Toulouse

Lehaut

Decided to come south to explore Toulouse for a week. Have hired a flat on the 5th floor, just alongside the river 20 mins walk from the centre. What has surprised/dissapointed us are the number of "marginals* living/existing around the city, under bridges, sleeping in parks etc. Given the rubbish left every where (despite bins and cleaners) plus the smell around public areas, we check very carefully before even sitting on a bench. Eldest studied here 4 years ago and said it was just as bad then. And the noise at.night. Crazed laughing, disputes, animal like howling. We sleep with the windows in Nantes so nocturnal explosions etc we are used to. It seems far worse here. Do these people find it easier to live in the south?

I'm glad you posted this Lehaut as we were considering a visit.  I remember when we lived in Bédoin, I would hear terrible stories about Toulouse.  Never had a clue how true (or not) they were.  That was more than 10 years ago.

But then Avignon has also changed considerably in 10 years.  It lost a huge amount of its charm, IMO.  Where I used to really enjoy a day trip to Avignon back in the day, I avoid it like the plague now (short of the better doctors being there).

We are just in from a 10km walk round the magnificent public gardens, and the cathedral, out of the main center. Many of the streets are filled with architectural treats for the eye. The driverless metro is great fun. Dont think we will go out after dark though.