Visas for India

Shelly

Hi, We're going to India in October. We have been told that we must apply for our visas in Paris as we live in France. Has anyone got any information on this. I've heard that it can take some time by post so it would be better to visit the office in Paris.

I applied for a visa to India a couple of years ago. It took me nearly a week to get all the documents together! Then about a fortnight until it arrived.

You can download the forms from the internet ( unless things have changed since then.) Plus one or two other documents which I can't remember.You need a banker's draft or money order, and send it by ?chronopost, so altogether it's quite expensive, about 130€ I think.

I have family there, and they want me to go again, obviously, but we'll see, there's a lot of preparation, injections, insurance  etc.

Hope you enjoy your holiday - India is a fascinating place.

ps if you're going in October you'd better get cracking! Even if you go to Paris for the visa I think it can take a few days.

Look on this website:

www.vfs-in-fr.com/english/

Also, you need to have at least 6 months on you current passport.

Do you mean your travel agent arranged it for you? If so that's interesting.

The first time we went, in 2006, I stayed in England for a week and went to the Indian Embassy in London with our passports. Waited in a long queue but got the visas the same morning. They don't do it like that any more.

[quote user="Lespearsons"]We used an independent agency based in Plumstead, I do not have their name. When we went you could not use the Indian Embassy as they had contracted the work out.[/quote]

ROFLPMP, thankyou Lespearsons...... and there was me thinking that so many, too many jobs, had been contracted out of the UK to India.

Ok so that may not be quite what you meant, but just the idea has cheered me up enormously![:D][:D][:D]

Hi,

I'm just about to send my husbands visa application off. Let's see. One of the problems is you have to have 2 photos done by a professionel 5cmX5cm. I could do our's through an agency in Paris but they want to charge 165 euros. My husbands is 119.50 by post doing it ourself. We have to pay an extra 30 for living here in France.

I'll let you know how it goes!!

[quote user="nomoss"]

Does one really need a visa for India these days?

I've been there several times, never needed one. Don't they make enough out of visitors without grabbing a bit more?

I think if I need a visa to go there again I just won't bother[:D]

[/quote]According to this website all foreign nationals require a visa to enter India.