Death insurance to cover Sous Seing to Acte Authentique period

fulcrum

I have found out today that if you don't employ an estate agent to handle the Purchase/Sale of your house then you are not entitled to the free life insurance that is put in place to cover any death, of parties to the contract, during the Sous Seing to Acte Authentique period. I guess this is another potential pitfall associated with dealing directly through a notaire.

Does anyone know of this.

Ron

There is a form of insurance cover that is compulsory in France to cover this period. It is free however. I was told today by my notaire that she was unable to provide the free insurance as it is only available to estate agents. My notaire isn't, as far as I know, an immobilier.

However, presumably you could pay for this insurance if you wished?  I imagine that the thing is that part of the immobilier's fee is to cover their costs for such insurance -which they probably have as statutory blanket coverage for all clients - for their own protection as much as anything.  I doubt if it would cost you much as the period of cover is relatively short.

Cooperlola

I can, and will, of course pay if I have to but am not even sure if the notaire has the insurance forms to hand. I will ask her tomorrow.

My main reason for using this particular notaire is that she speaks excellent English and I have dealt with her for a few years. However the insurance thing only became compulsory about two years ago.

I can't really help. I know that agences immobilières have professional insurances that give cover against that sort of thing. I would imagine notaires who offer houses for sale would be able to offer similar guarantees - but being France it wouldn't surprise me at all if they didn't. After all, as Cooperlola says, you pay a higher fee to an agency, so it's not unreasonable to assume you may get more in return.

It's a bit of a red herring really; death of a seller - or buyer - during a sale is going to add a lot of extra time, aggravation and paperwork to a transaction whether there is insurance cover or not.