3 night city break

Chris

I know it's all about personal taste, but my wife and I are looking at options for a Eurostar break to either Lille or Bruge in early October. Is there enough to see in Lille to warrant a 3 day stay? Does anyone have recommendations re both/either? Thanks.

Wasn't Lille a European City of Culture in the recent past? So I imagine that there are things to see. And the grande braderie is at the beginning of September, which my lilleois neighbours said was good.

I could certainly spend a few days in Brugges quite happily. Lovely place.

For me  day trip to Lille was long enough though if the braderie were on then it would be worth a longer stay. I have enjoyed visiting Bruges several times and would happily return there for a few days.

The train journey to Lille is quicker than the journey to Bruges, I believe you have to go via Bruxelles to get to Bruges.

Do both.

One night in Lille (on arrival via Eurostar), then two nights in Bruges.

Far too cold up there at that time of the year in the dodgy North though. Come South.  Lyon, or even Avignon.  Better class of person. [:D]  

LOL Gardian, you can guarantee the weather in early October in Lyon or Avignon? I was not that far from Lyon and I would say that in general the weather there was usually comparible to the 'dodgy North'. And the times we visited Avignon at that time of year, I noticed in photos that I am wearing a very warm coat, although I remember no rain during these visits.

It depends how you like to spend your time. There are loads of museums in and around Lille (some involve a train or tram ride).

Sunday is obviously not a good day for shopping except in the Wazemmes street market, so do some research and earmark some museums for that day, and maybe a good resto for lunch.

I went a few years ago, and booked a Segway ride for the Saturday morning, which was really good fun. Dn't know if they are still on offer, but check out the Lille Tourist Board website to see.

I stayed at a Mercure hotel just beside the opera house. That was a perfect position, as uou could walk to all te city centre things.

Angela

Excuse typing; i am on a train and it's lurching around a bit!