Walking holiday in Provence

LesNorthWales

My wife and myself are hoping to take a walking holiday in Provence later in the year. Our nearest and most convenient airport is Liverpool, where we can get Ryanair flights to Nimes. So, ideally, we would like to find a B&B or small hotel in good walking country, which is within reasonable travelling distance of Nimes airport. Can anybody recommend anywhere, or indeed, is there anyone who runs such an establishment who could supply us with details ? 

LNW .........

Without wishing to be 'picky', do you mean east of the Rhone in to the Vaucluse etc?  The reason I ask is that people here in the eastern Gard think of themselves as being in Provence.  Some guidebooks seem to agree, others reckon the 'border' is the Rhone.

If this sort of area interests you, I can pm you details of a variety of accommodation because we've had to research it recently for guests attending our son's wedding in the Summer.

By the way, you say "later in the year": I hope you mean after August.  If not, you'll fry! 

• 1 month later...
We used these guys last year for a walking tour in Languedoc and it seems they cover Provence too.  I'm not sure if they book hotels only, but I think they'll be happy to point you in the right direction.

http://enlightened-traveller.co.uk/

[quote user="Gardian"]

LNW .........

Without wishing to be 'picky', do you mean east of the Rhone in to the Vaucluse etc?  The reason I ask is that people here in the eastern Gard think of themselves as being in Provence.  Some guidebooks seem to agree, others reckon the 'border' is the Rhone.

If this sort of area interests you, I can pm you details of a variety of accommodation because we've had to research it recently for guests attending our son's wedding in the Summer.

By the way, you say "later in the year": I hope you mean after August.  If not, you'll fry! 

[/quote]

Gardian, people in eastern Gard may think they are in provence..............but they ain't[:D] The Gard has some super areas for walking, specially the cevennes but it isn't provence.....and many locals would be in uproar if you suggested the Gard was provence. Provence (as a region) starts just over the Rhone in the vaucluse. For the original poster, I would suggest you search Avignon for your first stop off point...less than an hour from Nimes...........historical town, (palais des papes) lively, good resto's etc. Good base for exploring Provence......but also a good spring board to go furher into provence, ie: the 'luberon', Cote d'azur etc. For example, Marseille is just over an hours drive from Avignon............next to Marseille you have the 'callainques', little rocky bays...........azur blue water and good walking and for swimming. The Cote d'azur is a maximum 3 hours drive from Avignon.(out of tourist season)...........St Trop, St Raphael etc. You also have the culture, Aix en provence...........Cezanne.............Arles.........Van Gogh/gauguin..........L'Estaque........Matisse, Dufy, Braques...............obviously my culture is art.........but there's lots lots more.

[quote user="Gardian"]

LNW .........

Without wishing to be 'picky', do you mean east of the Rhone in to the Vaucluse etc?  The reason I ask is that people here in the eastern Gard think of themselves as being in Provence.

[/quote]

I used your quote, guardian[blink] I didn't change it..........................and it is not 'superior knowledge' as you suggest...............just a matter of regional boundaries ie: the Gard is in: Languedoc-rousillon........................the Vaucluse is in: Provence-alpes- Côtes d'azur, simple as that......[geek]

Artsole ..............

Thanks for the geography lesson.  Extremely valuable: would never have known that without you telling me, despite having lived here for a while.

You might care to write to the Michelin organisation telling them that they are wrong and you are right over the Provencal borders - their Green Guide is clear-cut (westernmost border to roughly 15kms from Ales) .  Perhaps you're better informed than they are.

The truth is that the borders have varied since Roman times (as far as Narbonne then) and contemporary views vary.  The eastern boundaries are equally vague.

It might surprise you to learn that I don't think of myself as living in Provence, here to the west of the Rhone. This is an area a bit 'twixt & between' the Midi and Provence.  The point that I originally made (in order to try to help the OP) was that this general area is often thought of as Provence by some locals around here (by no means all) and by many Brits unfamiliar with area.

Anyway - can't be bothered to quarrel with you any more over this. Let's call it quits. Great England win tonight, so will milk it tomorrow in our (slightly Provencal) village.