.

Whichever, I doubt the UK has played dirty but has been more successful in its strategy of giving a single dose to the whole population rather than the EU way. In fact the UK second dose programme is not far off the EU one.

Just watch the US go now as they are racing ahead in numbers dosed.

On the Worldometer site, France overtook the UK in Covid-19 cases this week and is now in 4th place after Russia.

France is only about 75,000 cases behind Russia and at the current rate of new cases in both of those countries it shouldn’t take very long before France overtakes Russia.

That doesn’t take into account France’s new cases today as it hasn’t yet reported, but does include Russia’s.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

I do also follow https://www.santepubliquefrance.fr/dossiers/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-chiffres-cles-et-evolution-de-la-covid-19-en-france-et-dans-le-monde,

but find the Worldometer site much more comprehensive.

My personal belief is that Macron is so wrapped up in his dislike of the U.K and Brexit, let alone the vaccine success that he has become almost deranged in his pursuit to hurt the U.K.

I think he is well prepared to let people die and his excuse, E.U. solidarity. Even Merkel isn't that bad and other E.U. leaders have not gone along with him.

[quote user="Lori"]
Sadly, this comes as no surprise to me.  We see gatherings where we live too; unmasked, no distancing.  So far, not into the thousands yet. [/quote]

THIS article goes some way to summarizing a certain Napoleon wannabe and mentions what Lori has been stating all along. 

Yes, this joke of a confinement is really just a 19h00 curfew with no meaningful enforcement. 

It is clearly hard to protect some people from themselves, but short of the first true confinement, I have not seen the French government do anything logical to slow this pandemic down. 

What they have done convinced me long ago that they are not interested in shutting down the country (like the first confinement) even though this would clearly slow the Pandemic and save hundreds of lives.  It appears to be financially driven, but I could be wrong as there is no real rhyme or reason as a huge amount of businesses remain unable to open.

We had been hovering in the 20,000 range of new daily cases.  Now, we seem to have skipped the 30,000 range and jumped straight into the 40,000 new daily cases range.  Quickly catching up to the USA !

And this.  Begging for some leadership NOW.  This is the department we will likely move to.  The same department where we lived for 14 years.  Same story decrying the lack of leadership.

https://www.ledauphine.com/politique/2021/03/27/covid-dans-les-ecoles-du-vaucluse-prenez-une-decision-reclame-le-senateur-jean-baptiste-blanc

L'empereur Macron will be on T.V., possibly tonight and I think his speech should be something like this:

Mes chers compatriotes, je suis vraiment désolé que beaucoup d'autres personnes meurent à cause de mon inaction, mais il est important que les Européens fassent preuve de solidarité. C'est aussi la faute des Britanniques bien sûr pour le Brexit et ça m'énerve vraiment !

J'ai parlé avec Mutti et UVL et ils sont d'accord avec moi pour dire que les Britanniques doivent vraiment être punis mais malheureusement, en ce moment, les Britanniques nous font passer pour des idiots ! Donc, il faut que plus d'européens meurent car on ne peut pas nous voir céder et dire que les Britanniques avaient raison.

Cue the Marseilles , Da da da da da da da da da de

I'm sick of seeing Macron, Merkel and even Johnson castigated for whatever actions they (or don't) take currently. Criticise the EUs vaccine purchase program or the rollout, sure (and I'd also criticise AZ for selling the same vaccine production several times over)  but I'm not going to whine about < insert politician of choice > delaying lockdowns or whatever when I believe I need to take responsibility for my own behaviours.

A year on from this being declared a pandemic, anyone with a functioning brain knows what we need to do to stay safe until we are vaccinated - and afterwards. I do not want A Leader to be forced to tell us once again that another lockdown / curfew / whatever is necessary because there are still too many idiots who believe it is their right to behave in a way that continues to spread this bloody disease. If it's a sunny spring day and you arrive at a beach or a national park and the place is already packed, don't join the masses, just exercise some restraint and go home. It's really not difficult to figure out.

Politicians - governments - should now be focussing on what happens this time next year - booster vaccinations? A new type of longer-lasting vaccine? Better, early treatments for those who can't be vaccinated. An international scientific task force to rapidly identify variants and how to modify vaccines quickly to fight them. Routes to safely start up economies again. That's what should be the focus now.

I agree with you completely that people need to take responsibility for their behaviour. I certainly avoid crowds whenever possible and take all and any precautions to avoid catching this disease.

Where I do disagree with you is in the area of general responsibility. Quite obviously, as you have pointed out, there are too many idiots who don't care about others and take very little personal responsibility for spreading the disease. But how to deal with them?

The only people who can are the heads of State, Macron, Merkel and Johnson. They are the only people who can force the idiots to behave in a way that doesn't affect others, you can't and neither can I. If they don't act sufficiently strongly enough, as I believe is the case in France then the only person to blame is the President, he makes the decisions. I'm afraid someone does have to take responsibility for Governmental decisions and that is the leader!

I also feel sure that work is underway regarding vaccinations and development for future treatments. It would be negligent not to do so.