Best holiday weather next week - Vendée or Burgundy?

tonyinfrance

We'll be looking for a gite for this coming weekend* - any suggestions for best weather in the middle of the country?

My friend in Provence tells me we have to get south of Lyon but it's a bit too far south (about 5 - 6 hours from Dieppe is our plan) so any advice appreciated.

*looking for peace & quiet, probably a bit rural.  Again, any suggestions will be welcome.......

If you like the coast then the South Vendee has a micro climate . Sunday afternoon was perfect about 28 on the beach at La Tranche Sur Mer and the water is very warm . Quieter now all the kids are in school and some restaurants have closed now but still a very nice place to be .

I've looked up the examples of Beaune and La Tranche sur Mer on France Meteo, and neither look too promising. I'd tend to go for Burgundy as I can think of more things to do which take you indoors if the weather isn't too clever - plus I love Beaune! However, forecasts can change repidly; here it was saying rain for Friday and Sunday morning; now it's no rain on either day, just some clouds! Definitely cooler than now, though!

Moulins or Vichy in northern Auvergne are just about within reach. Weather forecasts are pretty hopeless for this region but in my experience it usually turns out better than predicted.

If you do visit Moulins, the Grand Cafe in Place d'Allier for lunch - or just coffee - is a must. Wonderful tardis of a place which is easily overlooked but you feel like you have entered a classic and expensive Paris restaurant, for a fraction of the price.

[quote user="tonyinfrance"]

Many thanks for all of your comments.

I guess the weather is a bit of a gamble now wherever we go so I might take the lazy way out and look at the easiest route:  since we always use Newhaven-Dieppe I suspect the Vendée region might be the answer...

Thanks again

[/quote]

Regarding Vendee weather   :      If its overcast I often find that  the sun shines on Ile de Re its worth popping down to  the beach and looking over  to the island  . We have enjoyed many good days out in the sun on the island  when its been cloudy on the mainland  Local roads have recently been improved and it is now a short and fast drive  round to the toll bridge .

Wow, that's a turn up for the books! Do you have special plans for when you're at Carpentras? That sounds very nosy - sorry!

Yes, it's forecast to be a little cooler than the last two weeks, mid-twenties, but lots of sun to come. We went up Mont Ventoux last week, and it was just gorgeous, with the rocks blinding if the sunglasses were off for a minute. Must add, we drove - cycling's not really my thing!  [:)]

Hi Gardengirl: when we were here last in June we drove to  the top of M Ventoux:  quite a trek and I was greatly impressed by the many cyclists we saw on the way up - met a couple of English cyclists at the top who were looking forward to the ride back down the hill...

We are the unpaid slave labour for our friend here in Carpentras so it's mostly gardening and some minor house repairs for us this week.  However, we went to the main market this morning and found some quite good bargains (much different from the tourist pricing in the holiday season) and enjoyed some excellent coffee in the sunshine so all in all an excellent day.

The serious stuff starts tomorrow.........

"Local roads have recently been improved and it is now a short and fast drive  round to the toll bridge ."

Two weeks ago, the Charente-Maritime and other parts were blessed with an Indian summer. Sud-Ouest reported long traffic jams for people returning from a sunny day out on the Ile de Ré. Many spent hours sitting in traffic waiting to get back over the bridge. Apparently there were not even any accidents to blame for the delays.

Its never been a problem for me ... so far ! There has been heavy traffic on the duel carriageway that has been slow after passing the toll coming away but I turn off by the airport and go round the bay through villages . Just shows how popular the island is when the sun shines . No wonder French footballers have second home there !