Arcachon

DavidHicks

[quote user="daisymay"]

I don't think cheap and Arcachon can be used in the same sentance.

[/quote]

From what I had already seen I was amazed at some of the high prices being offered at some places. Anyway, thanks for the info everyone.

We stayed in the Grand Hotel Richelieu in Arcachon in June this year. The room was OK and had a decent bathroom, but was nowhere near as grand as the pretentious reception area would have had you believe. I suppose the rooms with a sea view were better - they were certainly more expensive.

We arrived in late afternoon without a booking and the price offered came down when we seemed to hesitate; we eventually paid 75E per night for a double room. Breakfast was in a cramped dining room and was 8.50E each.

It was very close to the beach though.

Arcachon may be expensive, but it certainly seems very popular. When we tried to book for a family of five in two rooms for August we couldn't find any vacancies at all.

Other hotels which I noticed with more or less immediate access to beach were the Hotel Trianon and the  Park Inn Hotel.  I envy you. I thought Arcachon was a lovely place and there was lots to see and do in the area.

Best of luck.

Hoddy

• 1 month later...

Thanks for your information Hoddy. I think I have come up with a good plan for this. I plan on flying to Bordeaux Airport, and there are a few cheap hotels around there where I could stay, then (as I am only going down for the one day) get the train from Bordeaux to Arcachon. However I am not sure when I will do this, I planned on October and fly out with BMI Baby (as they stop Manchester/Birmignham-Bordeaux servies after than) but I don't think I will be able to go then and might have to go next year. When is the best time to go for good weather, what is it like in the Spring?

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

David -

I hope you have made your plans for Bordeaux/Arcachon this year.  I went 4 years ago and had a great time.  I've visited Bordeaux a few times - lovely city, but decided on this occasion to build in a few days by the sea in Arcachon.  I was initially driven by the desire to sample thallasotherapy and so booked into a rather mundane chain hotel near the thallasotherapy entre.  But there was a wee shuttle bus which I used to get into town.  I have to say that I spent less time in the thallasotherapy centre than I had first intended, because I was bowled over by the charm of the Arcachon itself and so spent more time there than I had meant to. Lovely beaches all along that bit of coast,and near my hotel, but the one in town was lovely!  Very clean, and nice wide sands.  Plenty of space for everyone.  Nice pier, too.  Arcachon is quite an old fashioned place - a bit like a UK Fifties resort, but wonderful for families.  But also rather upmarket - some rather nice yachts in the harbour and bay.  If you do stay for a few days, its worth hiring a bike and cycling around the bay a bit - very picturesque.  Also the seafood restaurants were wonderful.  As far as Bordeaux is concerned, I'll be back again this summer for the wine festival in June!