Death figures from Covid

I read yesterday that in India they are now unable to say exactly how many people are dying of Covid, they cannot keep up with the numbers.

I was wondering how other countries dealt with what they considered 'covid' deaths.

I do know a few weeks ago, that deaths in the UK for the first time in about a year had more deaths from other than Covid.

Anyone any idea if those figures we see are correct, or just about correct?

Nothing is totally accurate in these counts, doudoune. Who knows if someone who died of X actually had an underlying Y problem? The main th8ng is that the precovid numbers become the post covid numbers or better as quickly as possible though worldwide that seems a forlorn hope at the moment

For what it's worth: a friend with a family member doctoring on the outskirts of Paris said mid-last year that Paris was labelling alsmost every death a Covid death because it gave them extra payouts / subvention / whatevers so a death recorded from Covid was of direct financial benefit to the hospital.

When I registered my mother's death in the UK last November, she died from a combination of causes, the main one being 96 years of age. However, various of those causes were typical of Covid. The registrar asked me several times if I was sure that she'd not had Covid too because (she eventually explained) there was felt to be under-reporting of Covid as a cause of death / contributory cause.

I doubt any country's figures can be totally accurate but in places like Brazil and particularly India currently, I can believe the cases / deaths are much higher than are being reported. Horrifying.

I read yesterday that in India they are now unable to say exactly

how many people are dying of Covid, they cannot keep up with the

numbers.

I was wondering how other countries dealt with what they considered 'covid' deaths.

I do know a few weeks ago, that deaths in the UK for the first time in about a year had more deaths from other than Covid.

If you don't know if the figures are correct how can you say that

"

I do know a few weeks ago, that deaths in the UK for the first time in about a year had more deaths from other than Covid."

Either there is an inconsistency here or you are placing blind faith in statistics just because they are from a UK source.

This article gives some insight into the problems of trying to give accurate figures  (the detail are out of date, but  the issues remain the same)

[quote user="idun"]
I read yesterday that in India they are now unable to say exactly how many people are dying of Covid, they cannot keep up with the numbers.

[/quote]
The information you are asking about is readily available online so there was no need to ask your question.

That's one site of many. I seem to recall the discussion about asking questions on the forum when the answers were readily available elsewhere!

How to lie with statistics - again.  The Tous anti covid app this morning tells me that I have not been in contact with anyone .. not a surprise, the only person I saw yesterday was hubby, but also that in the whole of Occitanie (a huge area you will all understand which includes some rather large towns and cities) there were only 11 new ICU cases ... out of the how many 9000? in the whole of France .. if you believe that ..  !!!!!

If people stopped asking questions or seeking information on this forum it would cease to exist. I was always under the impression that helping people solve problems was the backbone of any forum, otherwise, why would anybody join a forum?

Countries use different ways of deciding whether deaths are caused by Covid. The UK figures within 28 days of a positive test will include a lot of non-Covid deaths whereas I think France still only counts hospital deaths?

For those countries that keep them, excess mortality is possibly a better measure. A good analysis of the issues in the calculations and figures for many countries (but not India)

https://ourworldindata.org/excess-mortality-covid

A search for

covid excess deaths "india"

will give various articles on figures for India

Anyone who simply accepts what. the media states must be an idiot! A general idea is about the best that can be ascertained. Do people just switch off their brain , I guess they do. Perhaps it is more a question of what they want to believe! The truth is what you believe it to be!!!!!!

[quote user="pomme"]Countries use different ways of deciding whether deaths are caused by Covid. The UK figures within 28 days of a positive test will include a lot of non-Covid deaths whereas I think France still only counts hospital deaths?

For those countries that keep them, excess mortality is possibly a better measure. A good analysis of the issues in the calculations and figures for many countries (but not India)

https://ourworldindata.org/excess-mortality-covid

A search for

covid excess deaths "india"

will give various articles on figures for India[/quote]

No pomme, France counts hospital deaths and then add deaths in other settings.  Eg, from memory, the recent total death toll is in the region of 104 000 of which hospital deaths are around 78 000.  The "headline" figures are usually both numbers added together already.

Nombre de dĆ©cĆØs mis Ć  jour quotidiennement pour les dĆ©cĆØs survenant Ć  lā€™hĆ“pital et chaque mardi et vendredi pour les dĆ©cĆØs survenant au sein des Ć©tablissements sociaux et mĆ©dico-sociaux. (105,419)

from https://www.santepubliquefrance.fr/dossiers/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-chiffres-cles-et-evolution-de-la-covid-19-en-france-et-dans-le-monde

So no count of deaths at home.

[quote user="NickP"]If people stopped asking questions or seeking information on this forum it would cease to exist. I was always under the impression that helping people solve problems was the backbone of any forum, otherwise, why would anybody join a forum?[/quote]

I totally agree that is exactly what a forum is all about however Idun questioned why I was asking for info on teachers UK pension on tax forms when the info was available if you search long enough on the Impot site. I note however she or a moderator has deleted the post.

[quote user="pomme"]Nombre de dĆ©cĆØs mis Ć  jour quotidiennement pour les dĆ©cĆØs survenant Ć  lā€™hĆ“pital et chaque mardi et vendredi pour les dĆ©cĆØs survenant au sein des Ć©tablissements sociaux et mĆ©dico-sociaux. (105,419)

from https://www.santepubliquefrance.fr/dossiers/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-chiffres-cles-et-evolution-de-la-covid-19-en-france-et-dans-le-monde

So no count of deaths at home.[/quote]

Yes, pomme, I see what you mean.  For some reason, I have always taken the higher figure to take in everyone else who didn't die in hospital!

So now we really haven't the foggiest how many have died and where.....[:(]

There is an article in the FT today "Global death toll from Covid more than double official number, study finds" (behind a paywall?) which includes:

Academics at the University of Washington estimated 6.9m people had lost their lives to coronavirus, much higher than the 3.2m total recorded by the World Health Organization.

This is the origin of that report

http://www.healthdata.org/special-analysis/estimation-excess-mortality-due-covid-19-and-scalars-reported-covid-19-deaths

It includes

United Kingdom

Total COVID-19 deaths 209,661

Reported COVID-19 deaths 150,519

and

France

Total COVID-19 deaths 132,680

Reported COVID-19 deaths 105,506

Lots of other statistics and predictions e.g.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-kingdom?view=cumulative-deaths&tab=trend

and

https://covid19.healthdata.org/france?view=cumulative-deaths&tab=trend