Dordogne to Italy

Rose

Hello seasoned travellers [:)]

We're planning a trip to Italy in our

little campervan.  I thought it would be good of we could do a bit of a circular trip to

take in different places on each leg of the journey.  We're aiming to go to the

Italian Lakes and then, after a couple of days, head down to the Venetian coast

for a few more days... then start heading back to France.... We've got about 2

weeks for the trip.

As we're moving into very unexplored territory for us, can anyone suggest places that we should include in our itinerary... suggested

driving routes... best way to get from France into Italy... any local knowledge

would be great or first hand experiences welcome.

We've got 6 months to

plan this so we've got loads of time... and thought what better place to start

that here.

many thanks

p.s. greyman would like to drive over the

Millau bridge but not sure if this will take us too far out of our way [8-)]

Rose. Not sure if you have a GPS, but I have a GPS file that I use in our camping car GPS that shows all of the sites, including municipal ones, for the whole of Europe. You can also use it for planning a trip on Google Earth before you set off. Send me a PM with a phone number if you want it.

We are also planning the same trip for this year.

The bridge is well worth a trip we're near Pezenas , if you like a bit of history its lovely place to look round, some good wines in the vicinity too . Our guests love going to St Guillam le Desert as its not too far from the bridge also the cheese caves at Roquefort. From there you can head off to taste oysters in Bouzigues , Montpellier if you have time and go on to Pont Du Gard, Arles Nimes etc for the Roman ruins. Can give you loads more details if you're interested.

Garda is beautiful, also Bardolino.  Definitely agree Verona well worth a visit, not just for the Opera but also the city.  Venice? Did it once, ticked it off my list, probably won't bother again.  If you get the opportunity to visit as far down as Florence I would say a definite YES to visiting there.  It knocks Venice and Rome into a cocked hat.

Have a fab time.

Suey

[quote user="Rose"]

Hello seasoned travellers [:)]

We're planning a trip to Italy in our little campervan.  I thought it would be good of we could do a bit of a circular trip to take in different places on each leg of the journey.  We're aiming to go to the Italian Lakes and then, after a couple of days, head down to the Venetian coast for a few more days... then start heading back to France.... We've got about 2 weeks for the trip.

As we're moving into very unexplored territory for us, can anyone suggest places that we should include in our itinerary... suggested driving routes... best way to get from France into Italy... any local knowledge would be great or first hand experiences welcome.

We've got 6 months to plan this so we've got loads of time... and thought what better place to start that here.

many thanks

p.s. greyman would like to drive over the Millau bridge but not sure if this will take us too far out of our way [8-)]

[/quote]

The planning part is almost as fun in my opinion.[:D]

We did a tour in our car staying at different hotels from Dordogne but we wanted to stay in Switzerland along the way. We drove through Clermont Ferrand, Lyon and then staying in Annecy (gorgeous). This may be a good route for you if you want to go to the lakes and then work your way down. We went north through Switzerland and then down to Milan, Verona and then up to the lakes. We did this two years ago for a special birthday. It was wonderful.

The only bad thing was that I had wanted to see Milan as well but because of a villain slashing our tyre and then trying to pull us over we didn't stay long. In fact we left immediately. [:(] We have been told it is a very common occurrence in Milan particularly with foreigners, so beware.

If you do decide to go to Verona which I second, it is wonderful and then work your way up to the lakes I would recommend a stop in Bergamo. We just drove though on the way to the lakes and only had lunch but a really beautiful small town.

We stayed in Bellagio which again I think is a stunning village on lake Como (the prettiest lake in my opinion) and was a good base to explore the surrounding very beautiful area.

Having said all of that if you haven't been to Rome or Venice then it is a different story. I adore Rome and really want to go back one day. Do let us know what your plans are so that we can live vicariously. [:D]

• 3 weeks later...
oh blimey - I'm very sorry for not coming back sooner and thanking you for all your lovely suggestions!

We've had a little change of plan over the last week or so - we're still planning to go to Italy but we're now thinking of heading down to Florence, then Pisa and then along the coast to Antibes, and heading back homewards via the Milau Bridge.

Greyman has been very busy planning the route and where we can stop... I think we head off towards Lyon from the Dordogne, drive through the alps and head down to Florence... very roughly [8-)]

Having read the idea about the opera at Verona I am very tempted to change route again but I'm not sure the family would be too happy... maybe for another day?

Thank you all for the ideas... I'm still open to suggestions for places to visit and stoppever ideas, if you have any?

xx