Lyon

newbiee

I'm considering a short break to Lyon ... never been, don't know much about it.

If you've been and have any recommendations, please let me know ... hotel (inexpensive), places to visit, places to eat etc.

Thanks[:)]

My recommendation would be to get a map from the tourist office and walk the Traboules. A fascinating series of passages connecting the old streets and courtyards. In former times the traboules were used by the silk workers and in WW2 they were used by members of the resistance.

Don't take a car, the traffic is terrible, but the transport system is fantastic, speedy, clean and efficient.  Get a day pass. 

Don't visit the traboules in the Vieux Lyon area, but go to the Croix Rousse ones instead. This is still a working class are and there are some fantastic places to look out for in this area.  But walk up the hill, don't take the metro because there is absolutely tons to see.  Get a map and walk up la montée de la Grande Cote, take rue Neyret on your left and go and look at the amazing unfinished church.  Keep going to the impasse des Chartreux and look at the wonderful Church of St Bruno.  Then continue up to the top of the hill coming out on the Boulevard of the Croix Rousse.  Walk to the end, Rhone side (so east) and have a look over the city, it's a lovely view if they have finished building the underground car park.  The brasseries on the boulevard are fine, the Vera Cruz on rue Godard is very nice if you like Mexican, a five minute walk. 

The big tourist attractions in Lyon are the basilica, worth a look, and the nearby Roman amphitheatre, which has a reasonable museaum attatched to it.  Avoid the restaurants in the area immediately underneath these two sites in the Vieux Lyon, they are overpriced and not great.  Also touristy, but frequented by Lyonnais, is the rue Merciere on the presqu'île, the middle bit.  There are some reasonable restaurants here.  Lyon also has a great China town, or more accurately Vietnam town, where there are some great places to eat.  It is is the 7eme arronidissement, one of the best and cheapest is la Jonque d'Or, rue Pasteur. 

Another very attractive aspect to Lyon is the painted walls they have everywhere.  I think the best one is the one showing books, which is opposite the bridge that leads to St George station and is on the presqu'île.  There is another good one near to this going north of famous Lyonnais. 

For hotels, I don't really know, because I used to live there, so hotels were not an issue.  Avoid around the Perrache area, especially to the south.  Anything around the Part Dieu station will be safe enough, and the transport of course is great.  Also, I think there are quite alot around the place de Charpennes, which is just in Villeurbanne (like a suburb, but it is actually a town) so could be overlooked, but should be cheap. 

You can now walk along the banks of the Rhône 6ème side, which has been recently done and is quite nice.

I agree with Tourangelle - don't drive if you can avoid it. Get a day ticket for the metro. We spent a couple of days there last September and we stayed at the Campanile Gare Part Dieu which, as its name suggests, is beside the main railway station and close to the metro. It's what you would expect for a Campanile - simple, clean, cheap. The city bus tour is good value. It starts at the S side of the big square whose name escapes me. Don't go if you're a vegetarian!