Expensive hotel ignored my email re problem!

Blodwyn

Recently had 3 nights in an expensive seaside hotel, top of the list on Trip Advisor etc.

The room was OK, nothing special, the bathroom basin was cracked and the bath (with shower over) was narrow in the middle, with two fixed metal flaps (armrests?) at the narrowest point. Day one I scratched my leg. Last day, I thought I'd try the 'whirlpool' bath. Somehow as I sat down my leg got stuck across the bath, knee wedged under a metal flap, foot under the other one. I really panicked as it's a horrible feeling not to be able to move. I envisaged having to call a handyman to release me (cringe!) Hubby managed to force my leg out and I was left with a bruise. The whirlpool effect didn't work anyway...

I mentioned it at reception and was told 'I'll look at it'. The only way to fix that bath is to replace it. Back home, I emailed, politely, pointing out the problem, how I felt, and suggesting having a bath like that in a hotel was not a good idea. No reply. If I was American I'd have sued for physical injury and emotional distress! Surely I could have expected an apology, or at least a reply?

[quote user="Blodwyn"]Recently had 3 nights in an expensive seaside hotel, top of the list on Trip Advisor etc.

The room was OK, nothing special, the bathroom basin was cracked and the bath (with shower over) was narrow in the middle, with two fixed metal flaps (armrests?) at the narrowest point. [/quote]

Presuming this was in France not to receive a reply to an email is not that unusual. Seeing that it was a complaint the management might have taken more notice if you had sent a registered letter - might.

Sorry to hear of your disappointing stay as it is awful to experience smthg like that ... but did you not look around the room and bathroom before taking it ?

In a 3* hotel in Saint Malo, having booked a (superior) room for a 2 night stay, I was not at all impressed upon arrival when we were shown around the room as it seemed very cold. Asking if they had an alternative room we were shown another - not so hot either. Rejecting that too the manager then came on the scene. He had a quick look at the 2 I had rejected, said he would contact maintenance about them both, and showed us a third - cheaper room - which was much much nicer ... and warmer. We took that.

Moral, be prepared to reject something that is not right, especially if you are paying a lot for it.

Sue

You might expect an apology but hell would freeze over before you would ever get one.

As for a reply, well did you ask for a reply or ask any specific question that requires a response or just tell them your views about the bath?

Knowing how busy I am at the moment, not enough time in the day to clean and prepare rooms, recieve guests, handle payments and enquiries I would struggle to find the time to respond to an E mail if it wasn't asking for a response.

The hotel is probably more likely to reply to a review on Tripadvisor.

I would also write a letter to the BIG BOSS if it was a chain hotel. He/she would not be too pleased to be presented with a letter of a problem that should have been sorted out at the hotel and will possibly tread on a few fingers.

If it is a chain jobbie you should be able to get some info by googling the chain name. I haven't done that for hotels, but I have done it for a couple of other problems and it seems to work..

Yes, I know about lack of response in France: hospital, prefecture, tourist office, hotel, bank....

We are pretty easy going and not in the habit of complaining. The hotel was full and we didn't inspect the bathroom before the staff member left; never registered the bath was, frankly, dangerous. And we are not yet doddery!

I looked online and found no info on the owners. I don't think it's one of a chain. I'm left with the impression that they have our money and couldn't care less! Would have expected more concern from somewhere that claims to be special. Yes, it was busy, but there were plenty of staff and the manager would not be involved in housekeeping tasks. And how long does it take to email? They were quick enough when we were asking about booking! So although we loved the town and the views, we are left with a feeling of disappointment after high hopes and spending more than we normally would.

We'd only booked 3 nights, it was a short break between OH's regular hospital treatments and we didn't need the stress of possible unpleasantness and having to look round for another hotel because of a cracked washbasin and a scratched leg.

As I said in my post, the leg in bath episode happened on the last morning.

Well honestly, Blodwyn, I would go with a mention on Trip advisor. You could say which room you had, so you are jot slagging off all of them in case the others were fine.

After all, you have emailed the hotel and had no response.

Angela

Thanks Angela, I intended to do that, but gave them a chance to reply first.

Contrast this experience with my night in a UK chain hotel last week. (Decent bathroom, £55 a night. ) They sent an email questionnaire, to which I replied (no complaints) and the next day I received a personal email thanking me.

I love France but - and French friends agree - businesses and services so often have terribly poor customer service.

I once tried the top, second and third restaurants in Dinan , rated on TA.

After that I realised that other people may not share our standards, not in a snobby way but different things may be more or less important than they are to us.

Sadly we lunched at Restaurant 1 before making for home and this was the year of the Brittany Ferries strike...so suddenly we had to drive to Calais instead of Caen ! The meal was so bad that I felt pretty poorly most of the way and I was navigating from instructions on the BF site..in a CiroenC3 Picasso, a car that was not comfortable for such a long journey......a never to be repeated experience.

Within a few weeks we'd changed the car...

For reference if in Dinan, head for Mr Robert, can't go wrong !!

TA reviewers are mixed, as are other hotel review sites.  Some reviewers dislike the most ridiculous things, like location, which they could have checked out before, other think it is wonderful.  When comparing reviews of those places we have eaten at or stayed in, and I've put a few up myself, I am ever amazed by the variant likes and dislikes. 

So all reviews need to be put into context - they are personal opinions only, and we all like or dislike different things.  If you go to a chain hotel you do not expect a luxury hotel - but it's amazing how many people do!  Or how many expect luxury for the low price they are only prepared to pay!

As RH says, our standards are different from others.

Still TA is a good way to evaluate what it might be like, taking on board the various viewpoints.

• 2 weeks later...
I agree, some reviews are puzzling but if there are a lot and they are mostly good, they do help. e.g. people posted that the 19.50 breakfast was not worth it, so we went a few yards along the beach and had a basic but very acceptable one for 8 euros.

One person complained that the Michelin starred resto didn't serve kiddy meals. But if you want chicken nuggets and chips....

[quote user="Judith"]  If you go to a chain hotel you do not expect a luxury hotel - but it's amazing how many people do!  Or how many expect luxury for the low price they are only prepared to pay!

[/quote]

I have always known that price is a percieved indicator of quality and now I am beginning to think that the less money people pay the more they expect.

I am speaking of my reviews on Booking.com which were always very good but there were a few low scores, often anonymous and rarely with any comments so you really cant tell what they didnt like, then there were others with good scores but sometimes unreasonable (only my opinion) comments/expectations.

This year I have doubled my prices, nothing else has changed but the guest reviews have become even better, its been rare not to get a 10/10 and to be fair on two of the scores, the welcome and the location no way would I award myself 10/10, compared to some of the hosts where I have stayed before in France, mainly the woman I only deserve a 1/10.

When I asked a guest this morning if everything was alright, if there was anything they needed he said that they needed more pillows, I said did you not use the spare pillows stored in the see through zipped bags that I showed you and he replied yes but there are not enough, there was him and his 2 off grid expressive and entitled grandchildren and they had 2 pillows each, he said that the children are used to having 3 pillows each. Were I a high end hôtel I would have demeured with smiling grace and indulged them but I explained to him that I was sorry but I could not grant his request.

Then the very Young children who are not lacking in confidence asked why they could not get childrens channels in English  on the TV, why was the bed hard etc etc............

They may not be lacking in confidence speaking to adults but they are lacking in a wash, a haircut and some clean clothes, I must look carefully later in daylight to see if their dark skin is because of mixed race, exposure to the sun or what I thought it was, they only arrived late last night and already the place is un bordel, 2 more nights and I will have an awfull lot of housekeeping to do.

Chancer, Interesting what you say.  I am ever amazed at the expectations of tripadvisor or booking.com commentators, but this goes with the territory of us all having different expectations and being brought up with different ideas ... I do admit to having some disbelief in the price of some accommodation ...

I really do not need an overnight stay to be anything other than clean, comfortable (ie decent bed, choice of pillows and bedding), an adequately sized bathroom, a comfy seat and enough space to unpack my suitcase, and adequate heating or a/c depending on location and season.  I purposefully choose accommodation which has a resto if possible, hence I prefer hotels, as the last thing I want to do is go out again to eat if I've been driving all day.  Extra services, I do not need.

For longer stays, my basics remain the same, I like quality but do not need excessive service (as seems to happen, I am told in the far east in top quality hotels), but a bit more luxury than for an overnight does not go amiss.  However, as you say, these days, it is not difficult to achieve this.

But I realise this is obtained at a higher price, and am wiling to pay it.

I am still amazed what people are prepared not to pay, and what they expect for that low price.  If the only way is to increase prices to "remove" such expectations, so be it. 

It wasn't my intention but an unexpected result of raising the prices to reduce demand/maximise profit.

Win-win really.

Good service costs nothing more than a smile, something I have always been happy to give away [:'(][:D]

I took a Customer to a local restaurant on Friday that was one of the few that practiced the above, I think it must have changed hands, the Customer said to me "I dont believe that they were actually full (it was 8pm) and even if all the empty tables were reserved I cannot believe hos rude she was to you and I"

I told her that wasn't being rude, at least by local standards, the waitress was actually a friend of mine someone that I run with at least twice a week [:-))]

I took her to another place, gourmet food, much more expensive, always booked weeks ahead, I said there is little chance but at least they will be polite, they were, they smiled, they offered to clear the table in front of the reception desk by the front door if we would not mind eating there, of course we didnt and the meal and service as always there was a delight. And only €10 per head more than the routier.