First time ski in France

Bob7483

Hey,

Me and my girlfriend are planning to go skiing in the alps this winter. Not booked anything yet - i've never been before and she hasn't been for a number of years.

Anyone know a good place to go for beginners that isn't too expensive?

Thanks

I'm a 'born again skier' having rediscovered skiing after a break of many years

Loads of places to go as you probably know.  It will depend a bit on how you want to get to the slopes, if you are driving you have a lot of choice but if flying (and I guess you will be hiring skis/boots at the resort) a lot of airports will have coach companies to bus you to popular resorts at modest cost.  If you were to fly to Geneva for example (easyjet go there), you have easy transport to the Porte de Soleil area.

From my limited skiing in France I can give you my experiences.

Vosges, really nice place, snow is unreliable as it's not very high.  Lots of blue runs and not challenging red runs.  Gets a bit manic at weekends and school holidays. not very expensive

La Chatel, French/Swiss border on the edge of Porte de Soleil.  Lots of good blue runs, nice little village, access to the whole enormous P de S ski area.  Very cheap, I found an appartment which was adequate, by using the La Chatel tourist info website.  Not crowded, no waiting at ski lifts

Superdevoluy (near Gap), nice place, purpose built ski resort, a bit dated now.  I wouldn't recommed this for beginners as there are some short green/blue runs and then there's nothing unless you go on a long (several Kms) run down the mountain.  I saw more than a few beginners having big problems on these runs.

My absolute favourite place is Livigno in Italy.  All kinds of runs over a vast area and easy progressing in stages from easy blue to, well whatever you want. Very cheap too as it's in an Italian Tax-free special staus region.

Whatever destination you choose, check out the tourist info website for the resort as they usually have accommodation at good prices.

I have only been skiing outside of school holiday times which I would advise as its much cheaper and less crowded.

Also, don't forget to factor in ski passes of around €150 per person for a 6 days pass.

Good luck

Thanks Pierre,

thats some useful info. I'm slowly learning that perhaps France is not necessarily the best place to go to start out! Italy or Austria have been better recommended for beginners. I guess it depends on what deals are about too as I don't want to spend too much my first time. Ideally I'd want a ski-in ski-out place for ease... I'll keep looking! Want somewhere with good beer 'apres' too!

I would say Austria. Good apres ski, for all that 'sounds' french, it is poor in France. I would say that the Wilder Kaiser ski area would be good. http://skiingthealps.com/Default.aspx?go=Resort&ResortID=124 Elmau with it's funiculaire and Soll etc.

I lived in the French Alpes and we would still go to Austria or Switzerland for a ski holiday. I would also say that if you can avoid the school holidays then it will be a lot cheaper. January can be good, BUT it is usually very very cold. Beginning of March was our prefered time to go as at least in times gone by there would be fresh spring snow, but who knows now.

The only time I went to Swizerland to ski (2 years ago in Lauterbrunnen) it was eye-wateringly expensive.

If you're doing your own thing rather than a package trip then I would suggest the first thing is to see which airport you can fly to easily then have a look at resorts in easy reach.

Aprés ski is never an issue for me as, being of a certain age, I'm too knackered after a day's skiing to party the night away unfortunately [:(]

Andora might be worth considering, I'm told the night life is more active there and it's not expensive either

If you're hiring ski gear, have a look out for the offers that Decathlon do later in the year. It's called Skiminimum (I think) and you book your gear in advance at around 50% of the usual price.  I did this for my son's girlfriend this year and the system works well.

The good thing about La Suisse is when you take kids there to ski. Great deals on lift passes for families and hotels, but this is not the posters case.

We used to holiday regularly in Avoriaz and we would see a parent ski to the swiss side to get family passes as it was a lot lot cheaper. I do love Avoriaz. I also love Courchevel 1850 and they have IMO the very best green slope for beginners and it always has snow. There is no reason why the OP shouldn't stay further down and then catch the cabin up there and ski all day, it would be a cheaper option.

Austria is wonderful for skiing, good skiing and good ambience after;

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
check out these famous ski resorts in France - Chamonix, Brides-les-Bains, Les Deux Alpes, Vaujany, La Grave, Villard Reculas, Argentière, Champagny en Vanoise, Tignes, Méribel, Morillon, Samoëns, Saint Martin de Belleville, Luchon - Superbagnères, Pla d'Adet.

For begginers i would recommend a place called Val Thorens. There skii suns are nice and long, also very wide so its safe from crashing into people.

There are a variety of ski runs as with every area, as Val Thorens is situated in a busy area, all runs lead back down into there.

Tyler, I'm afraid I am always just a little suspicious of brand new members promoting websites.

I have removed the name and website of the company in your post, but if the original poster would like the details they will be able to PM you for them.