Dog Friendly Hotels

JeanS

We're planning to drive down to Murcia from 36 in early July to stay with OH's brother.  Does anyone have any knowledge of any Dog friendly hotels/B&Bs on that route.  Thought 1st night around Beziers area and second around Tarragona - breaking the trip into 3 x 300 mile days.

Any suggestions greatfully accepted!!Sad [:(]

We always used to stop at the Campaniles on our way down to Spain and back with dogs.  Excellent motel style ground floor rooms where noone even sees them go in and out and noone even checked.  We used to say at the reception that we had dogs and they just gave us the key.

http://www.campanile.fr/fr/default.aspx

http://campanile.voyagesdunet.com/espagne.html

The Ibis chain also take dogs and, indeed, many privately-owned hotels.

If in doubt, ring beforehand.  We did find that, even just driving into a strange town (that is, one we don't know), it's still possible to find a hotel that would take a dog (sometimes at a small charge, sometimes entirely free).

Don't know about the Spanish leg of your trip, however.  If you do find out, could you please come here and post?

We have toyed with the idea of taking our dog to Spain but we are not sure about Spanish attitudes/arrangements for dogs in public spaces.

We did find that eventually if they took dogs, that they always put us in a 'smokers' room. If some people find the smell of dogs offensive, then I find stale clopes even worse.

Not all the chains take them and I always called and asked.

Thanks for all replies - I have 'googled' found a rather nice one but on checking, they don't take dogs, so why advertise as 'Pet Friendly'.

However, still got a few weeks, so hopefully time to do more research.

• 1 month later...

Holiday over - used 3 hotels, and had no real problem with the dog, apart from the lifts - she didn't like them.

Stayed in Hotel Jaime 1 in Castellon part of the Sercotel group. Very good and inexpensive. The Ibis budget was ok - a bit basic but cheap.

The hotel in France was part of the Logis de France and was the most expensive.

Used www.booking.com for the 2 Spanish hotels and the Logis site for the French one.

• 3 years later...

At the pet-friendly Rentals complex where I live,

residents aren't charged extra for birds. Other complexes in my area

(near Kissimmee,Florida) that are supposedly pet friendly don't allow pets at all, just dogs and cats , and at least one complex allows only

indoor cats.

The first thing I do when booking an Hotel is to check if it takes dogs, if it does; I immediately cross it off of my list. The last thing I want to sleep in; is a room that some flea bitten animal has been in.

I have had people turn up a few times claiming that they didnt know, that its a loveable dog, no trouble at all blah blah blah, I may be a dog lover but I wont even have one in my accommodation because it would have some affect plus the sneaky ones who I throw out on the street would have some ammunition.

I even had a Yyung couple sneak in the dog and then go out to eat for the evening, it started barking, howling, scratching and pi55ing, I put it out and got Booking.com to phone them and tell them to return straight away and move out.