Bordeaux hote recommendation

mint

Can someone please recommend a hotel in Bordeaux suitable for a couple of days' stay, which is central to tourist attractions?

I have 2 guests who have come to stay for a fortnight and now, after 2 days, find our little backwater rather lacking in "interesting things to do".  To be honest, I am finding them a bit difficult to keep amused.

Best to pack them off for a couple of days to Bordeaux, is my cunning scheme.  But I'd like them to be able to stay comfortably and enjoyably somewhere convenient.

Price, within reason, doesn't need to be such that answers have to be mentioned only in the Money-saving Expat Forum.

Thanks for coming to save my sanity. 

If these unimaginative people have proposed themselves for a fortnight, and after a mere two days are incapable of getting themselves from under their hostess's feet, then Bordeaux is much too close.  You are allowing them the possibility of boomeranging back within hours.

The Hôtel des Prélats at the ravishing town of Nancy is very acceptable.  (Long journey and no motorway.)

Or, clench your teeth and do what I am doing  -  stripping acres of extremely stubborn vinyl wallpaper.  Make it seem even worse that it really is (though it is, in fact, not too bad) and the most dreary and unmotivated guests suddenly find very good reasons for Going Out,

Thanks for the suggestions and Gengulphus' made me really wish I could follow his advice.

Anyway, objective achieved today (or, as footballers always say when interviewed "we have a result"[:'(])  Put them on the train to Bordeaux, having booked tickets and hotel on-line yesterday.

Very surprised at how difficult it was to book a hotel in the centre as even the upmarket hotels didn't have les chambres disponibles.  Still, I persevered as I didn't want them coming back after just a day trip!  Eventually got them a modern hotel on the Quai Bacalan.

Now will have to go and collect them from the station on Friday but at least I have got them out of my hair for 3 nights and then, it will only be a few more nights before we put them on the train for Paris CDG [:D][:D][:D]

[quote user="Catalpa"]I missed this earlier, Sweets, otherwise I would have recommended:

http://lamaisondesvignes.free.fr/

Guests stayed there last year before coming to us and they were really impressed and told us if ever we were to be in Bordeaux... etc.

But too late for your friends... [:D]

[/quote]

Does look very good and excellent value for money, Catalpa.  Would't mind staying there myself for a few nights to wander about after the summer season.

BTW, for anyone interested, I am told only this afternoon that the shuttle bus from the railway station to the airport is very cheap and runs on the hour. Nice news for me as it's now quite a drag from the present house to Mérignac.