Travel Insurance for France

MarieCeleste

We have a house in Provence, which we visit 3 times a year. The longest visit is for 10 weeks, but, as we are both over 60, though fit & active, despite pre-existing medical conditions, it is getting more & more difficult to find an annual policy which will cover us for this length of time. We cannot be alone in needing cover in the event of a major illness (hospital care, repatriation, etc.), and are happy to use our European Health Card for minor problems. Has anyone else had similar problems, and can recommend an insurance firm that will provide cover to us wrinklies? I would be grateful for any ideas.

We have an annual policy with the Caravan Club; you can buy the basic 31 days, or pay more for longer stays. We pay for 66 days at present (that is for each trip), but might change to a long stay policy.

You obviously have to pay the membership fee, but don't have to take a caravan with you.

They are very good in case of problems abroad, but not the cheapest.

Another that friends use is Saga; again, not cheap, but long stays are no problem.

Jo

Edit: as regards medical history, my husband had a heart attack 16 months ago, also a stent inserted; after 3 months he was accepted with full cover.

You could come at this another way and maybe look at a top-up policy which you can switch on and off at will.  Exlusive Healthcare do a policy like this, which you just activate when you're here and "switch off" when you go back home.  Not cheap but more belt and braces than travel insurance.

I use Exclusive for my top-up and so far have no complaints (and I've been in hospital for nearly seven months so I know all about claiming!)

That was very helpful, Jo.

I went to the Saga website, which is excellent, and got sorted very easily. Can't think why I didn't try them before.....!

Thank you all for your suggestions - it's wonderful to know that such helpful people are out there.

MarieCeleste[:D]