Sending big parcel(s) abroad

Ian

I have a load of family "heirlooms" in my grenier. I'd like to send these to my children - daughter in the US, son in Sweden.

The parcels will probably be heavy (15-20Kg?) and big (1M x 0.5M x 0.5M?).

First question is, who could ship them economically? I'm guessing that the likes of UPS would be VERY expensive. There's no urgency.

Second question is, what to use as containers? I'm thinking along the lines of cardboard boxes, lots of bubblewrap inside, lots of gaffer tape outside. However these, while strong, would not necessarily be rigid. Maybe big plastic storage chests would be better?

Any advice will be very welcome.

Cheers

[quote user="Ian"]

First question is, who could ship them economically? I'm guessing that the likes of UPS would be VERY expensive. There's no urgency.[/quote]

You haven't stated what you would define as economical.

THIS is a search engine that will display quotes once you have entered all the relevant information.

My instinctive reaction is the ‘post paid’ boxes that they do at the Post Office.

Not sure what the biggest size is, but I used one to send some boots to our son - the box size was about 50cms x 20 x 10. Obviously not as big as you’ve suggested, but several of those? There’ll undoubtedly a weight limit. My recollection of the cost was that it was €15 ish, but you could look it up on La Poste website.

Those boxes are very sturdy. Just an option to consider vs the UPS / DHL carriers.

OK, I've had a good look at the options.

@cajal: This site quotes me €130 for 15Kg via DHL (collected). There is a cheaper option via ParcelMonkey, but since I don't know them, I'd probably stick with DHL

@nomoss: Ecoparcel won't quote me for anything outside the EC.

@Gardian. Good idea to break it down into smaller parcels. La Poste website is very complicated, but as far as I can tell, I can buy a pre-paid box for up to 7Kg for €69.

So, for 15Kg it's about the same price for DHL and La Poste. I guess it depends on what I want so send and how big it is. I must start opening all the cardboard boxes

Thanks for all the help.

Cheers

[quote user="Ian"]  ...................... @nomoss: Ecoparcel won't quote me for anything outside the EC. ........................................[/quote]

By the EC do you mean the EU?

You said you wanted to ship to Sweden, which is in the EU, and I have used them to ship to family in both Denmark and Sweden.

EDIT: I didn't notice you said to the US as well.[:$]