Pas de Calais - Somme battlefields visits

sueyh

Yesterday we had lunch in a lovely cafe/bar in Boubers-sur-Canche in the beautiful 7 valleys region. Pretty close to the Somme region. A three course mid-day meal 11.50 euros, the best chips in the Pas de Calais. Lovely welcome. They also have a gite to rent out. http://www.bouberssurcanche-villagefleuri.com/bar_restaurant_gite_la_cremaillere_493.htm

Suey

Suey,

You're making me jealous. We do day trips to Calais via the tunnel and are members of The Wine Society which has it French hq in Montreuil. We also stayed at a campsite at Drancourt near St Valery-sur-Somme. I imagine the area will be quite crowded this summer. We enjoy going to small PMU bar/cafes for lunch.

My grandfather is buried in an American WWI cemetery near Verdun and we have visited it.

David

I dont see any reason for them to add anything to what they have posted, it was a recommendation not a request for help, in the latter case I do agree that its bad form when people do not acknowledge replies.

Were this was their first and only posting then you would be justified to suspect that it was an advert but they have had 673 previous posts

Well David, living amongst the Somme battlefields I can tell you that any restaurant within 250kms of here that does a 4 course menu de jour with wine for less than €15 is Worth shouting from the rooftops.

A couple did them for €11 nine years ago but they are all minimum €15 now and with less courses than before, perhaps no drink or coffee and the quality has gone right down, the new Flunch is packed every day even though if you wanted the same offering it would cost a lot more than €15

I for one will be checking out this place, I know a good meal can still be had for that price, plenty of people in the South speak of their favorites, it will be a pleasant surprise to see that there is still one up here.

I had always understood that anything with Estrée--- in the name was likely to be on a Roman road, but this one looks to be on a pretty wiggly road so seems a tad unlikely.

The explanation on a local website reads:

Le saviez-vous ? le nom du village pourrait venir du mot «estran », la plage : ceci expliquerait pourquoi une pirogue datant de l’époque romaine a été retrouvée dans les tourbières du village en 1834 !

I suppose "estran" would be the equivalent of the English "strand" to denote the shore.

Maybe it was a cattle drovers' route, a place to ford/cross a river or stream, since it seems to be among peat bog today.

Angela

Angela,

Thanks for that. I have copied and printed it for my wife to look at as she speaks French.

The D48, the nearest road to Estreboeuf, is a bit wiggly, but might have been a Roman road at some point. Maybe I'll check...

David

There are many Roman roads innorthern France, specially radiating from places like Amiens, Arras and Cassel.

You have Estrées-lès-Crécy, just off the Abbeville to Hesdin road, which claims that the name derives from the Latin "strada", for road.

Also, on the lovely D341 from Arras to Thérouanne, Estrée-Cauchy and Estrée-Blanche;

And, on the road from Amiens to Saint-Quentin, Estrée-Danicourt and Estrée-Mons;

to name but a few...

Angela

Thanks for that Angela, there are lots of Estrée's around me and I hadnt realised the significance, the one Arrow straight Roman road that I use to Amiens I dont think has any though although I have just found estrées en chaussé on the N29, now that is a straight road if ever there was one!

oh yes, Estrée sDeniecourt also

If you are ever heading to Boulogne off-autoroute, I can thoroughly recommend taking the D341 Arras-Thérouanne and then following its kink left to Boulogne. It's a beautiful drive, up hill and down dale, no traffic, lovely countryside...

Angela