the next president of France?

mint

I was worried watching all the people milling around Macron today in Marseille.  He was taking his mask off at times and people were shouting and wanting to take selfies with him and the noise was simply deafening.

I thought it looked like a very dangerous thing for him to be doing, being so near people, wouldn't take much for someone to have bumped him off.

Barnier (yesterday, I think) said that if he’s elected, he will propose a referendum on a “constitutional shield” to disregard European law and rulings in order to regain “our freedom of maneuver and interpretation” — which he said was needed to control immigration. He was speaking at a Les Républicains event in Nîmes. A Républicains Twitter account then tweeted the quote, which Barnier himself subsequently retweeted.

https://www.msn.com/fr-fr/actualite/monde/stup%C3%A9faction-%C3%A0-paris-et-bruxelles-apr%C3%A8s-les-critiques-de-barnier-contre-la-justice-europ%C3%A9enne/ar-AAOiCr0

Victor Meldrew must be spluttering in his grave.

Nothing unusual at all about a potential candidate saying any old thing and promising the sky if they think that might get them votes.

Just look at the present British government.  Does anyone seriously believe anything that is spouted, INCLUDING manifesto promises being kept?[6]

Oh Mr Barnier what shall we do?

Barnier — who late last month announced he wanted to be the conservative candidate in next year's French presidential election — on Thursday caused a media firestorm after reportedly calling for "a referendum on the question of immigration" and saying France must regain its "legal sovereignty in order to no longer be subject to the judgments" of the Court of Justice of the European Union and the European Court of Human Rights.