Dieppe/Newhaven

We have been travelling from Cherbourg to Dieppe (3hrs) for the past year and we are still only paying 68Euros for a Three Day return (Up to 5 Passengers with car) Popped over this week and picked up latest tarif. Only 199Euros for 10 Day return right through until mid July. AND if you travel more than three times a year you get 20% Discount. They are friendly and helpful You pay at the port AND you do not need to be there until 3/4 hour before you sale. Unfortunately no fast boat this year but 2 new boats in October cutting crossing time to 3hrs instead of present 4. The Auto Route costs us 13Euros each way plus Gasol 40Euros AND IT IS STILL CHEAPER than Cherbourg or Le Havre or Ouestreham.

I knew a teacher would pick up the error - I think there might be a clue in the title of the post Dick. As it's a 3hr crossing I imagine the company under discussion is Transmanche.

It's a service that I have often urged people to look at, run by the Seine Maritime Regional Council, though it can be very badly run at times - it has just resumed after an incident in Dieppe about which the least said the better (though not as bad as the similar July 2004 accident). Mind you, I've seen some sights on the bridge of P&O ferries too...

Quick Reply> Dear Both 1. Yes it is Transmanche and 2. I should re-phrase 1st sentence - It cost us 68Euros from Dieppe to Newhaven Aller/Retour 3 days (and not Cherbourg to Dieppe!) After 15th March it will be 85Euros until mid July. Last year in MidSummer we paid 109Euros.

Beware Internet booking though - Much more expensive. Just phone the port everytime 0800 650 100

Brittany Ferries quoting upwards of 269Euros at the moment plus £400 for Easter W/E!! There have been demonstrations at Cherbourg Terminal by French & English alike plus B & B bookings have been cancelled.