Travel to New Zealand

CeeJay

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks to everyone for their kind messages and very helpful information.

Yes, we are back from what I can only describe as one of the greatest adventures of my life. The whole episode was fantastic, the total frustration of not being able to sleep on both legs of the outward journey now in the past and we are both agreeing that we must go again in a few years time!! I still can't believe that such a huge plane can take off with near 400 passengers on board so smoothly!

To see the grandchildren and be part of their life for a month was fantastic and we have bonded so well, they tell me now they can say, at school, they have grandparents  just like all their friends!

North Island is so different, I am told, from South Island and not nearly so picturesque, however we did manage to visit quite a few places and was impressed with the Treaty grounds at Waitangi overlooking the Bay of Islands and enjoyed the week we had at Doubtless Bay.

I have even got a taste now for Waikato draught and Speight's Old Dark!!!!!

Forgive me for being indulgant in updating this post but I had received so many messages of support. Thank you all.

Ceejay, it's lovely to hear that you had such a good time! Is this where we all say - ''told you so!'? We had a fantastic time without having lovely family to visit, so I imagine your time there with them was the icing on the cake! Just think, next time you'll have pictures in your head already of some of those wonderful experiences, as well as your lovely family! So glad it was such a worthwhile trip!  [:)]

Glad you had a great time. It was our 4th trip in 10 years and we love it. We live extremely frugally in France. Now that we're getting older (61 & 66) we're aware that time for seeing family is increasingly precious. For this reason we save our pennies and plan to go to NZ for a few weeks each winter - while health allows. We are fortunate in that we have wonderful french neighbours and friends who come daily to feed cats and chickens and geese. Looking forward to next trip in November coming back mid-December - flights are cheaper if it is not over Christmas.

Good idea Minnie, well worth aspiring to, but I do wish the journey could be made more acceptable, as both of us are now 70yrs I would like some comfort, except that to pay about £4000 in business class seems way over the top, but a nice dream.

If you don't have family in New Zealand, Tenerife (or any of the Canary Islands presumably) might make a viable alternative for "overwintering".

A much easier and cheaper flight (4 hours or so).

We've been escaping the British winter for the past 6 years and are very happy with this arrangement.

That is the point Polremy. Both Ceejay and I have children in New Zealand. I always enjoy the flight over more than the return because of anticipation, excitement etc. While it's nice to get home I always worry on the return journey that everything's OK with the house....What with possible illness and old age cutting short future opportunities (insurance is expensive enough now) I'm determined to save to go each year until I have to give up. Fingers crossed it's later rather than sooner!