1st time visit: paris-normandy-burgundy possible?

Denise

My husband and I are planning to visit France for the first time in September.

Our neccessities in this trip are: good food, good wine, beautiful architecture (chateaux, churches) and just plain beautiful countryside/landscape.

We figure we'd fly into Paris, stay about 3 nights (i realize it's not nearly enough...for the Louvre itself!), and then travel to Normandy for a couple of nights to see the beaches and experice the villages, and then down to Burgundy for the food and wine.

I'm not sure of the travel times in between the 3 areas. Is it do-able in a 10 day span?

Knowing what we want, do you have other suggestions? We were looking at the Dordogne region in lieu of Burgundy, but felt it may be too far south.

Any advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Denise

Too optimistic I think. You may be able to do 2 of the 3 but not all of them, the problem is that France is much bigger than the UK and you would use up most of a day travelling from one place to another, trying to see everything but really seeing nothing.  Paris and Normandy yes, save Burgundy for another trip.

Whatever you decide, have a great holiday.

Thanks for the advice.

I figured it may be too much-and that's fine. We can save Normandy for another trip. At this time, we're more interested in the Burgundy area.

Perhaps we could do Paris/Burgundy/Loire this trip!

I think we may have FINALLY narrowed it down! It was so difficult to choose where to go since we've never been to France before. There are just too many choices.

thanks for your help,
Denise

You can do Paris to Burgundy in about 1.5 hours by TGV.  However, I would advise hiring a car if you want to look around since Burgundy's about the size of Wales!  You can hire cars at most TGV stations.

I would think you are better off planning a two destination holiday and making a list of the things you really want to see badly.

Val

This may be your first trip, but you can bet it won't be your last! I had passed through France many times in my 47 years, but never really stopped, then in early '04 I visited the Dordogne and by November the same year, I was living here.

What about Paris then Dijon with all its lovely architecture, restaurants and market, Beaune for it's fine wines and spectacular Hospice etc and then, a lovely b&b down in the countryside in South East Burgundy.

Regards,

Catherine [:)]

• 2 weeks later...

Good try Cat!!!

If you've never been to France before then I should stick to two centres.  Trying to do too much you will miss SOOO much.  Not only are there the towns like Dijon and Beaune to see but there are also wonderful wine trails to follow.  We did a similar holiday in 1997 (JUST Burgundy) and didn't get to see half of what we wanted.  Start in Chablis and work your way south.  It's a wonderful trip.

Thanks for all the recommendations.

After a bit of research, I've narrowed it down to the following itinerary:

Fly into Paris- immediately rent car and drive down to Loire. Stay in Amboise for 3 nights (at http://www.manoirlesminimes.com).

Then off to Beaune for another 3 nights at Hotel le Cep

Finally, up to Paris for 3 nights. Of course, we'll drop the car off at the airport once we get into Paris and then be car-free for those last 3 nights  (Hotel Mansart: esprit-de-france.com).

Now I just need to figure out car rentals. I cannot wait to go to france, although I'm trying not to think TOO much about it since I don't want to rush away my summer. But I can't help it! August 29th is not far off!