Marseille: violent crime

NormanH

It's a pity all the public spirited citizens - some not even French - who protest about Covid passes don't think it worth trying to do something about violent crime in Marseille and many other cities, isn't it.

Maybe not a soft enough target for them?

nomoss wrote:

"It's a pity all the public-spirited citizens - some not even French - who protest about Covid passes don't think it worth trying to do something about violent crime in Marseille and many other cities, isn't it?"

Forgive me for being naive but who are these people?

[quote user="NickP"]nomoss wrote:

"It's a pity all the public-spirited citizens - some not even French - who protest about Covid passes don't think it worth trying to do something about violent crime in Marseille and many other cities, isn't it?"

Forgive me for being naive but who are these people?[/quote]

You do seem to be naïve, and don't really keep up with what's going on.
Maybe you should have stayed in cosy Weybridge.

Just to update you, look at :-

[quote user="NickP"]Why can't you reply to a perfectly genuine question without snide comments?[/quote]

I usually ignore you, as I ignore troublesome insects, and your own snide remarks in the past.

Get off your high horse, to quote one of them.

[quote user="NickP"]Do me a favour then and ignore me forever more, Anybody whose life is so empty that they keep past quotes from a forum is very sad.[/quote]

With the utmost pleasure.

I simply recalled the insulting way you replied to myself and another member, I believe it was Eurotrash, when we tried to offer advice on your last minute attempts to fiddle a residence permit.

My feelings towards you in the future are that I wouldn't p*ss on you if you were on fire [:D]

Have a nice day.

May 2019 we booked a flat in Marseille, near the Plage des Catalans. We had a great time, walking everywhere and taking the public transport, buses and the tiny metro. From the top of Notre Dame de la Garde we could see the massive cities in the North. Tried to get as near them as possible on public transport (in the middle of the day). We got off the last bus stop and were greeted with scooters doing the old rodeo on the pavements, between the bus stops. We got back on the next bus. Other than than we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Shame if the centre has gone the same way now Later the same year on the way to Corsica on the motor bike we met a policeman who had worked in Marseille for 26 years. He never went back to the city centre if he could help it.

I stayed in a very 'mixed' bit (Noailles) in the heatwave of 2003, but was carted off with a DVT and pulmonary embolisme to La Timone, from the 9th floor of which we had a great view of Notre Dame. It was a bit spoiled by the fact that the air-conditioniong was only working in lower floor where the operating theatre is, so we were all sweating so much that the sticking plaster intended to keep the drip in place wouldn't hold..[:-))]

I've visited multiple times, staying in various areas of the centre ville.  Always enjoyed the visits, however we did see some areas that looked less than appealing and I certainly read the news.

The entire family had to renew our passports in Marseille, so that brought us there several times over.  The city has always had a grit to certain areas.

I haven't been back since around 2010, so I'm sure things have changed.  I always like the city though.

[quote user="anotherbanana"]Please, people, be nice to each othe r, or I shall assume you are all albf in disguise!?[/quote]

I need to protest on behalf of ALBF....nowt wrong with him in MINUTE doses[:D]  One thing I'd say for ALBF though, he never takes derogatory remarks personally.

Allez ALBF, what latest ridiculous and ill-thought through project have you been planning for long-suffering Mme ALBF and les petits ALBFs?[:P]

Yes, banane. For me, the ALBF ‘persona’ is one that he has chosen to adopt. He’s the one having a little chuckle to himself over the reaction generated by his frequently daft assertions.

I’ve met a few like him in my time and they always knew what they were doing and saying. Sometimes they were horrible people, but I suspect that he’d be quite good company over dinner.

Anyway ......... just a smidge of thread drift !

Re Marseille. For me OK, but there are plenty of other places that I’d rush back to.